Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2006, 00:06   #1

Calling all Canadians.

Does anyone over your way know anything about a boat designer named"Graham Shannon?"Reason being,there is a boat from his stable for sale over here in oz"Tasmania " To be exact.It's sooo perfect,but,alas I know nothing of this person.Any help would be appreciated.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 01:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See the article at:
http://www.nsnews.com/issues98/w080398/top.html

Vancouver naval architect Grahame Shannon, the founding president of Autoship Systems Corp.,responsible for the Walker Bay 8, the world's first injection-molded dinghy. Shannon's design expertise has been applied to racing yachts and jet boats too.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 02:39   #3

GordMay,Well that was more than I could get of the web,but,Im not to clever on that.If I punch in Bruce Roberts or Hartley,I can usually get to their designs and plans,this fellow I cannot get zip on.
Old 17-10-2006, 02:54   #4

sorry,the cat finaly came in and sat on the keyboard.I dont even know what she hit,I guess it was destiny to be her post.Back to it,So,How come I carn't find his designs on the net?I love the boat that is for sale and the only thing outside my margins are a toilet and shower.Its 30ft,steel and only 3yrs old,and at 43k its a bargin.To find a site with his plans would be benifitcial so I could determin where these two things mentioned would be fitted and maybe a few other things as well.Thanks anyway.Mudnut.
Old 17-10-2006, 03:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Actually, I think Bruce Roberts sells some (or 1) of Shannon’s design(s). ie: Roberts 341

A successful search requires absolutely accurate spelling. ie: Grahame Shannon

Avia Design Group ~ Grahame Shannon:
4884 Skyline Road
North Vancouver, BC
V7R 3J3
Telephone: 604-816-6550
E-mail Address: designer@aviadesign.com
Home Page URL: http://www.aviadesign.com

See also:
http://www.ghsport.com/history.htm
http://www.classicoboats.com/design.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 09:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
I remember seeing adds for his designs in various sailing mags back in the 1980's. Steel construction starting at 28 feet on up. I thought they were good looking boats.
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 15:18   #7

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Give me a list of questions, apparantley the chap lives in North Vancouver, I'll give him a call for you with your "specific" questions and post the response here for you and all to see. The Walker Bay headquarters are here in Vancouver, BC and the factory is in Washington State.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 23:13   #8

rsn48,The boats name is Haven,designed by Grahame and built by Adrian Baker.She's a gaff rigged cutter 29'6",beam10'4", draft 4'4" and weighs 6.5 tonnes.Full length keel with a dbl berth under the cocpit.I was hopeing to find a line plan of her on the nett so as to determine if I could fit a real toilet "not chemical"with a holding tank and a plumbed shower in behind the forad bulkhead.There is no mention of a v-birth in the add"It's on Yachthub.com.au,in the 26'<30' used section"She is a proven boat for QLD coast but I would like to sail to SE PNG and the Phillapines.Thanks for any/all help.Mudnut
Old 18-10-2006, 23:15   #9

rsn48,The boats name is Haven,designed by Grahame and built by Adrian Baker.She's a gaff rigged cutter 29'6",beam10'4", draft 4'4" and weighs 6.5 tonnes.Full length keel with a dbl berth under the cocpit.I was hopeing to find a line plan of her on the nett so as to determine if I could fit a real toilet "not chemical"with a holding tank and a plumbed shower in behind the forad bulkhead.There is no mention of a v-birth in the add"It's on Yachthub.com.au,in the 26'<30' used section"She is a proven boat for QLD coast but I would like to sail to SE PNG and the Phillapines.Thanks for any/all help.Mudnut
Old 18-10-2006, 23:18   #10

Old 19-10-2006, 10:53   #11

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Results: I phoned Grahame and he said he was unclear as to which boat you were talking about and he doesn't recognize the name Adrian Baker. However he is guessing the boat you are referring to is older. He says most of the plans of boats that he had were thrown out as he moved to computer design and older plans weren't selling.

However, if you contact him via internet (see above) and have the name of the design, he'll do what he can to see if he has anything.

Cheers,
Rick N
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 22:31   #12

rsn48,Thanks for that!Ive gone thru Bruce Roberts site and the closest I can get is a Tom thumb,very similar Mudnut.but not exact.