Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2015, 13:41   #16

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Re: Buying first sailboat, Hunter, Beneteau, Catalina, Bavaria

It is nice to see you have done some homework already.
I bought a 3 cabin 1 head Bavaria 37 and find it ideal for my self and the occasional guest(s).
The 3rd cabin gets used more often as a storage locker.

If I change anything I would like a second head, but then I would probably need a larger boat. I notice that boats with more than 1 head tend to use the second head more often as a wet locker.
Old 09-06-2015, 13:46   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You are a brave man, sir, to wish to maintain 3 heads!

Ann
Old 09-06-2015, 13:49   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input. I have sailed on all four, plus a few others, (the reason for the down select) chartered a Beneteau, and probably have the most time on a smaller Catalina (36 foot). The reason for wanting three cabins is children and grandchildren. Three heads nice but not a deal breaker. Only been on a Hunter and Bravaia twice for a couple days.

I agree a 40 plus might be a little big for a first sailboat, but grew up on a large lake as my brother owned a marina back then so lots of long ago handling smaller boats, 18 to 30 foot range, both power and sail, so believe I would be comfortable on a 40 to 45 footer.

Crew may be an issue, but wife has agreed to take the competent crew training and son and son in law have both sailed some. Plus some friends with good experience. Will also probably be a user of crew wanted forum as well as sail as much as possible even if I need to volunteer more myself. Trying to hook up with a couple as a crew member now.

As for sailing plans, as I stated in the OP, near shore, minor off shore, US East coast and Caribbean. Goal will be to spend more time sailing and less at the marina.

I think that answered most questions. Again thanks for your input and keep it coming.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 14:17   #19

Some boats will dictate what you end up getting.

For example, take the Catalina 42, in your range. They made a number of different layouts down below, but for now, let's forget about the walk around forward V berth vs. the pullman. Just concentrate on the saloon and galley.

If you get the double aft cabin model, you are stuck with the linear (Euro?) galley. I agree with an earlier post that this layout sucks, for among others the reason he gave. If you do a careful comparison of the two layouts (available at Catalina's website in the archived brochures tab), you see that the port aft galley is far superior for three main reasons: it makes the saloon area much larger, and there is a ton more storage space, and there is much better access to the engine.

However, that does away with any choice of getting the two aft cabins.

There was a very useful thread here earlier this week about "How often do people really come to visit?" You might want to look that up before you pull the trigger on more berths/cabins, since more cabins makes each one smaller.

Good luck, happy hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 15:46   #20

Boat: Hunter 460, 46'

We always chartered Beneteau's in Greece and the BVI. Loved them. But we bought a 2002 Hunter 460 and we really love the layout and the room below. Easy to sail with 2 people which is optimal for the cruising liffe.
atexasex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 18:36   #21

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

We have the Catalina 42 MkII 3 cabin pullman and I love this layout!! The galley is large enough and spread out enough that I can be finishing something on the stove while the kids are getting things out of the cabinet, fridge and washing something at the sink at the same time. We bought the boat when I was expecting my youngest who is now 12 and have cruised with all 4 kids every year until last year when the two oldest (now 23 and 25) had to stay home part of the cruise to work. There is plenty of space for everyone and the two heads are a must even though I laughed when we first got the boat thinking it was redundant! What was I thinking? LOL

I can't speak about the other boats but I can safely say that the C42 is a great family boat, sails beautifully (hubby is out right now sailing by himself) and noting that they made over 1000 of them, you have a lot of advice and help from other C42 owners. Heck, in our yacht club, we just got our 9th C42!! Yep - another family bought one of the best family boats out there!

I DO wish we could have a centerline berth for us but I don't want to give up our spacious master head and shower. Oh well, hubby can climb for a few more years until we go to a trawler! LOL
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:47   #22

Boat: Scout 30

I'd be very careful buying a used boat with a bolted on fin keel. Soft groundings, as are common in Florida, can cause significant damage that is difficult to repair. I'd also recommend making shoal draft one of your parameters. They's a lot of skinny water in these here parts.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:50   #23

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I'd be very careful buying a used boat with a bolted on fin keel. Soft groundings, as are common in Florida, can cause significant damage that is difficult to repair. I'd also recommend making shoal draft one of your parameters. They's a lot of skinny water in these here parts.
It was the deep fin keel that gave us a screaming deal on our Catalina 42. It was near Tampa and has a 6'8" keel - way too much for Florida but just fine up here in Long Island Sound! We could sell the boat now 12 years later for what we paid for it.

But yeah, in Florida, I'd definitely go for a shallower draft.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:12   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Thanks Scout 30. So which of these is the better choice for a shallow draft? Most seem to be around 6 feet. Saw one at 5.5. Is there a shallow draft manufacturer that would be a better choice? My intent is more island sailing, but because of distance will probably do a fair amount along Florida East coast and Keys. My other issue seems to be Marina access with a 60 foot plus mast height as most Marinas are along the inter-coastal. Coco beach area has a few at Port Canaveral that have better ocean access. Don't want to have to spend half a day motoring to get to open water.

Another question that has come up since I have been looking at boat ads. At what hours does the engine need over haul assuming it was properly maintained? I have seen engine hours from a couple hundred to over 6000. What is the cost to over haul or replace a 50 to 70 hp diesel engine? Most seem to have Yanmar engines, Bavaria usually Volvo.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:43   #25

Boat: Scout 30

No one can tell you what the best boat for you is. I'm sure you have your reasons for limiting your choices to these 4 builders. Personally, instead of limiting myself to these builders, I'd look for the best quality boat in the best condition that met my predetermined requirements. My requirements would be determined by being realistic about how the boat was going to be used, something that might be hard to do without experience. I'd take my time, do a ton of research & look at a whole lot of boats. We live on the west coast of Florida & love gunkholing so shoal draft is important to us but it might not be for you. I'm a fan of getting the smallest boat we can live with & the best quality & condition we can afford. Because there are only 2 of us we're happy with boats around 30'. Easier to handle & less to maintain.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 10:48   #26

Boat: Lots of boats.

Doesn't sound like saving money is all that critical, but if I was buying a boat, of any size, I would look on eBay first. People selling on eBay generally need money quickly and are willing to sell at a very deep discount even though their boat may loaded with all the bells and whistles. 40 footers in great shape can be had for $50K or less. $10K will buy a well kept, nicely equipped boat up to 30 feet. There is a 40 foot Hunter in my home marina in MD that is currently listed on eBay and its a beauty. If you haven't noticed, boating has been in decline over the last 20 years and people are practically giving boats away to get out from under them. Sure, there are lots of boats listed for lots of money. But I've also noticed that some of them have been listed for years. The list price and the actual selling price are often very different. Take your time and shop around.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2015, 11:09   #27

Thanks hsi88. That is a great idea. I have been searching all the normal online sites, have been to look at several and have revised what I want after lots of study, feedback on here and talking to other sellers and brokers.

I have lowered my objective by a few feet. Now looking at 35 to 40 footers. Have expanded to a few other brands, really like the furling mainsail for ease of sailing with less crew. Now figure I can get by with two cabins, would still like two heads, and will pay extra for a well equipped boat in great condition. Also lowered the budget to under 80K if possible, that way I can cruise more.

If you know it, PM me the contact information for the boat in MD as that is very easy for me to go see it.

Thanks again.
Old 16-06-2015, 07:01   #28

Could not send a PM because I'm a new member. But here is the info.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271898871470

There are already 32 bids on this boat. No telling how far it will go. They have not hit the reserve price yet. Not sure what the guy's reserve price is. Contact the guy through eBay messaging if you want to see the boat. There are 5 more days on the auction.

Unfortunately, there is a bidder with no eBay experience who is running up the price. I buy motorcycles and boats on eBay and use an auction sniper. It puts in one bid, when there is only 5 seconds left to the auction. If the price is too high, the bid becomes null. If my bid is highest, NOBODY can get a bid in after mine! Saves me lots of money. Without an auction sniper, you have to wait until the last few seconds and place your bid right before the end of the auction. Bid too early and you get into a bidding war and the price zooms up. Something to know if you are not used to bidding on eBay.

Good luck. And search around. Boats come up often on eBay. Look at them in person if you can. Don't bid on boats with few pictures. There is usually a reason there are not many pictures!

Bob
Old 10-07-2015, 14:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Could not send a PM because I'm a new member. But here is the info.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271898871470

There are already 32 bids on this boat. No telling how far it will go. They have not hit the reserve price yet. Not sure what the guy's reserve price is. Contact the guy through eBay messaging if you want to see the boat. There are 5 more days on the auction.

Unfortunately, there is a bidder with no eBay experience who is running up the price. I buy motorcycles and boats on eBay and use an auction sniper. It puts in one bid, when there is only 5 seconds left to the auction. If the price is too high, the bid becomes null. If my bid is highest, NOBODY can get a bid in after mine! Saves me lots of money. Without an auction sniper, you have to wait until the last few seconds and place your bid right before the end of the auction. Bid too early and you get into a bidding war and the price zooms up. Something to know if you are not used to bidding on eBay.

Good luck. And search around. Boats come up often on eBay. Look at them in person if you can. Don't bid on boats with few pictures. There is usually a reason there are not many pictures!

Bob
Hi Bob,
I know this thread is a few weeks old..

Do you happen to know if this boat sold...reserve wasn't met.

Sarah
Hawk3y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 15:31   #30

Hi Sarah, I think if you do a search for 40 foot Hunter in Pasadena MD, you will see what I think is the same boat. Very nice. Priced at $60K. I'm guessing they will take less. I also saw this listing for what might be the same exact boat. Hard to tell. For $45K

1985 Hunter 40 sailboat for sale in Maryland

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, buying, catalina, hunter, sail, sailboat