Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 20:26   #1

Boat: Camper & Nicholson 42
Send a message via Skype™ to sailorjg
Camper & Nicholson 42

I am looking for information on the sailing characteristics of a Camper & Nicholson 42.
Thanks.
sailorjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Could you be more specific regarding which “Camper & Nicholsons” (Nautor) boat you’re researching?

42' Camper & Nicholsons Center Cockpit Ketch (1974):
Camper & Nicholsons Center Cockpit Ketch 1974 Boat For Sale

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:04   #3

Camper & Nicholson

I am just looking for general information, particularly the sailing characteristics and qualities of this particular model (ketch), not a specific boat. Are they prone to osmosis?. How do they sail in heavy weather? What are their advantages and disadvantages,etc. We are looking at it as a open ocean cruiser.

Hoping someone out there as sailed one and can pass on their experiences. There is very little information available on Camper & Nicholson boats on the net.
Thanks.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:44   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sailor,
I have heard that they are very good quality boats with no particular problems or weird sailing characteristics. So, by reputation I think they are great boats, however, I don't have any real experience on them. I'd pick a boat between 32 and 36 though.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 20:19   #5

pirate

Thanks John
We're looking for a 2 cabin boat, hence our interest in this model. Just curious, why 32-36?
Also, any experience with Morgan Out Island 41, ketch rig? That's our other choice at the moment.
J-G
Old 06-11-2007, 00:39   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha again Sailor,
I've either owned or sailed on other folk's boats from 8' to 55' and have found the handling and ease of repair as well as size more suitable in the 32 to 36 LOD range. I like after cockpit, diesel engine, fiberglass, cutter rigs. Just my experience and opinion.
One of my favorites was a Mariner 35 ketch. I'd be sailing it still today if it hadn't been all wood and the Navy required me to be on an opposite coast too often.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:38   #7

I know what you mean re-navy. I did 36 years bouncing from our East to West coasts. Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers, J-G
Old 15-11-2007, 11:28   #8

The 32 35 and 40 are little battle ships the royal navy use or did use 48 s as training yachts I personaly prefer aft cockpit so have not paid to much attention to the 42 you mentioned.A friend with whome i sail with has his 35 in Porta Santos waiting to cross the pond they are exellent boats, as for the dreaded OS sure some will have it , as with most yachts, but its really not the problem a lot of people still believe it is .Which ever you chose if you do you wont go far wrong ,good hunting Carl.
CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 11:41   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 311
Since you asked about sailing characteristics and are maybe looking for a quality boat, you could consider the Nicholson 43. Mind you a good one will be worth serious money.

I feel the 42 was heading for the modern type of good marina boat rather than serious sailer. It all depends what you want to do with it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JamesFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 16:17   #10

For what it's worth, we considered the CN, we even saw that particular boat a couple weeks ago--it was rough, we didn't even go inside--such a shame.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 17:48   #11

Where did you see a C&N 42? There aren't too many around.
J-G
Old 15-11-2007, 17:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFrance View Post
Since you asked about sailing characteristics and are maybe looking for a quality boat, you could consider the Nicholson 43. Mind you a good one will be worth serious money.

I feel the 42 was heading for the modern type of good marina boat rather than serious sailer. It all depends what you want to do with it.
Thanks James. We want to sail it down to Mexico and probably do some blue water cruising as well, possibly to the Marquesas. What don't you like about the 42?
Cheers, J-G
Old 15-11-2007, 17:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARL View Post
The 32 35 and 40 are little battle ships the royal navy use or did use 48 s as training yachts I personaly prefer aft cockpit so have not paid to much attention to the 42 you mentioned.A friend with whome i sail with has his 35 in Porta Santos waiting to cross the pond they are exellent boats, as for the dreaded OS sure some will have it , as with most yachts, but its really not the problem a lot of people still believe it is .Which ever you chose if you do you wont go far wrong ,good hunting Carl.
Thanks Carl
Your opinion is appreciated and encouraging.
We really like the 2 cabin design. The centre cockpit makes that a better option for space aft.
I have been in contact with a valuable source of information on C&N boats. He is the volunteer archivist for the company and has files on most boats built by C&N.
Many thanks, J-G
Old 15-11-2007, 20:20   #14

Opps terribly sorry, we saw this 44 View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Pardon me, I wouldn't even let him look for anything over 42-- as you can see, my mind is somewhere else...
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2007, 01:29   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 311
Hi J-G,

Nothing against the 42, I really liked the 38 and 48 centre cockpit boats and when I bought the Moody in my avatar I would have had a 38 if one had been available then (1974). The 42 has the advantage of the walk through aft cabin of course which is great for living on board, so the accommodation is more spacious. It is a more modern design and I just feel it rather moved away from the classic style of boat which C & N were renowned for.

I know I have a typical modern factory built boat now, but that is just because of the value for money and I don't really want a lot of maintenance to do these days. (when I had an old wooden boat it was a full time job)

I just do love the 43 though, I know of one in North Wales which still looks like a new boat, but it has an aft cockpit of course.

Since writing this I have been looking at some photos. Now she does look like a classic, when I was shown over one in about 1979 she seemed terribly modern then, but it was a long time ago. I think you should go for it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JamesFrance is offline   Reply With Quote