Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 22:54   #31

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: Can I extend my anchor chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Better tell that to Evan Starsinger. He's got more miles of cruising behind him than half the list combined. Wear on the line run through the chain links is minimal. Have used Nylon braid run through the links of chain on my mooring lines forever and have seen very little wear. Do redo the bowlines every couple of years to change the wear point but thats more for my piece of mind than actual need. These new synthetic lines are way way more resistant to chafe than nylon. As I said, would want to inspect the join on each use of the chain but the line is probably safer to use than a standard 'C' link. With attention to length of the line in the join, should go through the chain gypsy without a hiccup.
Well, I am afraid that I also cannot conceive of trusting a dyneema or similar lashing int his application. I have had dyneema, spectra, and even the far more chafe resistant Kevlar part under tension when chafed on a sharp edge, many times, in many applications. For example I was dumped into the Bay of Islands in NZ a while back as the spectra line I was trapezing on chafed through under tension, on the edge of the plastic hand toggle it went through. That line was rated to around 4 times my body weight and was brand new. Try this if you like: take a length of dyneema or spectra, put it in HIGH TENSION, then take a blade or simply sharpish edge in a slicing motion to it. It will part pretty much instantly. Try the same with steel… there really is no comparison.

Anchor rodes have a rough time on the bottom, and I have zero doubt that coral, even coral rubble, would slice through dyneema lashing under tension in short order.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 22:59   #32

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

AFKASAP. What is it I'm missing here?
Why wouldn't you put the 40mt you don't want onto the stern with an appropriately located hawser & roller? You'll then have a stern anchor or at least something to shackle one to.
Then buy as much as you want for the bower.
Easy, unless of course your sterner already exists.
cheers.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 23:09   #33

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
Hi there,

I don't have enough anchor chain. I would like to add additional chain to my existing chain. I have googled some chain links for connecting two chains but some say they are only for temporary use. I need it to run though the anchor winch like the rest of the chain.

My concern obviously relates to the possibility that the connector link will be a week point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
Too those who asked about how much I have, I have 40m and want 75m

Beneteau Oceanis 40 - 2008
Netherlands
Hello. We had a similar situation... two 60m pieces and wanted to join them.

For what its worth: We used C-links for about two years of travel and anchoring out. This was in British Columbia, CA, and Washington State, USA, with decent tidal swings and quite a few gale force wind experiences. No problems encountered.

But - for my own piece of mind - I replaced the link every three months and that didn't matter if it went wet or sat in the anchor chain locker. Just my way, and that was long before I'd even heard of CF.

{Finally sold the last kid & bought a 400 foot chunk of chain. }
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 23:22   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Well, I am afraid that I also cannot conceive of trusting a dyneema or similar lashing int his application. I have had dyneema, spectra, and even the far more chafe resistant Kevlar part under tension when chafed on a sharp edge, many times, in many applications. For example I was dumped into the Bay of Islands in NZ a while back as the spectra line I was trapezing on chafed through under tension, on the edge of the plastic hand toggle it went through. That line was rated to around 4 times my body weight and was brand new. Try this if you like: take a length of dyneema or spectra, put it in HIGH TENSION, then take a blade or simply sharpish edge in a slicing motion to it. It will part pretty much instantly. Try the same with steel… there really is no comparison.

Anchor rodes have a rough time on the bottom, and I have zero doubt that coral, even coral rubble, would slice through dyneema lashing under tension in short order.
A couple of points: Evans isn't using the Dyneema under tension UNLESS the joining link fails. It is set up with some slack when the chain is taught. If the link fails, then the Dyneema takes up the load.

The other thing is that trawler men are using dyneema line to replace wire rope, very successfully. Anecdotally, we've been told that it outlasts wire under those very harsh, high chafe conditions. I think it is better than what you represent in the above quote.

But the main point is that many folks have used the C-links successfully, without the Dyneema backup. They are an industry standard, well understood and in common use. I don't worry about ours, and see no reason that the OP can't accomplish what he wants to do using them.

Jim
Old 12-12-2015, 23:31   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A couple of points: Evans isn't using the Dyneema under tension UNLESS the joining link fails. It is set up with some slack when the chain is taught. If the link fails, then the Dyneema takes up the load.

The other thing is that trawler men are using dyneema line to replace wire rope, very successfully. Anecdotally, we've been told that it outlasts wire under those very harsh, high chafe conditions. I think it is better than what you represent in the above quote.

But the main point is that many folks have used the C-links successfully, without the Dyneema backup. They are an industry standard, well understood and in common use. I don't worry about ours, and see no reason that the OP can't accomplish what he wants to do using them.

Jim
I misunderstood that it was to be used as a lashing backup or adjunct to C links. In that application I think why not? Sure thing. As to whether trawler use is truly high chafe? Not unless it is bottom trawling with the line on the bottom. Drum winches are precisely designed to avoid sharp chafe or cross cutting action. In tensile conditions dyneema is superb. Is it better than steel in terms of sharp chafe/cut resistance? Not on your nelly.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 13-12-2015, 00:01   #36

Boat: valiant 40

In an ideal world we would replace my chain, but We make choices as to where we spend our security dollar, and not trusting our c link doesn't keep us awake at night. I recently watched a tv show called preppers about a guy building a underground shelter for himself. He had spent 400, 000 us on preparation for the for the comming shifting of the poles, he would have been classified as morbidly obese and could hardly get behind the wheel of his car.I kept thinking that a good diet and a defibrillator would be much more likely to save his life, so its one of the choices we all make every day.
Cheers
Old 13-12-2015, 00:04   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancoombe View Post
In an ideal world we would replace my chain, but We make choices as to where we spend our security dollar, and not trusting our c link doesn't keep us awake at night. I recently watched a tv show called preppers about a guy building a underground shelter for himself. He had spent 400, 000 us on preparation for the for the comming shifting of the poles, he would have been classified as morbidly obese and could hardly get behind the wheel of his car.I kept thinking that a good diet and a defibrillator would be much more likely to save his life, so its one of the choices we all make every day.
Cheers
Old 13-12-2015, 07:33   #38

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Sounds like several sailors here have used the C-links and never had the misfortune of encountering a storm of sufficient strength to prove that choice's weakness.

I'll stick with my continuous 270' length of 3/8 G4, thank you.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 08:47   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Sell the too-short chain (or use it with rope for a spare) and replace with one piece the correct length.
Well that is wasteful. Just use a connecting link. If you want overkill, weld the connecting link closed. We never had a problem with doing that to our bbb chain.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 09:00   #40

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Acco Chain Anchor Rode Swivel 440640011 | eBay

Acco chain swivel.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 09:30   #41
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Sounds like several sailors here have used the C-links and never had the misfortune of encountering a storm of sufficient strength to prove that choice's weakness.

I'll stick with my continuous 270' length of 3/8 G4, thank you.

so, what storm were you in when your C-link failed? What's the story? Tell us what happened. A lot of people here interested in your negative C-link experiences. Most important question, after the storm forces exceeded the 2700 lb working load of your C-link and your anchor rode parted, Did you survive?
Old 13-12-2015, 09:32   #42

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Acco swivel.
Please dear poster, Im very inexperienced. Would you explain to me how you get the swivel to pass thru the gypsy. But if it can't, how do you man-handle it around the gypsy
'into the hawser, especially when there is so much load on the chain (6knots current or 50kt winds) that the catenary has virtually disappeared?
My boat is small so I don't know much and am keen to learn.
To those who expoll the virtues of joiners....are these joiners always as strong as the chain, g3, BBB, or whatever?
Is it just me who thinks that the a/chain of my home should have no potentially weak links.
Some of these posts bewilder me, but, then my small boat has never travelled more than 150nm of the Tasman Sea in one trip, nor in anything more than 4 metre seas.
I feel life a fish out of water as a poster....should it be a requirement that to qualify as a poster one MUST have, at least, crossed one of the 3 oceans?
Or own a boat valued at in excess of, an arbitrary figure, say $75,000 USD.
Or perhaps have graduated university minimum 3 times.
Drifting here.....
Please help.
SO...many posts confuse me.
In anticipation, thanks Brian Metcalfe.
Old 13-12-2015, 09:34   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
prove that choice's weakness.
You are a happy chap!

Bought a boat yet?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 09:46   #44

I've got no opinion about this link system, so probably ought to just shut up, but I am wondering if this is a practical worry. As one poster pointed out, you have to decide how to spend your security budget and this does sound a bit on the outside - I sailed with a guy with a lot of cruising miles, who always put out two anchors, not matter what - IIRC, he told me he'd been dragged once in the Greek Islands where wind came over a high hill than sped up to 60 knots - but he dragged - did not break the chain - isn't that the likely outcome even if the link is "only" good for say 2000#?
boatbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 09:47   #45

Someone please help Mark J
He asked terranova if he'd bought a boat yet.
Knowing nothing about Terra I went to his profile and saw the he has a Freya 39. And it seems that he's a boat builder too which proves he knows nothing at all (!).
I'd love to tell Mark how I got this info on Terra but only been posting 2 weeks and find all of this trying.
Would one of Marks mates PM him and explain how I got to find out that Terra already has a boat?

Tags
anchor