Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2007, 21:45   #1

BVI - Recommend a Surveyor ?

Did a search and did not see any past notes, so here goes.
Does anyone have a personal recommendation for a Surveyor in Tortola?
Thanks in advance!
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 03:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
SAMS® - The Society Of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Inc.®
Membership Roster for The British Virgin Islands
Goto: The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors (SAMS) - Members in the British Virgin Islands

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 07:19   #3
Eternal Member

I can highly recommend the first one on the list, Bill Bailey. Haven't seen him in a few years, but assume he's still there (I'm not).

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 07:39   #4

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Alot will depend on the type boat you need a survey on. Several good ones on Tortola and while most can do almost any boat, some are very very good on specific types.

Last week I used Robert Ansell of West Indies Marine Surveyors located at Nanny Cay. Really excellent service and knowledgeable and also willing to supply very detailed information above and beyond the survey itself to me as I looked over his shoulder and often even closer as I was provided the opportunity to get eyes and hands on views of "everything". My haul out was arranged at Nanny Cay and the sea trials were from Road Town out to Dead Chest up almost to the Indians and back to Nanny Cay for some tacking and engine trials.

Robert is one of those "skinny" surveyors that can get into any place on any boat... I almost needed a good oil down to get to a few spots and have any hopes of getting out again. The web site is West Indies Marine Surveyors Ltd. and the phone # is 284-494-0772 and if you do Skype westindiessuverors.

Strong recommendations from me... what ever the hell that is worth!!! LOL

ken
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 08:29   #5

Boat: Admiral 38 S/V Windigo
I used West Idiies also, great guys BUT they did miss some very critical items like the main salon door glass broken( I missed it too, was covered with sun film half way up and broken right at the line.) Also if you are using a broker make sure you have him pull the previous selling price on the boat your looking atThey can find out how much the last buyer paid. Not what it was listed for!!!!!

Keith
Wildrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 10:07   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 - RUSH
I also used West Indies surveyors and was pleased with the quality of work performed. The actual surveyor was Geof Williams, a gentleman used frequently by Charter Companies for boats coming out of service so he is familiar with most of the types of boats found in charter in the BVI. I am also familiar with Robert Ansell from when he was with Sunsail and found him extremely good to work with. (Note, I have heard that he has gone back to Sunsail though that is not confirmed. His cell number is 284-496-8657.) Best of luck with the process.
Ehumpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 10:07   #7

I also used West Indies surveyors and was pleased with the quality of work performed. The actual surveyor was Geof Williams, a gentleman used frequently by Charter Companies for boats coming out of service so he is familiar with most of the types of boats found in charter in the BVI. I am also familiar with Robert Ansell from when he was with Sunsail and found him extremely good to work with. (Note, I have heard that he has gone back to Sunsail though that is not confirmed. His cell number is 284-496-8657.) Best of luck with the process.
Old 19-08-2007, 11:47   #8

Matches what I've Got

Thanks to all.............WI & Carib are ones mentioned in the past and you have confirmed their reputation. A few add'l ones are on the SAMS list, so I'll have to compare this small group.

WildRice - You mentioned pulling previous sold price info.........what source would a broker go to for that?

WildRice - humm, missing item....I heard of a story that involved a major failure post survey where some felt it should have been caught which is in the back of my mind.
Old 19-08-2007, 12:32   #9

Forgot to ask

How many of You did a separate Engine or Rigging survey?
Old 19-08-2007, 14:12   #10

Boat: Admiral 38 S/V Windigo
Chuteman

The catamaran co. (Mike Carlson, I belive he got it from yatchworld) pulled one on my boat when I was thinking of going over to them . It had every Admiral sold and the actual selling price. If your using a broker tell too get it for you or find another broker. My broker was Mike Kiely with the moorings in fort lauderdale, Great guy. The surveyer I used was Geof Williams.

Keith
Wildrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 16:37   #11

We specified that the rigging be surveyed as part of the process. Did find that the shroud turnbuckles (all 6) had seized and needed to be replaced. This is something that can be missed on a survey and you may want to check. We also had the injectors pulled and tested for spray patterns, finding one that was not to spec. If possible, personally "pre-survey" the boat thoroughly and be present during the survey.
Old 27-08-2007, 05:53   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
I will be needing a surveyor also and probably will be going with Geof Williams.

I am also looking for someone in Torotla to do an ENGINE SURVEY. I found that the engine is overheating at high RPM's even after replacing the impellor. Before I take it out of charter with The Mooorings, I would like a separate survey of the engine; does anyone know someone who would survey the engine?
Old 27-08-2007, 07:46   #13

You can probably get a good recommendation from the surveyor you choose for the boat. A thought on engine overheating: When our SO 45 came out of charter we had a similar overheating problem. After changing the impeller and coolant and cleaning the heat exchanger and exhaust elbow to no avail, we found that when they painted the bottom of the boat, they painted over the raw water intake screen, closing more than half the opening so that it ran fine at low RPMs but could not get enough water at higher RPMs. A quick cleaning of the intake screen solved the problem.
Old 28-08-2007, 08:05   #14

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
I had checked this out before I had them replace the impellor and it was clear. It maybe the exhaust manifold/elbow
Old 29-08-2007, 12:24   #15

Highly Recommend

Ehumpal: I would highly recommend Bill Bailey @ Caribbean Marine Surveyors @ Nanny Cay in Tortola (but they move around & betwen islands). He was thorough, many years of experience & very patient explaining / answering my questions.

I would agree with Sonny..............ask surveyor for engine rec......but surveyor may also be able to solve too.

Gladly answer any other questions on this recent experience. Their web site is pretty good too.

Tags
British Virgin Islands, surveyor