Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 09:28   #1

Cal 28 vs Cascade 29 vs Catalina 28

Ok, I've done a little research lately on different boats and which ones I think will provide the best boat for coastal cruising with a family of 3. We want to learn to sail with the boat we buy, spend about a year fixing and sailing around the pudget sound. Then sail down the coast to south america, and into the gulf of mexico, to cruise and try out the live aboard life style. If its something we enjoy, we might do it for along time, who knows?

So my question comes down to the type of boat to get. I'm really looking for quality built, with a good floor plan. I like the layout of the Cal 28 since it has 2 quarter berths, which would be great for our son... then the extra for storage I guess? I like the tiller steering, I've read it is easier and cheaper to install an auto pilot on a tiller. Plus it can be folded out of the way, taking up less cockpit space. The one I found is in canada, is it difficult to get the boat registered in america if it is registered in canada?

I've read the cascade is a quality boat, i'm unsure of the floor plan and other things.

I've read the catilina is "flimsy", but I've found one locally.

Obviously I'm a little biased already towards the Cal, but how do the cascade and catalina compare?

I'm looking for a boat less than $10k, the ones I'm looking at are older fiberglass boats made in the 70's and 80's
burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:56   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Cal 28 vs Cascade 29 vs Catalina 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonridr View Post
I've read the cascade is a quality boat, i'm unsure of the floor plan and other things.

I've read the catilina is "flimsy", but I've found one locally.
A real simple Google search will locate the Cascade 29 floorplan, and you would also discover it to be a tiller boat. Google "cascade 29 sailboat," and the floorplan will be available on the first page of hits.

Your source on the Catalina (note the spelling) 28 is flat-out wrong, and you ought to be ashamed of yourself for passing such misinformation along in a forum where first-hand knowledge is preferred over innuendo. If you do some actual research, you'll find that it will out-sail the other two boats, especially in light air, and that the interior is roomier than either the Cal or the Cascade.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:10   #3
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Everything you say about the Cal is true. For it's size you will not find a more comfortable layout. We have had ours for 3 years now and it is almost a full time liveaboard. We recently pulled EVERYTHING off it to do some major work and we have FILLED a 7'x5' locker to the top. That's a lot of stuff to get off such a small cruiser ; -)

The flush deck makes for a much more open cabin and you won't find a larger V-berth with as much head room on any boat in it's class.

If you are a diy kinda guy you can pick one up for 2k and sink another 10k into making her nice. If you want one closer to ready to sail than you can find them in the 10k to 20k range.

This one is in your area and looks sweet;

Cal 28 Sailboat

These come up on Craigslist all the time.

Try search tempest so you can search the list over a wider area.

cal 28 on SearchTempest

I can not speak to the build on the other boats as I have never owned them. I learned to sail on a Catalina 22 and while it was a nice enough day sailor, if the 29' is at all similar I would not consider it for your purposes.

We have looked at a TON of boats in this range, Hunters, Fantasias, Catalinas, O'Days, Ranger's, Newports, Contessas and a bunch I can't remember. The Cal is the best interior layout by far.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Your source on the Catalina (note the spelling) 28 is flat-out wrong,the interior is roomier than either the Cal or the Cascade.
Gotta disagree with ya on this one Bash,

The Catalina has no quarter berth, and the cabin, while beamier, has that center table and midship head and a cramped v berth in comparison. The bow angle is much more acute and the lower deck makes it cramped.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:19   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Personally if South America is your goal, I would say none of the above, if it's with a family. But...If your goal is to learn to sail with your family and see if the life is for you, why not start with a Catalina 27 in your area? Lot's of room, good sailing and I have seen a few go for $2K at harbor auctions. Just a thought. by the way, I've sailed on a Cascade 30. Good, fast and stout. They will go anywhere but they are cramped.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Personally if South America is your goal, I would say none of the above, if it's with a family. But...If your goal is to learn to sail with your family and see if the life is for you, why not start with a Catalina 27 in your area? Lot's of room, good sailing and I have seen a few go for $2K at harbor auctions. Just a thought. by the way, I've sailed on a Cascade 30. Good, fast and stout. They will go anywhere but they are cramped.
Why wouldnt any of those be a good fit for S. America with a family?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:42   #7

Catalina will usually re-sell easier than the others.... although the 28...? not many I've seen ... is it newer? Usually see 30 or 27's. Cascade likely the harder to re-sell... just depends I guess. Other decent options than mentioned are the S2, Ericsons or Newports.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:45   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I do like the Ericson 30 and it is a well built boat, and a friend has a Newport 29 and it seems like a nice boat but I don't know how durable it is.

I think Colombia makes a nice pocket cruiser, but I still love my little flat top.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49   #9

Quote:
A real simple Google search will locate the Cascade 29 floorplan, and you would also discover it to be a tiller boat. Google "cascade 29 sailboat," and the floorplan will be available on the first page of hits.

Your source on the Catalina (note the spelling) 28 is flat-out wrong, and you ought to be ashamed of yourself for passing such misinformation along in a forum where first-hand knowledge is preferred over innuendo. If you do some actual research, you'll find that it will out-sail the other two boats, especially in light air, and that the interior is roomier than either the Cal or the Cascade.
You must have catilina....

Why does everyone say they are flimsy? I've read it from two different places by two different people.

Why do you like them so much?

I'm open for debate on which is better and why, so let here it.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post

This one is in your area and looks sweet;

Cal 28 Sailboat
I think thats the one I spotted(work block Craislist though so I cant verify), I like it

Is it easy enough to bringin from canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I can not speak to the build on the other boats as I have never owned them. I learned to sail on a Catalina 22 and while it was a nice enough day sailor, if the 29' is at all similar I would not consider it for your purposes.
Why?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:17   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonridr View Post
I think thats the one I spotted(work block Craislist though so I cant verify), I like it

Is it easy enough to bringin from canada?

Why?
The Cal in the listing is at North Saanich Marina, on one of the islands in BC. That's pretty near Seattle. Maybe under 100 miles? The winds would be in your favor sailing south and east. Two day sail? You would have to decide if that counted as "easy".

And as for why, your area is pretty heavy seas and winds much of the time, not mild conditions as a rule. I sailed the Catalina in tropical waters that were pretty mild and easy for the most part. When the wind picked up I did not, in comparison to my Cal, like how she sailed.

For the west coast, and for long range sailing I would prefer a boat that "Likes the wind in her teeth".

Plenty of folks like the Catalinas, perhaps more the larger models, and sail them up and down the coast and thru the Caribbean. Just not my choice.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:32   #12

Yeah.... big difference between 22 ft trailersailors and 27-30 footers in most boat lines though. My first was a 21 footer and it was just a thin glass shell for sure.... like dingy sailing! And actually during the sailing season up here (May/June -Sept/Oct) we are primarily motorboats due to no wind at all!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:38   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah.... big difference between 22 ft trailersailors and 27-30 footers in most boat lines though. My first was a 21 footer and it was just a thin glass shell for sure.... like dingy sailing! And actually during the sailing season up here (May/June -Sept/Oct) we are primarily motorboats due to no wind at all!
That's why I qualified with "If the 28 is anything like the 22" and I would not be surprised to hear that the 28 was much stouter than the 22. But I don't know myself how the 28 (or 29 or 30) handles ; -)

And I confess, SF Bay centric person that I am I wasn't thinking of a 'sailing season', I was sort of considering the year round conditions ; -)

We sometimes have more wind, and sometimes less, but rarely do we have none ; -D

Old 03-05-2012, 11:39   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Is it possible to be ashamed on the internet? - a new concept on me .

In regard to OP, I would recomend that you buy locally to you. Probably any of your list, in well found condition, could suit your needs. Probably most of them will be good enough, even if they all have differing pros & cons. At the end of the day one 28 / 29 footer has a lot in common with another - as largely dictated by the size it is.

The only problem in choosing is that you don't know what you need or want.......because you don't (yet) know what you need or want....therefore no one else will know which is "better" for you either. Lots of research, lots of boat visits - and then you buy a lottery ticket .

Personally I would go onboard each example - and if not totally put off by anything (nothing will be 100% perfect for you - boats ain't made that way!) then simply buy the best condition example you can (at the right price). and buy locally so first trip(s) are in your time and not a forced delivery passage.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49   #15

And I confess, SF Bay centric person that I am I wasn't thinking of a 'sailing season', I was sort of considering the year round conditions ; -)

yeah.... I should have said "fairweather sailing" hah...!

Tags
cal, cal 28, cal 29, catalina