Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2015, 13:37   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Can I extend my anchor chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Is it just me who thinks that the a/chain of my home should have no potentially weak links.
Every system has a "weakest link" . That's a fact of nature. Nowhere will you find an engineering solution where all components have exactly the same strength.

With an anchoring system, if it's not a C link, it may be a snubber or an anchor fastening or....

It's just a case of identifying which is the weakest point in your system and making sure that it is strong enough for the purpose.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 13:45   #62

Boat: Casacde 36

Yes you can. I sought advice from a chain manufacturer and they suggested I use those "C" type, where you assemble both parts, then hammer the bosses down into the recesses. Only caveat; My chain is 5/16" BBB hi test and the joining link is BBB std. So that's the working load that I consider when anchoring. It has been more than adequate for my 14,000lb boat.
Hasn't been a problem so far, doesn't jump the wild cat, has held in about 30 odd knots of wind.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 13:52   #63

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Patprice: If better centering of the chain fall isn't enough then you can do what I have to do with my small chain locker. I take a length of pipe forward when doing chain recovery. Every 50' or so I stop the windlass, put half the pipe down the naval pipe and use that lever to knock down the chain pile. Simple and fast. Of course it would be better if I had a taller chain locker, just never going to happen on my 31'.

Brianlara3: Posters don't always defend their positions in the most social manner so sometimes we have to wade through a bit of attitude and personalities. As you can see there is a lot of thoughtful info on CF so take the good info, make your own decisions, and ignore the rest. Or treat it as perverse entertainment.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 14:06   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post
My Bavaria 42 (2000 Cruiser) in Greece came to me with 40 metres of 5/16" chain. I found this was not enough on many occasions for "Med style" stern to anchoring. I added 20 metres and made the join with a C link. When I get back to Greece in May I must have a look at that link. Thanks to this thread for the reminder.
Adding that extra chain did cause a related issue. With the added chain, on retrieval the chain heaps up and jams the windlass. One has to watch the chain very carefully and knock the rising pile of chain over with a stick. I have noticed many other yachts also doing just this.
The chain locker in the B42 is quite large but the chain is dropped at the rear vertical wall of the locker and the pile "climbs" up this wall. Maybe it needs some kind of a lead to make the chain drop further forward in the middle of the locker.
Has anyone found a fix?
This is the expensive "fix"
Force 4 Chain Boy

Have heard that others have successfully used a small traffic cone placed under the spurling pipe (or chain deck entry), chain lands on top of the cone and then spreads around it.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 14:19   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
" .......................
................................. I need it to run though the anchor winch like the rest of the chain. ...................."
I read through this entire thread wondering if anyone had addressed another variable, - the nature of the windlass. I did not see any mention of this. For many years I've bought a shot of chain and added it to my length while discarding the most worn or corroded portion. I always link my shots of chain with a pair of the same gauge moused Crosby shackles. This does not result in a weaker location at the link and there is a barely noticeable "click" when the shackles skip across my gypsy.

I favor the robust and simple manual windlass that does not jam or fail to function with a bit of different linkage. .... yes, it requires my energy, but when I'm working the handle I think of it as my gym membership! 'never lets me down!
Old 13-12-2015, 14:25   #66

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I think a shackle would turn the majority of windlasses into a pile of slag. I know the two we have had would never pass a shackle.

If the windlass is removed from the equation, there are lots of good ways to connect chain shots. Probably even some Terra Nova would agree with.

But for most windlasses, it is C-link.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 14:34   #67

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
...Probably even some Terra Nova would agree with...
Only if you disagree with them.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 14:43   #68

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

MarkJ. Young man, I got your point correctly alright....you mocked Terra, suggesting (covertly) that he knew nothing, proven by the fact that he doesn't even own a boat.
AND, YOU missed the point....duh...I wasnt suggesting, at all, at all, that boat builders know ONLY...about how to build boats! OMG! CAP'N LLOYD.
THANK YOU SIR!
StuM.
Thanks for your kindness, seriously.
Please forgive me for posting a bit of 'tongue in cheek' there.
Actually been on the hook for six years and whilst I've not yet had to anchor off a Tasman Sea beach (Bondi) lee shore in 50+ feet and 50kn winds, I can and what's more nothings going to wake me up.
In various coastal harbours here in OZ, eg, Eden, Bateman's Bay, Sydney Harbour and others, I've in 50 feet @ gusting 50 too bloody often, last April we had those conditions and gusting 70 for 3 days but I had a bit of shelter...and still, I sleep. Albeit in a cork! ! ! cork!
Please, seriously, if you will, always keep an eye on me. I need it and am grateful to you.
CF.......needs you and your kind...to help filter out the weed.
250' X 5/15 G3, 25lb Supreme, 900watts, only 6500lbs laden, only 24'x9', 500ah, 1600w genny. (please tell no one the next bit OK?...electric bread maker, abt 20 full HD TV channels..Seinfeld..addicted! even to George, Mash, PBS news hour, Attenborough, Top Gear (the UK one..Jeremy is an basterd but I love him), hate Home & Away, steam iron, NutriBullet juicer..need to stop...)
Stu, "mums the word" OK? Tell no one about the above cause the kind of flak Ive seen on CF would kill this Vietnam Vet (9 Batallion).(grunt).
Thanks.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 15:35   #69

Boat: Seafarer36c

C links should be called "leap of faith links". You have no idea how corroded those 2 little pins are but you still trust it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 16:09   #70

Boat: valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Every system has a "weakest link" . That's a fact of nature. Nowhere will you find an engineering solution where all components have exactly the same strength.

With an anchoring system, if it's not a C link, it may be a snubber or an anchor fastening or....

It's just a case of identifying which is the weakest point in your system and making sure that it is strong enough for the purpose.
Well said Stu.
I get the feeling that I could take my pet glacier to the park, and teach it to fetch a stick, come back and find everyone still in there corners, FOLKS its a discussion.
Cheers
Old 13-12-2015, 16:37   #71

Serious question . If replacing your chain, and you are anchored out or on a mooring, how do you lift/transfer 200kg of chain to boat??
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 16:40   #72

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

From your dink.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 17:02   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
From your dink.
So, metre by metre into the dink (tender), then drag up on deck, metre by metre, hopefully without sinking the tender? Have I got this right?
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 17:30   #74

Boat: Seafarer36c

Plenty of fat guy's weigh 250. I see several fat guy's in one dinghy all the time. Replace 1 or 2 fat guy's with chain, no problem.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 18:15   #75

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

And to get it out of the dink you tie a few metres of rope to the chain, then one guy lifts the chain onto the gypsy then presses the UP button.
And if I can do it alone........the dink stays put unattended but relieved.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor