Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 21:52   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Cabin Headroom for 6'8" Sailor

Columbia 43, 50
Cal 48
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:29   #17

Boat: Young 43

Our new yacht is a NZ Jim Young designed Young 43 with a pilot house saloon/galley and 7' headroom.At 6'1" I love the headroom but I have one bulkhead downstairs into the forward cabin that has tempered my complacancy.
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:46   #18

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesels12 View Post
I am new to the forums and this is my first post. I got the sailing bug recently and of course I am looking to purchase a new 42' to 50' sailboat. My main criteria is having enough head room in the cabin and the stateroom to stand up. I am 6'8" and I am looking for some suggestions as to the roomiest brands of boats on the market. I am looking for a cruiser if I buy a monohull. Any suggestions would be helpfull. I will also post this in the catamaran forums to see what they have to offer.
thanks
I am currently having built a 42' semi custom yacht. One of the many advantages is that you can have what ever you want. 7' headroom, no problem, it will just mean slightly less water capacity (1100 litres anyway). How long do you want those beds? No problem. How much legroom do you want at the nav station? No problem. Seriously, I think semi-custom is the way to go for many other reasons and I'm 5'7.01" If I was 6'8" there would be no question.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04   #19

Quote:
I am new to the forums and this is my first post. I got the sailing bug recently and of course I am looking to purchase a new 42' to 50' sailboat. My main criteria is having enough head room in the cabin and the stateroom to stand up. I am 6'8" and I am looking for some suggestions as to the roomiest brands of boats on the market. I am looking for a cruiser if I buy a monohull. Any suggestions would be helpfull. I will also post this in the catamaran forums to see what they have to offer.
thanks
Depending on what you want to pay, you can start out with an Island Packet (Bob Johnson) or an Endeavour 43 (also Bob Johnson); ours has 6'8" + throughout. The Endeavour 40 and 42 are retooled Irwin designs but have great headroom almost throughout. The E43 was Bob Johnson's first complete design and many of their features are carried over into the Island Packets.

1980 Endeavour 43 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1985 Endeavour Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1984 Endeavour Center Cockpit - Price Reduced Sail Boat For Sale -

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:20   #20

I am 6' 10" myself and as my name implies, I own a Seafarer 23. Room to stand is of course out of the question unless the companionway hatch is slid back. However, I do have room to stretch out completely in the v-berth which is more than I can ask of a 23' boat. Great to see I'm not the only one on a constant quest for head room. Good luck with your search.
Seafarer 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:53   #21
STG

Boat: Coronado 35

I have the same problem. I am 6'4" and living on my boat with only 6' headroom. I started a thread today throwing out the idea of raising the hull and deck to add the room. Replies so far have been negative on the thread, but mostly because no one has done it and most think it is too much work and cost. I am not so sure about that, but will continue the research.

I have also started a conversation with a naval architect and custom boat builder this morning who was recommended and he thinks it is very doable and will not affect stability too much. He has requested boat pictures and will help me decide if I am to go forward with it.

Granted each boat has it's own unique attributes which would affect this option. Mast going through deck or not, how is rigging attached, are walls all covered with cabinets and wood, etc. Mine has all ideal details for this project.

Just something to consider.
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 18:33   #22

Boat: contessa 32

I sailed with a very accomplished sailor(6' 9)and asked him if he ever wanted to own a boat that he could stand up in. He replied that he would never want to own such a boat! Study yacht design (and costs) and find out why he would make such a statement.
'
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 19:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
I sailed with a very accomplished sailor(6' 9)and asked him if he ever wanted to own a boat that he could stand up in. He replied that he would never want to own such a boat! Study yacht design (and costs) and find out why he would make such a statement.
'
Accomplished in whose eyes? It's virtually impossible to qualify or quantify such a nonsensical comment. There are many boats out there with stand up room that maintain more "accomplished" records than this type of comment from another Google trained sailor.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 19:26   #24

Quote:
I got the sailing bug recently and of course I am looking to purchase a new 42' to 50' sailboat.

This implies you have little to no sailing experience and have bucket loads of money , $500,000 and up, to throw into something you don't know if you even like that much.
SunKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 20:43   #25

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

There are many good designs for yachts with 7' + headroom. Mine has 7' but could have added another 4 " without trouble. Mine was semi-custom. Look around. As a previous poster notes, added headroom reduces below-floor storage and narrows the floor breadth. Not a big issue if your head is comfortable.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headroom