Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-11-2009, 15:12   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Now racing across the Pac would be indicative of a boat that is desigend for offshore work, so the question is, is it, or is it not a potential cruising vessel?"
Nope, not an indicator. A racing boat typically is laid out and rigged for a LARGE BUSY CREW and may require running backstays that translate into "you'll break the rig if you don't keep busy" for the cruiser. A racing boat typically carries a minimal engine, enough to meet the regs for the racing class it is designed for. A cruiser may plan to carry enough engine to power through adverse wx for four days or longer.
A racing boat may depend on having eight guys for railmeat ballast. A cruiser...has to buy a lot of drinks before he can dragoon eight guys from a bar and drag them down to the boat.

Plow horse, battle charger, quarter horse, kiddy pony. All good horses, all eat hay, all fertilize roses, but they can be so different in so many ways.

Cal39? Dunno, never sailed on one. With the right skipper and crew, even a dugout canoe makes a great ocean cruiser.

Old 03-11-2009, 15:51   #17
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
What's your point? No one said it is a racer, it's a cruiser, so what's with all the stuff about racing? I have a Cal-39 and just told you it's a fine cruiser and can go anywhere.

Old 03-11-2009, 16:50   #18

Boat: Cal 39, Mark II -
Cal 39 -

Just to be clear, I'm not. I was concerned about the thread, but since I have experience on the Cal, having raced it to Hawai'i several times, and knowing the Lapworth designs, I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt....

I would be interested in hearing what anyone would say about my solo year and a half through the Caribbean into South America on a Whitby 42 Ketch...yes, I know, a bathtub with sticks...but like the Cal, the Whitby is a good boat, albeit a much slower one caparatively speaking.

I have many, many years of sailing (100 ton masters- naval officer) and real world business experience, and could buy whatever I want, but the Cal 39 captured my heart many years ago....and regardless of other's opinions.... I love this boat, always have, and having found a beautiful 1980 39, I am quite excited, actually. The gentleman that sent the note referencing the California Sailor with the Charter Service....I do appreciate the info and spent some time on the site.........

I will post some pics soon....before and after, but I cannot wait for feedback...

Thanks again,

Charles
Old 03-11-2009, 16:56   #19

hello, you missed the point....I was not referring to racing, but the capacity of the boat to do both...don't race anymore (J's in Florida for years, and one designs in CA as a kid), and don't care to....but I do prefer a well made, offshore, and fast boat....

BTW, raced a few log canoes on the Chesapeake...you?

goodbye...!
Old 03-11-2009, 21:24   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
What's your point? No one said it is a racer, it's a cruiser, so what's with all the stuff about racing? I have a Cal-39 and just told you it's a fine cruiser and can go anywhere.
Well, Don, if you didn't see the quote that I was responding to, then you would of course has missed the entire point of the response. What the Cal39 is, or what it was designed as, was certainly not my point. The quote that I was responding to, was.

No more, no less.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:39   #21

Absolutely agreed, Don. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone that has actually sailed a Cal 39 making such obtuse observations. I have never heard them before....most I have discussed this with are so enamored with them, they want one.

I know after sailing them in CA when I was younger I have always wanted one! I have had several boats, a T-37, a Whitby 42, and Irwin Citation 38 (fast boat but not a cruiser) and a Morgan 41 (1971), the actual CCA model Teddy built way back when. The Morgan was the only one that was close.... And I love my Cal 39, Boomerang!

Sailed Boomerang! across the Chesapeake last Monday...light winds, 5-8 knots....made 6.7 over ground average for the trip with only the 130 genny and main hoisted. Have not even put up the staysail yet....that would have been a benefit I'm sure.

Are you currently on the Yahoo owners site? I have lots of pics up there, and always enjoy looking at photos of others....

Best, and Happy Holidays,

Charles
Boomerang! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 14:10   #22

This is the problems with forums. There is information. There are opinions. And then there is the other stuff which proibably accounts for more than 50%.

I do not own a boat - never have. I have sailed on alot of boats. Racers, cruisers. All of em. I am researching a boat to buy for my family. I came across the Cal 39 and have been researching it.

This guy Jeff H who posted on this thread earlier seems to be the only person in the world that does not like this boat. His statements are exactly opposite of statements made repeatedly by numerous people. The Cal 39 is a great racing boat with PHRF ratings below 115 and maybe even below 100 on certain boats. The Cal 39 and a long history ofr ocean racing (Bermuda, Transpac) and has its share of wins. The Cal build quality seems to be highly regarded. These boats seem to hold their value better than most anything of their age or type.

So in short, Jeff H is a loner. I would ignore all of his statements as uninformed.
Old 02-02-2010, 14:12   #23

and by the way, anyone with a 3 cabin Cal 39 that wants to sell....call me.
Old 02-02-2010, 15:04   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Being nice...

I would remind members that we debate the issue. If you don't know what I mean reread the rules.

We take the "Play nice." rule very seriously.
Old 02-02-2010, 16:51   #25

Boat: Cal 39
This response is a little late for the original question "will the CAL 39 make a good live aboard bluewater cruiser?" We bought our CAL39 five years ago. We have been living aboard four. For two people it makes a great live aboard,well laid out and ample storage. Only one brief offshore experience when we brought her down from Rhode Island to Baltimore. We love how she sails and have fun club racing on Thursday nights. We've heard many positive stories about the CAL39 performance offshore, in both TransPac and Bermuda races. Finally, our sailing guru who has an international racing pedagree, loves the boat as much as we do. We look forward to cruising her soon!
Old 11-02-2010, 18:34   #26

And now that I have mine (always wanted one) I am totally and completely happy with her. I must admit that I have only sailed her twice since buying her...but bringing her across the bay was incredible....just like I remembered them sailing the TransPac. Had 10-12 and was making 8-9 over ground... Sweet!

Now, having had her on the hard to do the refit to make her ours, I am more convinced now that she was the right buy. Extremely well built...sails like a dream, and has the amenities that are perfect for offshore work...if you know how to sail!

Anyone that does not sail one of these has absolutley no clue what they are talking about...and probably sails a hunter.....LOL....
Old 11-02-2010, 18:39   #27

Hey Phoutz, could not agree more. Where in Baltimore are you? I bought mine in Baltimore from a girl that had brought here here via truck from San Pedro, CA.

She is on Kent Island now, and will be in St Michaels where we live by Spring....also, are you aware that there is a great Cal Group on Yahoo? There are a bunch of us (Cal Owners - a great source of info on these fine boats)...and there are several 39's and lots of others on the bay.... There is also a Cal/O'Day/Ranger Association locally, with all kinds of activities from Raft Ups, Regattas and other things going on all year long. If you were aware of all that, then....whoops!

Let us know.
Old 11-02-2010, 18:56   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gee, I hadn't even been thinking of a Cal 39, and now I want one.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:50   #29

They're great boats. Great for cruising, day sailing, or racing. I noticed you're from Houston...you aren't that far from the water....I have friends that keep their boats in Clearlake.....or even further south, that live in Houston. Great place to sail...adn a great place for a Cal if you can find one!

You don't find many outside of CA...and few owners part with them...Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2010, 14:49   #30
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Mine's for sale. It is post in the classified section here, probably quite a few pages back.

Tags
cal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: