Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2005, 14:27   #1

Boat: currently "on the beach"
buying and owning boats long distance

I have been checking into the idea of buying a boat in the Caribe rather than buying here (NE) and driving the ditch. I have done chunks of the ICW and honestly, I could skip it. Recently, someone was telling me of the opportunities to purchase 45' boats from the charter business. Many of the private (captained - owner operated) charter folks are trading to cats and I am told that a quality, continually maintained boat set up for self sufficiency could be a smarter buy. From what I see, the prices are good and listings are frequent.
I have learned there are storage and marina services available (tortola was the one I checked out) that routinely provide these services to the seasonal sailors that leave their boats down in the islands. Anyone had experience in this approach to purchase and ownership ?
Capt. Lar
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 04:57   #2

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Charter boats, on the surface, appear to be a good deal until you consider that the boat has had the same amount of use in five years that you would give it in twenty or more years. It is working every week and being driven by people with the "it isn't mine" attitude. While they don't intentionally damage the boat, they don't treat it as their own long time investment.
Secondly, the charter fleet operates in the harshest environment imaginable. Constant sun, frisky winds, and high salt content add up to a boat that needs a great deal of tender loving care when taken off charter and put into the hands of a new owner. Do you think that the charter company is going to replace the blown out sails, install new rigging, replace the engine in a couple of years (it is probably more than 50% used up), or do any of the other major upgrades that the boat will need.

The answer is a resounding NO!!!

That is the reason for such a low price for USED charter boats.

Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 06:25   #3

Thanks for the view. Remember I am not talking about Moorings or Sunsail. No bareboats. These boats are already privately owned. Some are independant charter captains and some are boats that someone did the "island thing" in for a few years, scratched the itch, and want to sell there. As I say, the appeal is they are loaded with watermakers, wind and solar, extra tankage and all the other gear and goodies that we would add to a northern boat. Used gear and electronics does not add much to a sales price, but if you have to buy it new or chase it used, it will take time and money
Another plus is the ability to avoid sales tax and excise tax. Here in Massachusetts - both are nasty - sales tax is 5% and excise goes on for ever.
Old 26-03-2005, 16:11   #4

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
On your last line, you are preaching to the choir.

Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 19:56   #5

Boat: fp athena 38 ..10 10
ditto the pit falls of buying a charter boat. any boat that is ten years old needs a complete out fitting,rigging sails electronics liferaft? epirb engines. still you can make a sweet deal.do the upgrade and come out ahead. i did on my boat. i live in chicago and keep my boat in the bahamas its cheap to fly there so i can go every month or so. i also bought it there, no taxes . great sailing and diveing jt
Old 28-03-2005, 05:17   #6

John - where in the bahamas did you decide to keep boat ? What sort of services do they provide ?Capt. Lar
Old 28-03-2005, 06:04   #7

lar check your pm jt
Old 28-03-2005, 06:22   #8

Ikeep her in lukya,on grand bahama island at a private dock 200$ a month. there is room for more. there are also several marinas arround and miles of canals, good hurricane holes to. if you want email me and we can talk. i am going down on the 30th for 10 days. jt
Old 28-03-2005, 13:14   #9

what are the politics, crime and attitudes like on GB these days. I flyfish those waters but usually remote - not much contact with authorities. capt. lar
Old 28-03-2005, 20:12   #10

ive been therefor almost 2 yrs and have never locked my dink ,never have heard if any thevin ( iam sure there is some) ,never been hassled by anyone, most people ive met have been verry helpful. ineeded to borrow some scuba gear and lift bags a friend refered me to another friend he loant me the gear ,told me where it was over the phone and i never met him until i returned it lukya is a privatly owned city. its income is from tourism so they treat people well and dont stand for any crime. anyway call me for more info. jt
Old 29-03-2005, 07:15   #11

John - thanks for the info. Nice to know there are still good deals. Have a great trip. Capt. Lar