Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-12-2011, 21:27   #46

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Caliber vs Island Packet

It really is true that tacking angles arent always that important. In last season's round trip from Rock Hall MD to the Grenadines and back I could count on my fingers the number of times we tacked. Virtually all of the sailing was some kind of reach - Usually we would motor out of the anchorage, set the sails, and go until it was time to drop the sails and go into the next anchorage. We actually had a novice sailor who came to meet us in Bequia to visit for a week sailing around the Grenadines. He wanted to learn everything he could and on day 4 he said "Hey can we tack at least once?"

sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 22:49   #47

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. We were looking at the very same decision back in the mid 90's when we were deciding to go. There weren't many used ones around then, so we were looking at buying new and then were going to have to outfit it with all the right liveaboard gear for our needs.

Just happened to come across a Mason 53 in excellent shape. Had to up the budget a bit, but it had all the gear, minus some good batteries and charging system. Ended up buying it and have never regretted it. She has rewarded us beyond our expectations.

Just a footnote. We crewed on an IP35 in the 1995 Caribbean 1500. Finished 1st in our fleet, 5 overall and somewhere around mid fleet actually crossing the line, if I recall correctly. Sometimes a heavier displacement boat will move through bigger seas (that old momentum thing) and give you a few more miles logged over the day, plus a more comfortable ride than a lighter displacement hull for the same length. I wouldn't hesitate to sail offshore on an IP again.

I didn't like the nav station layout on the Caliber 40 either (being next to the stove), but at the end of the day, the Mason 53 kept us from having to make that big decision.

All the best with yours. Cheers.

matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:35   #48

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Peoples ideas of a good sailing boat differ. I recently sailed with a friend who has a faster lighter boat who would zoom by me at light wind speeds. In heavy weather I cruised along rather comfortably on autopilot with a tiny storm jib and main on second reef while he had just a scrap of jib rolled out and struggled with the helm to the point of exhaustion due to his autopilot not being able to keep up. I arrived 4 hrs earlier on the heavy weather leg and a day earlier after he slept most of the next day recovering. anchored along each other my boat was barely moving while his was experiencing a lot of motion. I slept well while he looked haggard in the morning and said he couldnt sleep because of all the motion. Me thinks some of these people who thumb their noses at heavy boats do more reading about sailing than cruising. just my 2 cents
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:52   #49

Boat: HR 40 - Auspicious

Well let's all pile on, shall we? *grin*

Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
An IP will never be able to point like a J-boat, obviously, but in the conditions you normally encounter on passages to and from the Caribbean, the IPs do a lot better than you might expect. One of the reasons for that is that the boat's inherent sailing characteristics allow the helmsman to go faster with more comfort, safety, and less stress on the boat and rig than many "faster", lighter fin keelers. It carries the weight of supplies and gear needed for long-term cruising well, also.
Definitely important characteristics and some of the reasons that IPs sell so well and have a loyal ownership community.

Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
There's a lot more to offshore sailing performance than theoretical hull speed and pointing ability.
Of course. There is actual boat speed and pointing in addition to the other factors you cited.

The most important factor, bar none, is the sailor. Look at the Caribbean 1500 and see what boats are in surprising places. I chalk that up to the sailors not the boats. I firmly believe that the best investment most of us could make is in our skills.

That said, keeping the boat moving in the right direction is important.

Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
And you have made how many offshore passages in an IP?
I'm not sure. 5? 6? 7? I remember a couple of 380s, a 40, and a 485. I've done hops in a 370 and a 420 but those weren't offshore. I can dig out my 719s forms if you like but you'll have to take me to dinner first.

To be clear I LIKE IPs. I darn near spent my own money on a new 370 in 2005. The IP was higher than a lot of other really nice boats in my selection process, second only to the boat I actually bought. *grin*

As Hud points out, the ability to keep the crew comfortable and fed is important. IP does that pretty well. There are other boats that do that too and sail faster and point higher IF the sailor can take advantage of the potential.
S/V Auspicious
SSCA Annapolis Cruising Station
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:10   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, iwindance.

Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

island packet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: