Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 19:01   #1

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
C&C Landfall - Ocean Crossing Ability?

I have a C&C landfall 38 and am wondering if anyone out in the cruising community have seen these boats do any major ocean crossings. We have had the boat in 35 knot winds on Lake Winnipeg and she handled like a champ in the close wave. Having 30+ years of sailing experience I feel that the boat is mechanistically and physically sound, however, I have had other sailors say that the boats are really only meant for coastal sailing. Hopefully I can get some direction from others out there.
Landfall 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 19:14   #2

Boat: Bristol 29
You will enjoy this:
C&C Landfall 38 - Stella Blue

Lots of great content and ideas.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:23   #3

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaWriter View Post
You will enjoy this:
C&C Landfall 38 - Stella Blue

Lots of great content and ideas.
I agree, the owner's work is top dog!
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 07:41   #4

Boat: 2009 Bénéteau 31
Landfall 38

Hello!
Your post is from March or April: I just saw it to-day. My wife and I sailed aboard a Landfall 38 called Parbleu! from 1996 to 2006.
We did the Marion-Bermuda in 2001 (going from Montreal to Boston via the Maggies & Halifax both ways), sailed to the Bahamas in 2003, hit a reef in Charleston in April 2004, got the keelbolts straightened and new rudder, sailed in June to Bermuda, Azores, Portugal, wintered in Spain, living on the boat in Cŕdiz. Sailed to the Canaries in April-May, left the boat (in the water) in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 'till January '06. Sailed to Barbados (22 days 4 hours) & Martinique, lived aboard to April. Docked her untill July, sailed from Martinique to St-Martin, Bermuda (3rd time) and Halifax...
That's three crossings and a lot of coastal. Luckily we only suffered through Isabel (2003) and Delta (2005) and survived them quite well.
We had some safety modifications made to conform to the ORC to do the Marion-Bermuda.
We sold the boat in 2008, as grandparents our cruising grounds have shrinked a little... never the less, we are leaving for the Bahamas for the winter in a few days.
Great luck with your projects, if you wish any more info please do not hesitate to write!
Pierre, Le Caboteur
caboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 08:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pierre.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Landfall.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:07   #6

Boat: C&C 38 Landfall
Re: Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboteur View Post
Hello!
Your post is from March or April: I just saw it to-day. My wife and I sailed aboard a Landfall 38 called Parbleu! from 1996 to 2006.
We did the Marion-Bermuda in 2001 (going from Montreal to Boston via the Maggies & Halifax both ways), sailed to the Bahamas in 2003, hit a reef in Charleston in April 2004, got the keelbolts straightened and new rudder, sailed in June to Bermuda, Azores, Portugal, wintered in Spain, living on the boat in Cŕdiz. Sailed to the Canaries in April-May, left the boat (in the water) in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 'till January '06. Sailed to Barbados (22 days 4 hours) & Martinique, lived aboard to April. Docked her untill July, sailed from Martinique to St-Martin, Bermuda (3rd time) and Halifax...
That's three crossings and a lot of coastal. Luckily we only suffered through Isabel (2003) and Delta (2005) and survived them quite well.
We had some safety modifications made to conform to the ORC to do the Marion-Bermuda.
We sold the boat in 2008, as grandparents our cruising grounds have shrinked a little... never the less, we are leaving for the Bahamas for the winter in a few days.
Great luck with your projects, if you wish any more info please do not hesitate to write!
Pierre, Le Caboteur

I have Landfall 38 and I am not sure about boat safety for crossing the ocean. Pierre please contact me what safety improvments did you make.
Wher is the boat ? I am in Annapolis MD.

Thanks

Frank Woronkowicz
fworonkowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 15:30   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: C&C Landfall - Ocean Crossing Ability?

Frank, welcome to CF. You should note that the thread that you were posting in dated from 2010, and it is quite possible that the posters are no longer participating in the forum.

I would suggest that you start up a new thread addressing your specific questions.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 27-08-2021, 09:46   #8

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fworonkowicz View Post

I have Landfall 38 and I am not sure about boat safety for crossing the ocean. Pierre please contact me what safety improvments did you make.
Wher is the boat ? I am in Annapolis MD.

Thanks

Frank Woronkowicz
Sorry for necroposting, but I can actually answer your question. I just bought Parbleu! (the boat in question), and from what I can see, safety modifications are relatively minor like carrying storm sails, adding a track for the trysail and making sure nothing can fly off in the cabin. For example, the fridge cover is hinged, as are the floor access panels to the bilge. Also, the lifelines were replaced with non-coated stainless steel wire, to avoid hiding corrosion.

Other than that, I'm not sure as I haven't seen many other Landfall 38s, but nothing really jumps at me.

Our current plans with it are to spend a winter down in the Bahamas, via the St-Lawrence, Magdalen islands, Nova Scotia and the US East Coast. Nice to see the boat has already done that trip many times!
emilecantin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c, ocean crossing