Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2016, 13:52   #1

Cal-20 help

I'm rebuilding my cal-20, it's had a rough life and it's time to make the old gal new again....

I need some advice on the chain plates. My boat has had the rub rail ground off and the hull and deck joint glassed over, so I'm wondering if I should just re use the factory style chain plates or if I should get some stainless and make a strap that would bolt to the outside.of the hull/deck and have the load transfered into the hull instead of deck. Or if I should just make some beefed up backing plates and put them back how they were.

The boat is getting new rigging and new sails, so it isn't going to sail like 40 year old boat, and is going to be used year-round in the San Juans, so, I would like to make it as solid as possible.

Any advice.would be great
Chinook92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 18:11   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: Cal-20 help

Any chance you could ask a rigger since you are getting new rigging anyway? Without pics, either inspect very carefully for cracking, corrosion or other degradation; or the other option is just make new ones. A welding shop should be able to make some new ones for you from stainless steel for a reasonable price. I'd suggest 316 SS for minimal extra cost.

Good luck!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 18:27   #3

Boat: Vagabond 14

Definitely can't even guess without pics and probably shouldn't guess without in person inspection by someone with experience in this type repairs.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 21:28   #4

Good advice. Also consider the jib sheets and how they are run back to where the track(s) are. Moving the upper shrouds outboard may compromise what you have. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal