Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-08-2009, 10:35   #16

Boat: sold swan new cat under construction / Canados 50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
james if you like give me a call as i spend a vast amount of time in Greece and my yacht is currently on the hard in alimos marina and being there i do see a lot of charter yachts that are for sale there are some pro,s and con's if you where to buy one in the med and if you where to buy one from the med i would only deal with uk brokers of which there is a few out there who you could trust

Old 20-08-2009, 10:47   #17

I thought you might respond to the thread.

Hope the cruise is going well.

Cheers,

Joli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Oh puleeze! A Moorings or Sunsail boat with 9,000 hours? Get a grip and do some research. They max out at about 4,500 hours which, as you will know from you Yanmar research, is about 1/4 of their 20,000 hour life.

Vasco is correct, the configuration for cruising is better with the 2 cabin versions with the U galley.

We were lucky that ours is a 2 cabin version. It does add a LOT of storage space which you stuff full of junk quickly.

Its better in my humblest opinion to have a boat with out some idiots ideas of cruising equipment. Some people are just nuts and buy the most useless but expensive crap for their boats and then expect you to pay a premium for it!

Our Ex-Sunsail Beneteau 393 was bought last April and we have just ticked up 16,000 NM's only breaking one block and 2 split pins over the Pacific.

As for only built for a safe harbour..... have the people who say that ever been on one? Have you sailed the Caribbean? The charter companies would be crazy to have origami boats there!

A Swan 57 pitch poled south of Cape Horn and no one screams Nautor is trying to murder people. So why should you compare it with a 38 footer pitchpoled on the continental incline off the UK? Everyone knows thats a crook spot to be. They had weather advice while in a port in Spain and were stupid to head to sea in a worsoning gale into a known difficult spot. But, it can't be compared to a 'normal' tropical downwind circumnavigation.

Finally, the marine surveyors in the Carib have all inspected a million Beneteaus so know exactly what to look for. If its been on the rock they will know and be able to show you.

ONe major caveat: Do NOT buy off the internet. Them's piccies lie like an ex-wife. See the boat in person.

Mark

Old 20-08-2009, 17:05   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sec906 View Post
it's worth noting on page 8 of the report that "...the yacht, still afloat and upright, was also located."

Yes, another in the long list of don't leave the bloody boat till its well under the waves.
Someone mentioned in a thread about having emergency buoyancy below.... I reckon that a weather balloon in the fore cabin and one in the aft cabin with life jacket type inflators would be an idea. I wonder how practical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I thought you might respond to the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post

Hope the cruise is going well.

Cheers,

Joli

Cruise is great. Don't come to Indonesia unless really intrepid. Wait for 5+ years till they get their act together. LOL Its a shambles.
The internet is too slow/bad to update photos Oh woe!
Nicolle was on the front page of a local newspaper! Just being herself and blitzing the local population. God, can't take her anywhere in anonymity

So we are having great fun

Off to see Dan in Singapore in a coupla weeks

For Reality Check: Love those 361's! Very good boats

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 18:29   #19

Glad to see that you guys are safe and sound in Indo. Can't wait to see the updated pics, if it does happen. Keep cruising and keep safe and keep us posted!!
Old 20-08-2009, 23:08   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Cruise is great. Don't come to Indonesia unless really intrepid. Wait for 5+ years till they get their act together. LOL Its a shambles.
Don't anyone hold their breath...

You can go to Malaysia for free. Langkawi, Pinang and East Malaysia are all cool.

Indonesia wants a cruising book (the "green book") a sailing permit and $100 dollar visitor visas (no matter how you arrive). There are horror stories about requesting cash bonds for the value of the boat - the beauty is you bond at the east end and depart at the west end in another feifdom and the west end has no clue about your bond. "You gotta go back and get it from them mate." - Only to find out that at the national level bonding is not required. Or is depending on the day of the week.

I love Indonesians. I love the beauty of the country but have decided the bureaucracy of visiting them is too stressful for me. I go to easier places.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 23:24   #21

Boat: Beneteau 393
We own an ex-charter Bene, and couldn't be happier. It passed her survey and engine survey (fluid analysis, etc) with A+'s all around...we've had no major issues to date other than our Webasto heater. I'm still having trouble getting that up and running, but that isn't a charter issue.

Tags
beneteau

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: