Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2016, 19:54   #1

Calling all C&C 35(ish) owners from the late 70s early - mid 80s!

Recently narrowed down my search to a coastal cruiser a C&C 35. Have my eye on two that are on the market: a 1986 C&C 35 MKIII and a 1979 C&C 36.

In 1985 the President (and owner) of C&C had left the company, I heard 83 is the sweet spot of production. Not sure how well quality/craftsmanship was impacted after that but original people leaving impacts quality in my opinion.

So far my gut tells me the 1986 C&C is perfect, with some drawbacks: lack of sails, equipment, spinnaker pole, no dingy, corroded aluminum blocks/parts here and there. But otherwise looks amazing and well maintained. Monday will bring the verdict of the 79'.

Anything I should watch out for? I won't lie I worry about water leaking in thru those big siliconed windows on the sides.

And, for the record are all of these balsa cored? I've been lead to believe they aren't.
Offshore74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 04:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Calling all C&C 35(ish) owners from the late 70s early - mid 80s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore74 View Post
... In 1985 the President (and owner) of C&C had left the company, I heard 83 is the sweet spot of production. Not sure how well quality/craftsmanship was impacted after that but original people leaving impacts quality in my opinion ...
IMHO, the 1970s were C&C's best years.
The 1980s and 90s were certainly a turbulent time for C&C Yachts.
Jim Plaxton bought the company in a hostile takeover in mid 1981, and George Cuthbertson was out.
In 1986, Brian Rose of North South Charters, bought the company as a limited partnership.
In 1989, Brian was forced out of C&C by the main share holder of the limited partnership and replaced by Bob Stubing; but by the middle of 1990, bank pressures forced the close of C&C.
After 14 months, C&C was finally sold to Anthony Koo and Frank Chow of Wa Kwang Shipping.
In April of 1994, C&C was devastated by a fire that destroyed 40 molds, three 51 boats that were in production, the factory, the boat building records, plans, etc. They tried to recover, but ultimately failed. Insurance only paid a portion of the total loss, and C&C tried to resume production, only to find the recovery cost was too much and closed the factory in August 1996.

The History of C&C

https://ontariosailing.ca/media_lib/...zza_Speech.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal