Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2015, 21:40   #121

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Can I extend my anchor chain?

Whether or not you believe me, Brian, the us I had in mind when asking that question was CF. Jim may or may not post to this thread, but I am my own mistake making person on this forum. We do not consult each other relative to posts, each doing his or her own thing.

Cheers,

I'm outta here for today.

Ann
Old 14-12-2015, 21:49   #122

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Hi Ann.
Been tapping away on this tablet for C. 15 minutes, browser died, lost the lot.
A condensation: I wasn't "funning". The thousand links were "all free".
But, you've said it already, yes you have no links if possible.
Re Bondi. I'm not standing anchor watches, confident that my 250' X 8mm pwb chain and Supreme will keep me off that lee shore and none of us likes lee shores I'm guessing. I really need to not be afraid, multiple limb injuries and other reasons mean I need sleep security = no fear.
I'm a Seinfeld, BBC, ABC, Attenborough addict and so I need line of sight for my OceanTalk tuner and my preferred signal strength demands preclude boltholes. In THE BASIN I anchor outside the blue Police buoy in 50', only place I get 100% perfect reception.
I'm puzzelled as to why you seek Guys opinion re links. Ditto mine. You guys have more experience than most so why would you be interested in Brian Metcalfes ...24 foot Triton...
opinion...still can't understand.
By the way, if and when it all goes belly-up & I get caught off Bondi, on the end of my 250 of chain will be my snubber....which normally is a metre long. But this snubber is sheeted off in the cockpit which holds another 25 metres of 12mm 16plait.
My snubber hangs over the bow by only 3 feet but it runs thru fairleads to the port side mooring cleat, alloy, where the rest is part of a 30m length, controlled in and out by my primary sheet winch. Snubber has a huge spliced thimble & normal 8mm hook. I can remove the hook and then shackle thimble to chain. Same snubber for last 3 years, like new, 5 fairleads,no chafe.
Never ever picked up a mooring anywhere in last 4 years other than Spit Bridge for an hour or four.
When I arrive at Manly and there are 5 moorings vacant...I anchor off.
Enough huh? Getting a sore throat.
Brian
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 21:55   #123

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Total belief, suspicion evaporated.
Please accept apologies for my doubt.
Sincerely
Brian.
Old 15-12-2015, 05:17   #124

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
What a great catalog. Did you notice that stud chain was more than twice as strong as regular chain? All the connecting links seemed to have a center pin or stud also. Too bad it was all at least 3/4"
And this is why I can't understand your argument and fascination with stud link chain (not that there is anything wrong with that…).

This chain simply doesn't exist in sizes and standards that fit most recreational boats and their windlasses.

Using your argument, you are in peril NOT having stud link chain, regardless of your feelings about C-links.

I don't understand why you keep bringing it up?

As for why stud link chain is used, that has been answered by people who actually use this chain commercially, and they have stated it is not for strength or to avoid the dreaded "center collapse" failure mode you are so frightened about. The fact that a stud does add some strength to a link should come as no surprise to anyone who has ever looked at bridge or roof trusses.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 05:29   #125
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“... Heat-treated, carbon steel C-links that are marked with a load standard are virtually as strong as the chain which they join. Provided they will pass through the gypsy, which most will, they are fully acceptable for yachting use.*

Stainless steel C-links are less strong than carbon steel equivalents but are adequate for general use. Although they will not rust in normal anchoring use, they can promote increased rates of zinc loss from attached chain, by galvanic action. Use them with caution.

Links of the type often seen in chandleries, unmarked and of unknown origin, should be avoided. Many seem to be badly made, of inappropriate materials, and to use them for anchoring would be risky ...”

https://coxengineering.sharepoint.com/Pages/Clinks.aspx

* Crosby & Acco, for instance.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 05:30   #126

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Wow. This post shows such poor reasoning skills and logic that it defies comprehension.

I think those photos show what to consider when choosing an anchorage, not anchoring gear. C-link or not, your anchoring gear is going to fail in those situations. And that statement is completely ignoring the fact that those photos are in open water.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 05:35   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I would recognize that there are always possibilities that someone may be caught in unexpected circumstances without all of the best possible ground tackle; however, I do not think that people are considering the differences in the manner that many use ground tackle.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I link shots of chain with pairs of Crosby shackles. I can do this because of a "difference",- I use a manual windlass that will not jam with an odd link.

I use snubbers that are typically 10 to 12 feet long instead of the lengths of 40 feet that some say are needed. I can do this because of a "difference". I never anchor in surf or surge.

I've deployed no more than 200 feet of chain when anchoring in hurricane force winds. I can do this because of a "difference". My cruising areas allow me to locate anchorages for heavy weather with good holding, shallow depths and little fetch resulting in waves less that one foot.

When people advise what is best or necessary they don't always consider the differences among cruisers. My practices have done me well for decades of my cruising, but they might not suit someone else for one season!
Old 15-12-2015, 05:37   #128

Boat: valiant 40

If were to apply the pressure required to break my c link while it was attached to our little ship I'm unsure as to which would break first. As to the rest of the argument we would all prefer one continuous length but having never heard of a failure I'm comfortable at night, and I fly air Malaysia who have had 2 recent failures, And with that I'm out of this one but by all means keep crapping on trying to prove who is the most awesome and salty sailors.
Old 15-12-2015, 05:54   #129
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Nine pages of replies to basically answer the original question. And the answer is Yes, you can extend your anchor chain.
Old 15-12-2015, 06:01   #130

Since I am pretty sure the shortest distance between two points is a straight line can someone explain the "center collapse" concept to me?

I mean, I think the idea being presented is that the stud in the stud link is in compression holding the sides of the chain link apart and somehow this makes the chain stronger? I am not an engineer but this idea sounds silly to me.

Using the stud to hold the sides of the chain apart would suggest that stretching the link causes the middle part to squeeze together. Since the sides of the link are parallel, this means the middle squeezing together would be traveling a greater distance than a straight line, no?

This concept of "center collapse" which I have never heard of and can't find googles for would seem to defy grade school logic. Maybe I am missing something? Sure the load is off axis as each link bends around the next, but still doesn't make sense to me.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 06:01   #131

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Nine pages of replies to basically answer the original question. And the answer is Yes, you can extend your anchor chain.
The thread title has the word "anchor" in it...what did you expect?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 06:53   #132
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The thread title has the word "anchor" in it...what did you expect?

No kidding. Good thing he didn't ask about a "catamaran" anchor chain.

We'd be here all night.
Old 15-12-2015, 07:35   #133

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Wow. This post shows such poor reasoning skills and logic that it defies comprehension...

Mark
Mark--you certainly win the chief ankle biter contest.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 08:31   #134

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
No kidding. Good thing he didn't ask about a "catamaran" anchor chain.

We'd be here all night.
Oooh, now there's a fun idea! ; )
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 12:02   #135

I suspect "Ankle Biter" does it deliberately.
Human evolution precludes any other explanation.
IMHO,

Tags
anchor