Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2014, 04:45   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,196
Images: 24
Re: Cal 35

I love my cal 35 mkII. We are currently
Cruising her South on the Icw. She has a five foot draft and we've still managed to run her aground a couple of times. It's par for the course on the icw. She's an awesome boat and I know her in and out. Let me know if you have questions.
__________________

__________________
__________________________________________
Unbusted67 or just Ben
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 11:01   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,432
Re: Cal 35

In the mid 90s I delivered a Cal 35(dash 2, or maybe dash 3) from Hawaii to SF. It had been raced over in a cruising class. About 4 hours out of Honolulu I turned around and went back because the rudder post was flexing so bad that I thought something major was wrong. I had a surveyor come to the boat, and he said "They all do that, dont worry about it". At the time, I was used to sailing larger boats, and any flexing felt weird, and the Hawaiian channels are some of the roughest sailing in the Pacific. I left again the next morning, and it was still flexing, but I trusted the surveyor, and continued on. A day out and conditions calmed enough that I never felt it flex after that. Had a really nice delivery, and the boat sailed very well, and seemed to be well built other than the rudder post. If I owned one, I would do some kind of stiffening to that area, but. Most people can sail a lifetime and not get beat up as much as one can in the Hawaiian channels, so maybe it is not necessary to beef it up, but I would. Overall, a very nice sailing boat. Just my 2 cents worth. _______Grant.
__________________

__________________
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 14:22   #33
Senior Cruiser
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,196
Images: 24
Cal 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
In the mid 90s I delivered a Cal 35(dash 2, or maybe dash 3) from Hawaii to SF. It had been raced over in a cruising class. About 4 hours out of Honolulu I turned around and went back because the rudder post was flexing so bad that I thought something major was wrong. I had a surveyor come to the boat, and he said "They all do that, dont worry about it". At the time, I was used to sailing larger boats, and any flexing felt weird, and the Hawaiian channels are some of the roughest sailing in the Pacific. I left again the next morning, and it was still flexing, but I trusted the surveyor, and continued on. A day out and conditions calmed enough that I never felt it flex after that. Had a really nice delivery, and the boat sailed very well, and seemed to be well built other than the rudder post. If I owned one, I would do some kind of stiffening to that area, but. Most people can sail a lifetime and not get beat up as much as one can in the Hawaiian channels, so maybe it is not necessary to beef it up, but I would. Overall, a very nice sailing boat. Just my 2 cents worth. _______Grant.

It's funny you should mention this because right after my above post we cracked our rudder post on our 35. I'm not sure how this happened. I like to back into a slip so I'm wondering maybe if I accidentally had it hard over and just put too much strain on it or if it was a system breakdown after too much wear and tear.

I should clarify that when I say rudder post I am referring to the fiberglass tube that the rudder shaft goes into. G Gordon is this tube what you were referring to?The tube was leaking just a little bit where it met the hull and I just reinforced it like crazy with fiberglass. It's bullet proof now.




Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
__________________________________________
Unbusted67 or just Ben
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 23:36   #34
Registered User
 
Capt'n Ricko's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal - Until Oct 2016 - Then Headed South!
Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85
Posts: 71
Re: Cal 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
It's funny you should mention this because right after my above post we cracked our rudder post on our 35. I'm not sure how this happened. I like to back into a slip so I'm wondering maybe if I accidentally had it hard over and just put too much strain on it or if it was a system breakdown after too much wear and tear.

I should clarify that when I say rudder post I am referring to the fiberglass tube that the rudder shaft goes into. G Gordon is this tube what you were referring to?The tube was leaking just a little bit where it met the hull and I just reinforced it like crazy with fiberglass. It's bullet proof now.




Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Did you by chance document your repairs with any pictures?
__________________
Capt'n Ricko - S/V Tiki Notion (formerly S/V Second Wind) - Getting Ready to Leave!

http://svtikinotion.jimdo.com/
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 00:20   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,432
Re: Cal 35

Of course the shaft came up through the tube, and the whole thing flexed much more than I was comfortable with, but I dont think it was the actual shaft bending. It was just the pressure from the shaft moving the tube. It didnt leak, and I didnt see any sign of fractures or cracks. It only did that under some real rough conditions, but if it went on for long enough it could cause damage. I would figure out some way to beef it up. Just my 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
__________________
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:58   #36
Senior Cruiser
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,196
Images: 24
Cal 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Ricko View Post
Did you by chance document your repairs with any pictures?

I'm sorry. I didn't. That thing is buried in a dark place in the stern.

Thanks for the info gGordon. If we do any offshore work I might beef it up even more. I have some questions about the main bulkhead and how it isn't fastened to anything at its base. It just kind of rests in a groove that the hull liner forms. Kind of a weird construction method.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
__________________________________________
Unbusted67 or just Ben
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:16   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
Re: Cal 35

What does everyone have as a bearing at the top of the rudder? I just have a couple of pieces of teflon with a hole cut in the middle and I am thinking of replacing it.
__________________
josh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 15:47   #38
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: Cal 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh123 View Post
What does everyone have as a bearing at the top of the rudder? I just have a couple of pieces of teflon with a hole cut in the middle and I am thinking of replacing it.
Most rudder bearings are cylindrical straight or flanged plain plastic bushings. I replaced my original crappy cheap lower one with a delrin or other engineering polymer from these guys. igus® - iglide® Plastic Bushings It was very cheap at 7.50 for a 2 1/2 inch bore bearing.
__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:42   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Seattle
Boat: Cal, MKII, 35
Posts: 1
Re: Cal 35

Hi All,
Have enjoyed reading the former posts immensely. I live aboard a 1981 Cal 35 MKII in Seattle, WA. After a year of craigslist browsing and saving, my gal and I purchased the vessel in a state of neglect March 2015 and are now working towards cruising her South. Would like to post more soon or start a blog. Just nice to see others online with the same make model and wanted to drop a line!
All the best,
Elliot
__________________
mortoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 22:10   #40
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Cal 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Most rudder bearings are cylindrical straight or flanged plain plastic bushings. I replaced my original crappy cheap lower one with a delrin or other engineering polymer from these guys. igus® - iglide® Plastic Bushings It was very cheap at 7.50 for a 2 1/2 inch bore bearing.
This should be the forum's automatic answer to the rudder bearing question. These people are great.
__________________

__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cal

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Cal ? SaltyMonkey Monohull Sailboats 103 22-08-2012 21:42
Fountaine Parot Highland 35 clayzone Powered Boats 0 04-07-2011 17:37
For Sale: PUR 35 Watermaker GoodRun Classifieds Archive 3 01-07-2011 17:00
For Sale: PUR 35 Watermaker GoodRun Classifieds Archive 4 27-06-2011 08:33



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.