Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2013, 10:33   #1

Boat: Aries 32
Cal 39 Lapworth/Jensen for Bluewater South Pacific Cruise?

Seeking opinions on this boat for a husband/wife to blue water cruise in the South Pacific. I am experienced sailor with several mainland/Hawaii crossings. I like the idea of being a bit better to weather and a bit faster than traditional full keel. Anyone with cruising experience on this boat?
Mahalo!
petert96753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 12:28   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Cal 39 Lapworth/Jensen for Bluewater South Pacific Cruise?

I have looked at the numbers. At this weight / length / ballast it looks like the GRP is relatively thin in them. And the youngest are supposed to be from around 1970 - 40+ years young.

IF you get a 100% sound one, the boat looks, on paper, like can be sailed to anywhere (well, tropical waters) by a competent sailor.

But, perhaps only, maybe, there is something just slightly more substantial that would fit your Pacific dream. Not suggesting anything, only thinking a'loud.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 13:06   #3

Boat: Aries 32
Always looking for suggestions. Budget 40-50k

Islander 36, Catalina 36 or 38, even maybe Downeaster 38 ( I know very different) just something faster and better to wind than sometimg like Westsail 32
petert96753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 13:14   #4

Boat: Cal 2-27

She has a Cal 40
About Swell

They have a cal 27
KATIE & JESSIE | - Aboard Lovely Louise -

Obviously, I'm bias. Look under my photo.
Seriously, an example of any boat going around the world can be found.

Knowing what I know now. If I were looking for what you are looking for. The Cal 39 or 40 would be on my list. I would not look for them exclusively. A Friend of mine has a catalina, like 42 or so I think and it is an awesome boat. Will go anywhere the Cal will go.

The Cal 27 was picked by me out of 3 different cal's a 27 and 2 29's. I liked the 27 better for a few reasons. anyway, Good luck, do your research and go for a few test sails, your answer will present itself.
Old 20-06-2013, 17:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by petert96753 View Post
Always looking for suggestions. Budget 40-50k

Islander 36, Catalina 36 or 38, even maybe Downeaster 38 ( I know very different) just something faster and better to wind than sometimg like Westsail 32
For open waters, I would steer towards an Islander-type of boat. But she will not have the space of a Downeaster sure. Also, on the most typical route, a smallish main is a disadvantage (easily solved with kites).

I would take a Downeaster hands down for that paradise anchorage in Cook Islands .... but I would rather sail to Cook Islands in an Islander ... ;-)

b.
Old 21-06-2013, 20:17   #6

We sure like out tartan 37, rather small inside but the best sailing boat we have ever owned. Our last boat we did over 10,000 mile on her. At least 2 tartan 37's have sailed around the world
bcarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 20:52   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarli View Post
We sure like out tartan 37, rather small inside but the best sailing boat we have ever owned. Our last boat we did over 10,000 mile on her. At least 2 tartan 37's have sailed around the world
I second the tartan 37... Great boats... I've day sailed them some, and always had a great time. I did deliver a tartan 34 from Florida to Bermuda. It was a great trip... The boat handled it very well.
Old 22-06-2013, 08:04   #8

I had a close look at a Tartan 37 (S&S, not Hood) that we met in RSA. She looked a very balanced configuration of underbody and owners spoke highly of her sailing ability. They did mention though that they came in various configurations and said something about the non-CB version being a better performer. Still, for a So-Pac adventure the ability to lift the CB may beat the performance offset, I think.

Another similar hull of that era is Ohlson 38 - these sail very well and are capable of making good daily runs. This is one of the designs (other than light boats designed specifically for off the wind sailing) that truly impressed me with their good passage times. They are not ugly either.

Generally, however, I think it is difficult to find boats of this particular genre to be perfect for a typical So-Pac voyage, for none of them was designed for extended DOWNWIND passages.

b.
Old 24-12-2013, 01:50   #9

well some interesting replys, which Marina are you in Barnakiel? My Cal 39 and eye have just done 9500 miles (a 1983 by the way Barnacle hic) and the boat was fantastic a little hard to slow down at times but the sailing performance per wetted area is outstanding, if you buy one in the states all i can say is the boat will do the job with 5 stars BUT you have to do the preparation, Extra reefs in main, new roller furler for Genoa is a good idea, check and recheck rigging terminations and wire replace as necessary, steering gear and if short handed or single handed as i was the Auto pilot ( Icant stress this enough has to be up to the job and 99 percent reliable even if you have to pay the premium, we didnt hand myself and the missus hand steered the boat for 29 days 2 hours on and 2 off ...which wasnt a joy at all, get your poles sorted out for going downwind and make sure that you have a sea anchor and a good storm sail.... then you can start looking at the engine and ,gearbox and plumbing and charging system and everything in between but the boat itself look after her and shell look after you in a much better way than an old catalina xcetra, Have fun in the Marquesses P
Fletchasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 02:03   #10

I have met several Cal 39's in the South Pacific and Mexico over the years. I really like them, excellent performer and good cruiser. I have heard reports of rudder failures in some of them so it would be wise to probably rebuild the rudder if it wasn't done recently.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 10:05   #11

Boat: Tayana 37

I know of a Shannon 38 in Florida that's listed for 49k. Might be worth checking out. I think it's on Yachtworld.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cruise