Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 15:56   #1

Caliber 33 or IP 31.

I need more info on Caliber 33,(find 1990 in good shape and essential upgrades}but I don't know much about this particular boats .Only one positive review on line. Practically I know what I Can expect from IP 31. Please, Caliber 33 owners share your insights and experiences ?
I'll appreciate any comments. Regards.
Robert

robfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 16:25   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri, 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Caliber 33 or IP 31.

The Caliber 33 is a much faster and better boat IMHO. IP's are good cruising boats and there are good deals on them because there are so many for sale but I think the Caliber is a step above the IP. I'm sure a lot would disagree though. If sailing performance means anything to you go with the Caliber.

kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 16:51   #3

Thank you kmacdonald. Yes I considering sailing performance but also wondering how big edge is in selling performance between IP's and Caliber's. Both boats are build well with Caliber's Plywood cored deck- need some extra care and attention. I would like to know a the owners experiences.
Best regards.
Robert
robfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 17:24   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Neither is a fast Boat, the IP doesn’t have cored decks, but I believe all the 31’s are getting long in the tooth and the chain plates are of course an issue.
Not your answer of course, but maybe another opinion.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 17:52   #5

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I had a 33 until I sold it to buy a Caliber 40. Having sailed both the 33 and an IP 31 I would without hesitation recommend a 33. Both are solid well built boats but the Caliber will point up wind far better than the IP. It is faster too under most conditions. I sailed mine from Chesapeake Bay to the Grenadines and back as well as to Bermuda and up and down the East coast. One thing to make sure of: if the boat you are looking at has old sails then put new ones in your budget. These boats are getting on in years now and while the fiberglass will be perfectly happy, it will be high time to get new sails if it hasnt already been done.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 17:59   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri, 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

PHRF for Caliber 33 is 168.

PHRF for IP 31 is 198.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 15:15   #7

Boat: Freedom 32

Shopped both when I was in the market. Imho the 33 all the way.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:42   #8

Boat: Caliber 33

I have an 1985 Caliber 33.

IMO it is a good boat for cruising, fun sailing and makes a comfortable live-aboard for a couple or single (when I bought mine she had three adults, two children and a baby living aboard!)

She is sturdily and soundly built, still fundamentally good after 30+ years.

The mast and rig is large for this size boat, making her an excellent sailer in light winds. However she is quite stiff, due to wide beam, and can take heavy weather.

That said, she has some faults:

The hull has a flat bottom section between the knuckle of the bow and the front of the keel. This tends to slam when punching to windward in short sharp seas.

When sailing down wind with the wind to one side (say starboard) in a certain kind of short but nasty sea, occasionally a wave will lift the stern and roll the boat over (to port) and slew it round (to starboard). Giving port helm to correct just allows the rudder to roll the boat even further instead of turning the boat. You end up more or less broadside on to the waves when she finally rights and the rudder bites to let you get back on course. A windvane or autopilot can't cope either with these conditions which are pretty rare.
To avoid this you have to steer directly down wind (with a preventer) or tack down wind in broad tacks.

The mast rig is weird with a pair of forward angled lower shrouds but none angled aft. In strong winds this allows the bare mast to vibrate annoyingly. I solved this by changing to cutter rig, installing a detachable inner forestay and Dyneema runners, which provide the aft support and also gives me the option of small staysail and deep reefed main in heavy weather.

The main hatch needs modifying to prevent leaks.

The self-draining cockpit pipes do not have seacocks installed.

You should check the mast where it goes through the deck for corrosion, and the plywood/grp mast step arrangement for rot. Also the chainplates which are easily removed.

Sounds pretty negative perhaps but I have had a lot of fun with this boat/home and she has pulled me through some rough times.

"A Small Slip" and "Desperate Deliveries"

True sailing adventures by Cris Robinson available as ebooks or paperback on Amazon Kindle.
OndinePLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:51   #9

Boat: Scout 30

As A64pilot noted the chain plates on the IP31 will need to be replaced. This is a difficult & expensive fix. If you pay to have it done it's been reported that you're looking at around $10,000.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 18:26   #10
sitting on the dock of the bay

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by OndinePLC View Post
The main hatch needs modifying to prevent leaks.
i owned one of these and never solved the leaking issue other than having a good dodger. did you modify the plexiglass hatch?

also after replacing the standing rigging my mast developed a vibration too. so bad i think it may have cracked the laminate on one of the bulkheads. so your cutter rig fixed that?

still i miss the boat and have thought of buying another one.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal