Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average. Display Modes
Old 28-05-2011, 17:47   #436
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Can Jeanneau , Bavaria or Beneteau Be Good as Ocean Crossing Boats ?

The BCC is a total my$tery to me. Highly thumbed up in reputation, but I don't get the cost and the hold in value. Who buys?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 18:14   #437
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Who buys?
Prolly someone from overseas.

Converted into a non-US currency its only 4 Bob Ha'Penny.

Nice varnish.

Wonder if its Chipboard?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 18:19   #438
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Wonder if its Chipboard?
+10
Old 30-05-2011, 11:04   #439

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

The BBC is one of the great cruisers, and hess is a fantastic designer.. Pardey's boat is a hess design.. biut the BBC is only a 28 foot boat.. many were built by owners and could be bought new in any part of completion.. there is one in Costa Mesa thats been up for sale for a few years for somewhere around 50k..
if the idea is in mind to build a boat, Hess has a daughter that has all the plans still for sale.. was talking to Larry Pardey a year or two ago and the story is there is are plans to build a 42 foot that is on the same "wine glass" design as the BBC or the Pardey's boat but has never been built..
A 42 foot wine glass is about the only boat I'd give mine up for............
went to a "Hess Design" gathering in Richmond a few years ago.. about 10 BBC's showed up.. really cool the different ways each person completed the boat to their own specs.. one was owned by a guy who owned a vineyard up in Napa.. the center post and all trim was done in grape vines that had been blasted with a sand blaster taking all the soft wood out.. the result was a twisted piece of wood.. I think he grew the vines to fit the areas used within the boat.....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:19   #440
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

hi, what's the verdict like? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
Hmmm, going Sailing on Sunday, looks like it may well be on a Jeanneau, never been on one before, ive done the Bavaria 44 over 2 weekly periods so this is a 1st, will give you my humble opinion Sunday nite
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:41   #441
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ato View Post
hi, what's the verdict like? :-)

Unfortunately the weather did not smile on us and altough we had brilliant sunshine we had no wind! We ended up on the Bavaria 44 again and just took a journey of around 3 hours under power around Gibraltar Bay! Ive started looking at the Valiants again, I looked at this boat for the 1st time about a year ago, it seems if you avoid the blister problem years between 1977 and 1981 (the problem hulls are numbered) you can get a really good solid boat for a sensible figure!! Ive seen one that confused me somewhat as the draft was a little over 4ft?? I really do like the look of this boat though, but there dont seem to be many in Europe!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:39   #442

Hmmm, apparently it's a toss of the die.

Before a trans Atlantic crossing,
Attachment 27981

A few days later...
120 miles off Nantucket, and a mayday
Attachment 27982

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 13:49   #443
cruiser

seahunter - wheres the backstory? Seems to me that they might have not upped their rigging or inspected it...that wouldn't be cause to disconnect from the boat manu/model itself. All boats have similar issues.
Old 02-06-2011, 14:20   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
seahunter - wheres the backstory? Seems to me that they might have not upped their rigging or inspected it...that wouldn't be cause to disconnect from the boat manu/model itself. All boats have similar issues.
Firstly, I don't believe "All boats have similar issues". Bennies and Jennies aren't set up from the factory for safe blue water passages period. Albeit, the question begins with "Can?", the tin of the responses has been "would I?". Hell, they take on blue water in bathtubs where I come from, but does that make it safe? More importantly, is it responsible seamanship to head into the wild blue yonder with inadequate equipment (besides a sat phone)?

Attachment 27993

As for the back story: VIDEO: Coast Guard rescues pair off Nantucket after giant wave snaps mast - - Wicked Local - Cape Cod

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 14:43   #445

Boat: deboated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Firstly, I don't believe "All boats have similar issues". Bennies and Jennies aren't set up from the factory for safe blue water passages period. Albeit, the question begins with "Can?", the tin of the responses has been "would I?". Hell, they take on blue water in bathtubs where I come from, but does that make it safe? More importantly, is it responsible seamanship to head into the wild blue yonder with inadequate equipment (besides a sat phone)?
Well as usuall the same suspects (old boat owners) making the same anti comments about modern designs. I used to own a Kelly Peterson 44 70's boat rated as one of the all time cruising boats. Now I don't want to spoil the mith but that boat did not come from the factory set up to go SAFE blue water sailing either, it also had design faults lots. For the record my wife likes sailing but has made one rule no more old boats nor old style and she gets no argument from me so much so that I would rather not have a boat than something along the lines of a Valiant etc Not sure if I made this point before but last year talking to a broker he mentioned that anything 15/20 years old were very hard to move so I guess the majority think so as well.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 14:45   #446
cruiser

beneteau series I am pretty sure does.
i don't know many out of the factory boats that do
preparing any boat for ocean most likely needs an upgrade refresh, especially the rigging which is undersized or old.

the failure in the photo is related to the rigging from what I can see, and therefore suspicious. Tell me what else went wrong. Where's the proof?

BTW I am saltymonkey - a monkey who has old fashion prejudices and crufty full keels, but e'en I do not believe this story.
Old 02-06-2011, 16:14   #447

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
.. Jennies and Bennies aren't new designs, they're just cheap plastic knock offs to appease the rock and roll set. If (the founder) Benjamin was still around he'd wet his pants at the crap the company is selling today. IKEA might as well start selling them in their parking lots.
Beneteau's are CE certified "Open Ocean" (read blue water). There may be more ideal designs in many people's minds, but they are certified. That is something they need to earn, and it is not just a "design standard".
Old 02-06-2011, 16:16   #448
cruiser

yehaaah seahunter. Saltymonkkey knows a lot about this rogue wave stuff, and lemme tell ya ain't nothing - not even a steel aircraft carrier - gonna do well @ 100 tons per sq metre and a 30 metre wave. Love hearin folks braggard about how thinky their OLD fiberglass boat is. The rogues are great equalizers...yaaa? .sooooo

all things being equal i is a guessin dis bennie thing aint too shabby aye buckeye? And wearin a speedo on one is kinda cool too!

Its all in the dang captain who negres on upgrading his rig IMKO! 1x18 staylock or pay the price.
Old 02-06-2011, 16:25   #449

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Attachment 27993

Dont know where you've been keeping your head stuck...But My boat, A Beneteau, was not only built for open ocean crossing, but open ocean Racing. It was built to compete in the "Admiral's Cup" and after almost 30 years in service, she still runs with the BIG DOGS....OFFSHORE!!
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 18:40   #450

Boat: Orca 38
hehehehe you guys are all pretty cool in my book! After a day at work, the entertainment doesn't get much better than this!

Sail on!

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, jeanneau, monohull, ocean crossing, offshore