Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-08-2016, 11:44   #1

C&C Shark 24 - a westcoast boat?

Hey all - I have my first opportunity to purchase a sailboat! I have been an avid powerboater for my entire life and have a very close family friend who is selling their shark 24. They have owned the boat for 30+ years and have kept it in pristine condition. Vancouver being vancouver... the current wait for moorage is 3+ years however if i purchase the boat i can sublet the moorage from him! Ideally i was looking for a slightly larger/beamier boat for overnighters. What are your thoughts on this boat as a west coast boat? It will spend its time sailing the inner harbour and crossing the Georgia Strait to the gulf islands - i would say half the time i will be sailing alone. Thanks for any input!

Old 30-08-2016, 12:45   #2

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: C&C Shark 24 - a westcoast boat?

I think a Shark in good shape would be a good choice for the kind of sailing you will be doing. I assume it will have a larger genoa for light wind conditions.

We are biting the bullet and selling Ainia (if anyone wants Bristol 45.5 in great shape let me know). Looking for something smaller and faster in light Lake Ontario winds, although we want to keep the new boat in the Caribbean for a few (number tbd) winters.
AiniA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 06:19   #3

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Great boat, fast and stable. Plenty of them in the great lakes used primarily for club racing.

Enjoy
Old 31-08-2016, 07:48   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

My first sailboat was a Hinterhoeller 25 (http://www.svsarah.com/Sailing/SailingHR25.htm), same basic boat, just a little larger cockpit. It was a very stiff sailor and a forgiving boat for a 1st time owner. Also easy to maintain. Winter maintenance was mostly hauling the outboard home.

IMO, a good choice.

John
Old 31-08-2016, 08:39   #5

Boat: No boat right now

Many sharks around here (Kingston ON), and I have sailed some myself.

Its a very small boat. Narrow beam. Almost no space below. Its built for reaching with big winds, planing...very exciting in a blow. But altogether, not a great sailing boat, tender, and not fast on the wind.

I would have to recommend against it. There are other boats in that catagory that would give you a lot more. Tanzer 22. Or my favorite, the C&C25. One more foot LOA, but triple the boat...points high, sails well and fast. Go sit on a shark, then visit a C&C25, and you will understand immediately.

Just my $0.02.
Old 31-08-2016, 09:20   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Antigua 37

Definitely a tuff little boat in a blow. Not the fastest in light air, the C&C 25 would be better for that. However, as you mentioned, the slip and boat offer is for a Shark, so if you want to sail and have a slip there, then you have no choice and the Shark is a good choice for single handing. Fractional rig spinnaker that one person can handle easily. Get a "Class legal" I think 180% genoa and that will help you in the light winds and you'll still be able to crank it in by yourself. Enjoy, great starter boat!
Old 31-08-2016, 09:56   #7

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25

Awesome starter boat. I've owned 2, hull number 39 and hull number 195.
I owned the first on for 12 years and sailed club racing, and cruising. For cruising we would sail lake Winnipeg doing around 200 miles up the lake for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. The Shark is a tough boat that loves big wind.. They were designed to sail the Great Lakes. PHRF 240 so not the fastest but very responsive and accelerates quickly when you get it dialled in.
I just sold my hull number 195 last weekend. I've been using her as a training boat for the past 8 years and my students love the ease of handling and responsiveness of the boat..

As a first boat it's an excellent choice..
Old 31-08-2016, 19:33   #8

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Found
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12 View Post
Hey all - I have my first opportunity to purchase a sailboat! I have been an avid powerboater for my entire life and have a very close family friend who is selling their shark 24. They have owned the boat for 30+ years and have kept it in pristine condition. Vancouver being vancouver... the current wait for moorage is 3+ years however if i purchase the boat i can sublet the moorage from him! Ideally i was looking for a slightly larger/beamier boat for overnighters. What are your thoughts on this boat as a west coast boat? It will spend its time sailing the inner harbour and crossing the Georgia Strait to the gulf islands - i would say half the time i will be sailing alone. Thanks for any input!
There were thousands of Sharks made since the early 60's and first models were wood. When FRP became popular Sharks were built having structural members sizes in FRP as in wood, no one had experience in the new wonder material. Boats up to early 70's were constructed in EPOXY RESIN and sharks were built like tanks. After the energy crunch polyesters and vinyl-esters at 25% of cost were introduced with resulting osmosis problems.
I owned a shark N0.154 for many years, sailing 1000's miles and was very happy with her. Originally built in Niagara on the Lake by Hinterholler, and then by others under license in the US and Europe. First time it was raced by the designer, 24hr race across Lake Ontario it came first beating 40ft plus vessels at an average speed of 10.4kts.
Met a family in Australia, mum, dad, 2 kids from Vancouver that had sailed her down. Also husband and wife in England that sailed across and living on the boat during winter. Found many in the Bahamas from Canada.
Easy to single hand and very forgiving. Some say she is under canvassed but that makes her safe for a family. At our club Sharks were more likely to go out than others in stormy conditions. GO FOR IT AND ENJOY.

International Shark Class Association - ISCA | Shark 24 One Design ...

www.shark24.org/

International Shark Class Association - ISCA | Shark 24 One Design Keelboat ... from Day 1 action and interviews from the 2016 Shark Worlds on Lake Traunsee, Austria. ... in Canadian Yachting featuring new Sharks at the Dusseldorf boat show. ... 2017 World Championships ... Note new Sunday-Wednesday racing format.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: