Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 10:12   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Buying a boat in Italy - Registration/Flag Fees etc

Hi guys n gals, it's been awhile, but I am finally ready to get back to sea. I have found a boat in Italy, and the price includes tax, but I must pay €1500 for the tax to register the change in ownership.
Is this amount normal, and is there anyway around it?
The next issue is that in order to maintain Italian flag registration (which expires in 2018) I need to undergo a technical inspection. What does this involve? What are the costs? Would I be better off registering her elsewhere?
Yes, I could google much of this, and have, but I would really appreciate some feedback from anyone with first-hand experience.
Cheers!
Old 20-01-2016, 10:16   #2

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Buying a boat in Italy - Registration/Flag Fees etc

Have you read this thread from earlier this month? http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ly-158814.html

And slightly older: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ly-146359.html
Old 20-01-2016, 10:41   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Very useful, thanks. Although I would still like to know if the amount I have been quoted (€1500) is correct for a 11.8m 40hp sailing vessel (private), as it has been some time since that thread.
And if anything else has changed that I should be aware of.
Also, can I get some recommendations of a good place in Europe to register her once the Italian registration runs out? I heard Malta was good.
Old 20-01-2016, 10:54   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post
the price includes tax, but I must pay €1500 for the tax to register the change in ownership.
I'm in the Netherlands, and my boat isn't registered so no idea.
I've checked the costs for registration here - it will cost me about €650. But again, nothing to do with Italy.
Any broker in Italy should be able to give you the info you need, tho- I'd just email one or two

As to 'tax paid': see this post and make sure the paperwork is in order.
Old 21-01-2016, 08:43   #5

Hi

Nautica On Line - Passaggio di propriet? delle unit? da diporto

at the end of the page there are fees..according to me 404 euro plus all the 15-20 euro ecc smal taxes to be paid to legalize the paper..

Thats said get it belgian flagged.

You must have ICC or italian sailboat licence to drive it inside italian water (with belgian no problem all around the world)

Survey, by law, houl out, haul in, they check EVERYTHING but sometimes the surveyor in 30 minutes has done (meaning touch the seacock is stiff ok) 500 euro + boatyard.

Be sure to have personal radio licence for VHF (about 40 euro, only pay exam free)

Boat vhf homologation (about 60 euro)

Be sure that there are the tables of compass compensation (there must be on board for all the boat longer than 10 meters) always keep the recives of the technic on board (coast guard sometimes look for it, otherwise gps and compass and you could cheat ) (if not present is 350 euro for the technican)

All the safety equipment must not be expired, ecc (very big mafia about it, like a liferaft check after 3 years is 600 euro, a new one is 1200...) ouside italy is 350 euro...like fire extinguisher must be all RINA homologated (ordinary 20 euro extinguisher that become 100, but almost all the boat equipment sell the ordinary one and add a decals to it so its ok for law and you spend 25...5 for the decals LOL)...

Insourance in theory lot more expensive (if i'm not wrong there is a law, FOR SURE about car, but i can'f find info about boat, that if the good is italian it must have italian insourance, to avoid italian car-boat with romenian-bulgaria insurance far way cheaper)

Proof of vat payed (very common check by finance police)

Is it enought?

So get it belgian and enjoy your boat and stay away from italian coast (and as far as i know only croatian ask for boating licence to everybody, in croatia you can pay and get a very stupid exam in a day, but is valid only in croatia)

Stef
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 08:57   #6

Boat: Endurance 35,1981

HI Captain Jaz

Where is your boat in Italy ?

I've just recently purchased a Endurance 35 Ketch (project) just curious were you get your supplies in Italy i.e standing rigging, all that good stuff !!!!

If you know Italy I'm also looking to take the boat out of the water to do some work on it for a few months, currently the boat is moored in Porto Turistico Riva di Traiano, Civitavecchia they will not allow projects to be conducted in there Marina

I've been told to go south of the Fiumicino Airport as there is some yards along the river

Just need to do some teak work and demast her for a few months.

Thanks
Madrugada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 09:59   #7

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrugada View Post
HI Captain Jaz

Where is your boat in Italy ?

I've just recently purchased a Endurance 35 Ketch (project) just curious were you get your supplies in Italy i.e standing rigging, all that good stuff !!!!

If you know Italy I'm also looking to take the boat out of the water to do some work on it for a few months, currently the boat is moored in Porto Turistico Riva di Traiano, Civitavecchia they will not allow projects to be conducted in there Marina

I've been told to go south of the Fiumicino Airport as there is some yards along the river

Just need to do some teak work and demast her for a few months.

Thanks
I have the boat there, I mean in Fumicino. Many shipyards there allow you to work on the boat, some even can make a contract with you to let you use materials and tools.

Also if at one point you need an extra help they will give it to you (paid help of course).

Basically you have the shipyards on the two small rivers that surround Isola Sacra. Use the google earth and you will find them.

Lot's of suppliers around Fumicino.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 10:14   #8

Hi Polux,

This is great news for me,

I'd like to get the boat in there as soon as possible, do you know what the price range would be I'd be looking for a hard stand for a year under a canopy with water and electricity, I've a lot of work to do.

The idear that I could negotiate a contract would be great for tools as well would be brilliant. Can you recommend a spot to me, or do you have any numbers I could ring ? Also do they allow you to stay with the boat i.e. Sleep on it during the project ?

Plus it would be good if they could speak English

Thanks
Old 21-01-2016, 10:33   #9

Quote:
Hi Polux,

This is great news for me,

I'd like to get the boat in there as soon as possible, do you know what the price range would be I'd be looking for a hard stand for a year under a canopy with water and electricity, I've a lot of work to do.

The idear that I could negotiate a contract would be great for tools as well would be brilliant. Can you recommend a spot to me, or do you have any numbers I could ring ? Also do they allow you to stay with the boat i.e. Sleep on it during the project ?

Plus it would be good if they could speak English

Thanks
Yes for all, they even have a W.C. and shower you can use except in what regards a canopy. That I never saw. Sometimes I see a boat inside a warehouse. They rent the space inside sometimes but I believe that should be way more expensive (only space for a boat) and would not make sense for one person working alone.

I have a friend that works on that shipyard that can help you and even if you will not find what you want with them (canopy) probably he will tell you if you will be able to find it in any other place around.

Luca Marziale : +39 3482337254 He speaks good English. Tell him that Paulo has given you his number.
Old 21-01-2016, 12:10   #10

Hi Polux,

Thank you very much for this, this forum is great for communication and information gathering.

I'll give him a ring tomorrow and see how we go, hopeful I might catch your boat in the future.

Thanks.
Old 29-01-2016, 13:24   #11

Hi Polux,

Just to catch up with or last chat, I spoke to Luca speaks very good English he has sent me an initial quote which seems reasonable enough,

I don't want to give the figures over the forum, or mention the company.

Can you tell me were your boat is just want to see the yard on google earth how near it is to the entrance of the north river and how many bridges I have to go under as I've tried to locate it on google earth but all I see are small yards unless it has been developed and not showing on the old Google maps

Thanks
Old 29-01-2016, 16:25   #12

Sail out of Italy and register in Gibralter.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 07:18   #13

Yes and be very carefull for VAT, temporary import, ecc...no joke with italian finance police, they can get your boat in a second and needed years of lawyers to have it back, even if you are right...

P.s. They especially look for paradise flagged boat...they know about it and check carefully everything...get belgian flagged...
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:36   #14

Quote:
Hi Polux,

Just to catch up with or last chat, I spoke to Luca speaks very good English he has sent me an initial quote which seems reasonable enough,

I don't want to give the figures over the forum, or mention the company.

Can you tell me were your boat is just want to see the yard on google earth how near it is to the entrance of the north river and how many bridges I have to go under as I've tried to locate it on google earth but all I see are small yards unless it has been developed and not showing on the old Google maps

Thanks
Hi,
The bridges are two but it is like if they were just one since thy open at the same time and are not far apart. When coming from the sea the first is a small pedestrian one the second one is a big bridge that goes up, I mean all of it. The Max weight is around 20m.

I am sure you can pass without problem since my mast is bigger than yours and even a Comet 45, that has even a bigger mast than mine can pass there (an Amel Super Maramu too).

As I said there are one day on the week where the bridge does not open on summer, two on winter, if they did not change the time table:
Fiumicino orari invernali di apertura del ponte 2 giugno

There is not really a problem, I normally enter in the morning and pass the previous night on a not finished marina, with good sand bottom, some 3 miles South. If the wind is just from the wrong size (never happened) I can anchor under the South protection of the Fiumicino peer (sand bottom).

I think that is my boat (marked on the picture) but they own all the space on that bank of the river (I mean the space on the photo) and they have a system that allows them to move the boats. They are resting on steel frames and they have a tractor that can pick the frames and the boats and move them around. They had moved my boat to nearer the shipyard when I arrived for giving me a better access to tools and to be nearer the WC.

There is a permanent guard and on the years I have been there was no problems with theft.
On this picture you can see the two bridges:

and on this one the general location:
Old 01-02-2016, 11:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano_ita View Post
Hi

Nautica On Line - Passaggio di propriet? delle unit? da diporto

at the end of the page there are fees..according to me 404 euro plus all the 15-20 euro ecc smal taxes to be paid to legalize the paper..

Thats said get it belgian flagged.

You must have ICC or italian sailboat licence to drive it inside italian water (with belgian no problem all around the world)

Survey, by law, houl out, haul in, they check EVERYTHING but sometimes the surveyor in 30 minutes has done (meaning touch the seacock is stiff ok) 500 euro + boatyard.

Be sure to have personal radio licence for VHF (about 40 euro, only pay exam free)

Boat vhf homologation (about 60 euro)

Be sure that there are the tables of compass compensation (there must be on board for all the boat longer than 10 meters) always keep the recives of the technic on board (coast guard sometimes look for it, otherwise gps and compass and you could cheat ) (if not present is 350 euro for the technican)

All the safety equipment must not be expired, ecc (very big mafia about it, like a liferaft check after 3 years is 600 euro, a new one is 1200...) ouside italy is 350 euro...like fire extinguisher must be all RINA homologated (ordinary 20 euro extinguisher that become 100, but almost all the boat equipment sell the ordinary one and add a decals to it so its ok for law and you spend 25...5 for the decals LOL)...

Insourance in theory lot more expensive (if i'm not wrong there is a law, FOR SURE about car, but i can'f find info about boat, that if the good is italian it must have italian insourance, to avoid italian car-boat with romenian-bulgaria insurance far way cheaper)

Proof of vat payed (very common check by finance police)

Is it enought?

So get it belgian and enjoy your boat and stay away from italian coast (and as far as i know only croatian ask for boating licence to everybody, in croatia you can pay and get a very stupid exam in a day, but is valid only in croatia)

Stef
Wow...and to think I get annoyed by all the government fees, taxes and red tape here in the US. Good grief...
Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, fees, Italy, registration