Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-11-2008, 06:44   #1

First let me say howdy from Texas. I am new to this forum so forgive me if this post has been discussed to death. I am getting back into sailing and cruising and have boat fever bad...i really like the new C&C made by Tartan, but have read one bad review on Sailnet. What's the scuttlebut? thanks

markschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Have you seen this doc.
Looks pretty impressive to me.

James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 13:51   #3

There appears to be a new suitor for the company. Assets only or liabilities as well? Too soon to know. This from todays Star Beacon paper in Connaut Ohio...

"Moments later, council heard from Charles Rowe Jr. of IRG Capital Group of Wadsworth. Rowe said he represents investors poised to acquire Tartan Yacht, which operates the Novis Marine business in Conneaut, and a Rhode Island boat-building business.
The group plans to bring the Rhode Island business and its 100 jobs to a site in Ohio. Conneaut is a strong contender, given the experience of the Novis workers, but a pending foreclosure action brought by the city "clouds the future" of the Novis building, Rowe said.
The investors are asking council's help to "bring some quick resolution (to the matter) so they can move forward with the transaction," Rowe said.
"They can go forward with their business plan if the uncertainties are removed," he said."

To see most of the pending lawsuits and unpaid judgements against Tartan/Novis go here and enter Novis as the company.

"JL" in the case number indicates a judgement lein against the company or defendant has been rendered.

"CV" indicates a civil case and the ones marked "open" are still pending.

In addition to these, there are additional pending cases elsewhere. Yammar/Mack Boring is suing in NJ. And their former lawyers are suing in Cuyahoga county. Several customers also have suits pending. Of course the outcome of these remains uncertain.

Suggest you investigate these for yourself before making a decision.
Cam - I am no longer a member here. Look for me on other forums...same name.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 14:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
It's a shame that a formerly good company like Tartan has come to this. Their C&C's have been quite popular on Lake Ontario with a good fleet building up. I always liked the Tartans but thought they were a bit over-priced. Or, in other words, I couldn't afford one.
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 21:56   #5

I found what I was looking for: this looks bad for a company making >$300K boats:
Tartan and C&C Boats
markschu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: