Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-01-2013, 19:10   #31

Boat: Allures 44
Re: Can I ask, what are these guys trying to do in this video?

Quote:
Heading down would also rapidly send them in the wrong direction, three minutes of downhill sailing in those conditions would mean another 15 minutes beating back to get the the original position.
Nevertheless, I would head down to a broad reach. With the reduced load on the jib it could be furled in a matter of seconds, without flogging it. Total distance lost to leeward is a few hundred meters at most. With that kind of treatment they'll soon be in the market for a new sail.

Old 09-01-2013, 19:18   #32

Boat: CS 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
Yes trying to reef the jib. The furling line fairlead is preventing a smooth transition. The lead from the stanchion to the winch is almost 90 degrees. Would not be surprised to see it part from the stanchion.
+1

Must have been a new to them boat.

Old 09-01-2013, 19:45   #33
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To me its looks like

(A) they felt they had to winch in the furling line and the clutch was aft of the winch , with no lead to the winch, so they released it from the clutch and fed it from the stanchion mounted block. -bad idea.

(B) they lost the lazy sheet completely , it looks like most of it ended up around the working sheet

(.c) the whole operation was very uncoordinated and slow , with the crew moving about the place

And my cardinal sin, leaving winch handles in the winches. Just think of they had to dump that sheet.

Not nice

Dave
Old 09-01-2013, 21:43   #34

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Nevertheless, I would head down to a broad reach. With the reduced load on the jib it could be furled in a matter of seconds, without flogging it. Total distance lost to leeward is a few hundred meters at most. With that kind of treatment they'll soon be in the market for a new sail.
I am no physics professor, but since when has sailing downwind put less load on a sail compared to having the sail affectively in irons?
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 21:44   #35

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
To me its looks like

(A) they felt they had to winch in the furling line and the clutch was aft of the winch , with no lead to the winch, so they released it from the clutch and fed it from the stanchion mounted block. -bad idea.

(B) they lost the lazy sheet completely , it looks like most of it ended up around the working sheet

(.c) the whole operation was very uncoordinated and slow , with the crew moving about the place

And my cardinal sin, leaving winch handles in the winches. Just think of they had to dump that sheet.

Not nice

Dave
Agreed. Winch handles should never be left in a winch when not in use.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 23:59   #36

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Do you mean one hand on the winch easing the sheets out, or one hand holding tension on the sheets. Trying to figure out the best way to single hand a furl in the genoa without flogging the heck out of the sail and sheets. In the past, I have released a little sheet, then jumped across the cockpit to furl that bit in... then repeat over and over.
More one hand holding a bit of tension on the sheets so the furling is orderly and they don't wrap themselves into knots. As I understand the video, there was no sheet tension as the sail was flogging and therefore this was just enough to keep the sheet tidy.

Your method works, too!
Old 10-01-2013, 00:06   #37

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I am no physics professor, but since when has sailing downwind put less load on a sail compared to having the sail affectively in irons?
When you sail down far enough (like 150-170 degrees) to have the main blanket the foresail, at which point you can furl in.

It's easier on the gear, however, to heave to or as I suggested, point to the angle of stalling, get the thing rolled, and then fall off with reefed main and more control.

I do admit it's easy to be an armchair admiral on this. Heavy air sail handling takes practice and co-ordinating. I actually prefer to get off the helm in such situations so I can use my strength to douse sail, rather than fighting a compromised helm that will stay problematic until the pressure is off.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: