Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 14:03   #1

pirate Buying sails online

My husband and I are in the market for a new main sail for our Stamas 44. We visited several sailmakers at the Annapolis Sailboat Show and received some quotes( some of which are overseas). We would like to have some feedback on buying sails online. What has been your experience and were you satisfied with your sails? Any recommendations?
GrammaC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 11:12   #2

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Buying sails online

Hi,

I have "far east sails" that were with the boat when purchased, fairly new made in 2009. The Genoa is fine as far as material wear goes however the stitching is already deteriating, almost like it was made with cotton rather then nylon or Nomex type thread that would seem to be a better type thread in my opinion, not really sure what is the right product. Also, the foot edge is really wearing as well, probably should be extra rub material sewn along these prone areas?? The main is holding up very good, still looking very new and crisp, stitching is not rotting however I have a sail cover and use it always. Don't know what the prices were so they could be what you paid for as the old saying goes. Have to seek out a sail loft this winter to reinforce before they become too far gone anyway
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 11:16   #3

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammaC9 View Post
My husband and I are in the market for a new main sail for our Stamas 44. We visited several sailmakers at the Annapolis Sailboat Show and received some quotes( some of which are overseas). We would like to have some feedback on buying sails online. What has been your experience and were you satisfied with your sails? Any recommendations?
I just bought a new 135% genoa for my C34 from National Sail Supply. Delivery time was as promised and I'm very happy with it so far.
Old 16-10-2013, 11:32   #4

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

I priced out a new main last year from about 12 regional/national companies. Six of them quoted the same sail, made by the China Sail Factory (CSF). I did extensive resaearch and concluded that CFS is a very qualified sail maker, serving only other sail makers. It was formed by an englishman who identified that all sails have 3 components: material, labor and specs. By buying huge amounts of material he gets favorable pricing. China's labor is cheap. And, he leaves the specs to the sailmaker that you choose. I chose Island Planet Sails in Oregon (I'm in MI), in part, because they were the only sailmaker that disclosed that their recommended sail was to be made at CSF (others went out of their way to disguise that fact) and also because Dave was very knowledgeable. I recommend them highly. Pricing is competitive for a quality sail.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 11:43   #5

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

I bought a new mainsail at Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies by online order two years ago. Not sure if it was made there or overseas but it was exactly what I ordered and still looks new. The only thing that I would change is, I would of made sure of when I ordered that I specified a grommet at luff reef points instead of rings on sewn tape. (The leach has grommets) But since I didn't ask for this I can't complain.
Old 16-10-2013, 12:00   #6

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Rolly tasker sails,quality and price no worries.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 18:16   #7

Rolly tasker is one of our main contenders, they asked the most questions and their price was in the middle. We also liked Terry, he seemed to know the business and would be easy to work with and they are in Annapolis, 2 1/2 hours from our home.
GrammaC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 18:19   #8

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Go local.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 18:29   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I always buy my sails used from Minneys in SD, we have gotten great sails that were almost new, clean and a heck of a lot less then new ! some of the raceing folks trade there factory sails in when they buy there raceing sails, and with little or no work we get great sails, for a lot less money, and they treat ya right!! just our 2 cents

Tags
buying, sail, sails