Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2007, 11:07   #1

Cabo Rico 38

Hello everyone! I've been posting under meets and greets as my husband and I are very new to liveaboard cruising. We've looked at a lot of boats here in Texas and I keep coming back to the Cabo Rico 38. Does anyone own one or have any first hand knowledge of one?
annegibsonwaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 12:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Stout Water boats">blue water boats that usually look quite nice. I could understand why you might come back to one. The 42's are actually even better. They are not fast but will haul a very large amount of stuff. Not in the economy category as far as price though one a few years old should fix up nice and hold value a good long time if maintained well. Making the budget work is probably the only negative I can think of.

You might also want to look at some Valiants since they make them in Texas. A friend found a nice deal at the factory on one that was returned.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 16:08   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I really like their design and style and they look like great quality. Like I said earlier, I haven't sailed one or owned one.
One of the best tests you can have about your own boat is walking down the dock or rowing to your mooring and feel chest bursting pride when you see your boat to the others.
That's truly falling in love with a boat and it'll find you when you find it.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:42   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
While I have never sailed on one, I have been aboard and the quality is first rate. The owner had to go behind me to clean up my drowl. I always felt this was one of the sexiest boats I have ever seen. When one comes into the harbor, all work stops as people watch one gracefully slide into her slip.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:40   #5

We have friends with a 34. Wonderful boat, very well built.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:43   #6

Boat: Pacific Trawler 37
Very, very nice but quite a bit of teak to maintain.
jjorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 21:02   #7

The Cabo is still on our short list; but, we looked at some other boats this weekend at Seabrook. Our favorites were the Wauquiez 47, 44' Nassau/Tatoosh, and the 45' Bruce Roberts. I haven't seen anything bad about the Wauquiez, except for the teak on deck (which was recently been redone on this boat), I haven't found anything on the Naussau. The Roberts boat was built by and owned by this surveyor. My question is this - how do you get an honest survey on a surveyor's boat by a surveyor who lives in the same area? lol Sounds like there could be some conflict of interest.

Anne
annegibsonwaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:33   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
There are plenty of opinions on Bruce Roberts boats on the site. It might do you some good to do a search on it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:53   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
[My question is this - how do you get an honest survey on a surveyor's boat by a surveyor who lives in the same area? lol Sounds like there could be some conflict of interest.
A conflict of interest is when the surveyor owns the boat. Knowing the guy that owns the boat is not. If you are dealing with a professional surveyor then there should never be a problem. Sometimes you buy a boat in a small town and everyone knows everyone. My first one went that way. The surveyor was the best one I ever hired. It cuts both ways and a professional surveyor has to keep a professional reputation or they don't get insurance business or any respect. It's like hiring a CPA to review some company records. If you fell better you could spend an extra thousand dollars and fly a surveyor in. In the end they never find all the things and you have to have one to buy insurance.

I think at this point your list sounds pretty nice. It probably comes down to specific boats and specific problems more than fundamental problems. None of these boats have bad reputations or serious reasons to exclude them only based on the brand name. To be honest I can't think of a long list of boats that only based on the name are "bad".

I would make a list of actual boats that are for sale in your area. Once you see a few up close and compare the numbers you can tell quickly which are the ones to go after. Making a list of all potential boats then seeking them out is a painstaking process. You can only buy a boat for that is for sale.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:59   #10

The boats built by Henri are very nice very well built boats. The teak deck is nearing the end of its life after 20 years so you will be looking at a $40~$50k deck job.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabo rico