Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 04:27   #31
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Buying the cruising boat - are we way off base?

as for the 6.5' headroom i suggest you look at an older bristol 40 .. perhaps you can find a deal.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:50   #32

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
So, how much time does he imagine he'll be spending standing up when below on a boat of that size? :-)

One often needs to accept a host of downsides in smaller boats when putting such a priority on headroom... Such boats often have excessive freeboard, very shallow bilges, high coachroofs, and so on - that if nothing else, often come in less than an 'attractive' package...

IMHO, headroom is one of the most overrated features on smaller yachts, and you could be passing up some wonderful boats by ruling them out based on headroom alone... In any event, there's a very simple way to increase headroom: Try actually sailing the boat, put it on a heel, and Voila'... Instant Headroom :-)

I think the legendary Uffa Fox nailed it when it comes to headroom on a smaller boat: "If you want headroom, all you have to do is go up on deck..."

And I'm 6' 5", for what it's worth...

;-)
I'm VinnyVincent, I'm 6'4" and I approve of this message.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:10   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
One often needs to accept a host of downsides in smaller boats when putting such a priority on headroom... Such boats often have excessive freeboard, very shallow bilges, high coachroofs, and so on - that if nothing else, often come in less than an 'attractive' package...

IMHO, headroom is one of the most overrated features on smaller yachts, and you could be passing up some wonderful boats by ruling them out based on headroom alone... In any event, there's a very simple way to increase headroom: Try actually sailing the boat, put it on a heel, and Voila'... Instant Headroom :-)
I rarely disagree with the wisdom of Jon, but I think standing headroom for a cruiser should be a priority. As is often cited, cruisers spend 5-10% of their time moving, and 90-95% of their time just living on the boat. If I had to walk around down below with my neck crooked all the time I would be one unhappy cruiser. More importantly, it would dissuade me from using my boat as my home; cooking, sleeping, eating, just lounging around, would all become a pain-in-the-neck .

It may not be a show-stopper factor, but to me, standing headroom is/was very important. And if (as the OP says) they've found a number of designs that fit their requirements -- including standing headroom -- then it's all good.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:20   #34
Marine Service Provider

There was a nice Bristol 40 at Port Annapolis offered by Crusader Yachts and I think it has the headroom. Of course, as you get older, you'll shrink a bit! But hopefully not too much. Please, tell us again, which specific boats are you considering?
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:28   #35

I think the issue of headroom falls somewhere in between.

How much you have to duck and where count for a lot.

While we agree that 95% of cruising time is spent at anchor or in the marina, we rarely stand for any length of time except in a couple of key areas such as in the galley. Other than to get dressed, we don't stand in the cabins. At the dinnet, it's just to get in and out.

As long as it's just a head bob to get under a low point, I don't find it to be a big issue. If you get into really small boats (or some not so small), you have to bend at the waist or even get on your hands and knees, that starts being a problem if you need to access that area frequently.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:05   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I think the issue of headroom falls somewhere in between.

How much you have to duck and where count for a lot. ...
I'd agree with this nuance. Ducking a bit here and there is certainly no big deal. And I could even prioritize where in the boat I need clear headroom: Galley is a must. A clean path down the main cabin (companion way to V-berth) is pretty important. Standing headroom in the head is very useful for our layout since that is where the indoor bathing happens. Don't need full standing headroom off to the sides, like over the dinnette or settee/sea-berth. Don't need it in the quarter-berth.

The other place I want headroom is in the cockpit. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about getting beaned by the boom while standing in my cockpit. Been there, got beaned ... not fun .
Old 09-07-2015, 07:11   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
I'm VinnyVincent, I'm 6'4" and I approve of this message.
As in Vincent Casano ?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:05   #38
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
As in Vincent Casano ?
If so we met each other back in the 1980s in Phillipines after Kiss and before VV Invasion..Later met again in Charlotte at the Grady Cole Center (?) I remember telling you my name and you asked if I was related to Richy Cunningham.and that you were the guy that provided the music scores for the program..If you are not that Vinny it was your name sake..Incidently one of Aces relatives lives in Cabarrus county NC(5 miles from me) and has artifacts from the early days of Kiss to your days with them(if you are the same Vinny)..
Old 09-07-2015, 08:21   #39

Boat: Newport 28

That was all before my time, but it sounds like those were some good times

My real name is Vinny and I kind of look like VinnyVincent did, hence the nick name.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:42   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
That was all before my time, but it sounds like those were some good times

My real name is Vinny and I kind of look like VinnyVincent did, hence the nick name.
You look more like Curt Russell !!

Tags
buying, cruising