Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-01-2013, 12:46   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Can I ask, what are these guys trying to do in this video?

All that loose windward jib sheet has to do is tie itself into an overhand knot on the working sheet (seen it happen), and the **** can really hit the fan.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:46   #17

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post

I also found the flogging sheets annoying. One hand on them would've kept them fair and untangled.

Do you mean one hand on the winch easing the sheets out, or one hand holding tension on the sheets. Trying to figure out the best way to single hand a furl in the genoa without flogging the heck out of the sail and sheets. In the past, I have released a little sheet, then jumped across the cockpit to furl that bit in... then repeat over and over.

Old 09-01-2013, 13:10   #18

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Trying to figure out the best way to single hand a furl in the genoa without flogging the heck out of the sail and sheets. In the past, I have released a little sheet, then jumped across the cockpit to furl that bit in... then repeat over and over.
In that range, and point of sail, we tend to heave to and then roll in the jib. That reduces the pressure on the furling line and makes it a lot easier to roll up. You can also ease the sheet in larger sections as you do it, so there's less jumping back and forth between easing the sheet and rolling it in.
Old 09-01-2013, 13:25   #19

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

We tried larger sections between furling, but then had to replace a dodger window due to a flying sheet. Hand sewing all that had plastic was enough to convince us to do much smaller sections. We try to head up into the wind most of the time, or shadow behind the main, but at times, this has not been a good option.
Old 09-01-2013, 13:54   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

The Oyster appears to me to be running almost dead downwind and is managing to hold speed down at 8+kts which seems to me to be smart management in those conditions. If he's not headed in the right direction, I think I'd be tempted to heave to or forereach for a while.
The first boat seemed to be in too much of a hurry - furling with a winch can never be a good idea - if it comes to that he furled too late! Having gotten too late, I'd head close to wind to be able to furl what was needed, tie off the sheet and head back down again. If I couldn't hold it to the wind for long enough to get the furl in, I'd start the engine!
My wife (!) would have let the mainsheet go a long time before we got the rail in the water - but that's another story! (By the way, we're both wimps!)
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 15:48   #21

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I've seen this first video on YouTube. The skipper has quite a few entries in the comment section. They are worth checking out.

BTW- Good discussion - I am enjoying and learning from it.
Old 09-01-2013, 16:35   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yes, I have never sailed on another's boat so I have only my own experience and mistakes to learn from.

Frankly, I got caught out one day in the Cabot Straits, with my Daughter. Don't have a wind gauge on that boat so don't know wind strength for sure, CCG wx reported 25 knots and 3+ meter seas. But......It LOOKED worse than the Oyster video. The seas were as high or higher for sure. The measure is those big light colored bits behind the breaking waves, we had them all over the place. BIG fish floats were being drug through the wave fronts. I may have had more fetch, more duration, and some foul current, which made the waves steep.

Being stupid i hadway too much sail up and hit 9.8knots once. 33' and 8 tons. Damn hard to reef in those conditions. Live and learn. Daughter didn't like it a bit. She thinks, no knows, I'm nuts. Smart girl.

I try hard to not repeat that fiasco.

Good things were that we were running downwind and the boat did fine. Scary but a confidence builder.
Old 09-01-2013, 17:19   #23

Boat: Bayfeild 32

I have buried the lee rail on my Bayfield, but that was just cause I could at the time. If you own an Bayfield you know it isn't often on inland lakes that you get enough wind to do that. LOL You also find out all the things you thought were stowed but in fact they really aren't. I am usually good on the starboard tack but when I switch to the port tack things cover the floor... you would think I would learn... In the first boat I too would have eased the main and headed up to ease the pressure on the jib for furling. I am pretty sure I would not have waited until there was water in the cockpit to furl the jib. In fact, the main sail comes down quick I would likely have doused that first and then if needed I would have furled the rest of the jib, but I am no expert and hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 09-01-2013, 17:54   #24

Boat: Irwin 40

To me it seems the crew is confused and not sure what to do. Agreed they waited too long to take any action. Falling off would have reduced wind speed and helped some but made reefing the main harder. The biggest thing I take from this is a crew not knowing just what to do and when to do it, and a captain not giving clear instructions and not having reefed soon enough. He did mention squall in the beginning and the waves are small so maybe this hit them by surprise. Still.......At least they are not panicking, something to be said for staying calm.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:03   #25

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post

Its obvious what happened. They were trucking along quite nicely to windward and decided to reef the genny a little more. (note the wind was stiff, but consistent and not overly gusty with a very small sea) But as they released the furler to haul it on, it slipped out and opened the genny completely. Hence the fella on the starboard winch, towards the end of the vid, who was busy hauling it back on.

No they were not trying to force a knockdown. Just working slowly to to get the boat going again. Slow work is quite normal in heavy winds as loads a much greater on tired hands and minds.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:13   #26

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Its obvious what happened. They were trucking along quite nicely to windward and decided to reef the genny a little more. (note the wind was stiff, but consistent and not overly gusty with a very small sea) But as they released the furler to haul it on, it slipped out and opened the genny completely. Hence the fella on the starboard winch, towards the end of the vid, who was busy hauling it back on.

No they were not trying to force a knockdown. Just working slowly to to get the boat going again. Slow work is quite normal in heavy winds as loads a much greater on tired hands and minds.
I like that explanation.
Old 09-01-2013, 18:13   #27

I don't see a real problem here as far as control. This is not a atypical situation. We have no idea if there is a lee shore. He is staying high which reduces speed. They are just a little slow in reducing the headsail. Unsightly to be sure and unless they clear the jib sheet, turning down would increase pressure in the jib and magnify the problem. As it stands they are essentially hove to at the end of the video.
Old 09-01-2013, 18:17   #28

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
I don't see a real problem here as far as control. This is not a atypical situation. We have no idea if there is a lee shore. He is staying high which reduces speed. They are just a little slow in reducing the headsail. Unsightly to be sure and unless they clear the jib sheet, turning down would increase pressure in the jib and magnify the problem. As it stands they are essentially hove to at the end of the video.
Agreed- the skipper has stalled the boat well and holds it in position quite nicely. Heading down would also rapidly send them in the wrong direction, three minutes of downhill sailing in those conditions would mean another 15 minutes beating back to get the the original position.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:51   #29

The skipper needs to yell LOUDER they cant here him HA HA HA

I hope that windward sheet has a stopper knot and not wrapping around the prop!!
the guy in blue is looking for guidance
Old 09-01-2013, 18:55   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yeah, done that too. Took me almost three days to get home that time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: