Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 12:30   #1

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Build Quality?

Regarding mid-1980s, 28-30', is the build quality more or less the same for Catalina, Ericson, Newport, and Pearson or is one inherrently better (or worse) than the other three?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Build quality?

Based on some models and limited experience in my opinion at least the Catalina, Ericson and Pearson would all be roughly similar in quality. Not really familiar with quality of the Newport.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Ericson was definitely a cut above the rest, closely followed by Newport, and then Pearson and Catalina.

Pacific Seacraft built Ericsons are the best by far but that didn't occur until the 90s, maybe late 90s, early 2000s.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 13:20   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

I agree with David on the Ericsons. Spend time on Ericson, Pearson, and owned a Catalina. Pearson is several notches above Catalina, but not quite an Ericson in my opinion/experience.

Can't help on the Newport.
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 14:06   #5
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

When you go to buy a mid 80s boat it doesn't matter what it started life out as, all that matters is what condition it is NOW!
Old 09-04-2013, 14:32   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

You have to watch out a bit when the term"quality" is used, as it covers a lot of territory. Some boats are structurally quite sound, but don't have the level of fit and finish of other boats. I think Don is right--condition will count for a lot at this point.
Old 09-04-2013, 14:40   #7

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I have seen some early 80's Catalinas that were in much better shape than some Ericsons as far as rigging and engines. So I have to agree with DON L.... It doesn't matter what a 30 year old boat started out as... It matters what shape it is now.

Many people buy older boats and upgrade them.. Some people don't. New engines, rigging, sails and electronics would be the deciding factors.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 14:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
When you go to buy a mid 80s boat it doesn't matter what it started life out as, all that matters is what condition it is NOW!
I know what you mean but I assume, all things being equal, that after 30 years on the water a better built boat would likely have fewer significant structural problems and better performance over the next 10 years than one of lesser quality. Am I wrong?
Old 09-04-2013, 15:03   #9
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
I know what you mean but I assume, all things being equal, that after 30 years on the water a better built boat would likely have fewer significant structural problems and better performance over the next 10 years than one of lesser quality. Am I wrong?
I feel you are wrong; kind of. If the boat started off better AND was taken care of it is probably in better condition NOW. But is the end all that matters is what condition the boat is NOW. In other words if a boat started out as "better" quality, but now it in worst condition that the others, was it really better to start with?

And to make it worst sometimes people what more $ for their beat up boat because of a name while you could be in a boat in better condition for less because of a "name".

I guess in the end it is whether you what a boat or just a status symbol.
Old 09-04-2013, 15:20   #10

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I feel you are wrong; kind of. If the boat started off better AND was taken care of it is probably in better condition NOW. But is the end all that matters is what condition the boat is NOW. In other words if a boat started out as "better" quality, but now it in worst condition that the others, was it really better to start with?

And to make it worst sometimes people what more $ for their beat up boat because of a name while you could be in a boat in better condition for less because of a "name".

I guess in the end it is whether you what a boat or just a status symbol.

I guess the OP mean that, a better quality boat last longer and be probably in better condition than a low quality boat after some years of service if both boats start their life service at the same time and with almost same care, and i believe is a fact.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:26   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Here's an example of what Don is talking about. There was a neat looking Alan Pape steel cutter hauled out in a boatyard I was at, and it just sat and sat for years, until one day I decided to take a look at it. Originally that boat was a gorgeous, go anywhere bluewater boat, and still looked pretty good on the outside. The minute I pushed the hatch back I knew it was trouble. The boat stank, the beautiful woodwork was streaked where lots of leaks had let water in. Behind that wood was rust, lots of it. Most of the interior was ruined or in bad shape. A first class boat at one time that had been let go.
Old 09-04-2013, 15:31   #12
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
, a better quality boat last longer and be probably in better condition than a low quality boat after some years of service if both boats start their life service at the same time and with almost same care.
I don't disagree in general.

But what you are still saying is that all that really matters is the condition of the boat NOW!!!

Heck the "lower" quality boat at the start may have had excellent care and now for a 80s boat boat is by far the better boat!
Old 09-04-2013, 15:41   #13

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Yes counting from NOW!!!! a 80s boat can be a wreck and a brand new bavaria can be a good boat in comparison,, the other way to, a 80s lovely cared boat can be a good boat when a 5 year old bavaria can be junk, is a matter of quality and care i think.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 15:45   #14
Marine Service Provider

I would always recommend taking a close look at the structural integrity of any boat, car, motor home, airplane, or woman over the age of 30...
Old 09-04-2013, 16:03   #15

Many thanks to all who have responded. I knew this would not be an easy question to get an answer to.

I really am more interested in structural integrity than interior finish.

Maybe if I rephrase the question: Assuming 30 years in a slip and coastal cruising in So. California including approximately 12000 hours of sailing with average maintenance, which manufacturer, Catalina, Ericson, Newport, or Pearson would be least likely to manifest:

Hull Blisters
Subdeck delamination around chain plates and other rigging
Leaking hull-to-deck joints
Leaking portals
Excess wear or damage to steering and rudder chains/bearings
Poor quality electrical wiring and connections
Poor plumbing
Delaminating interior and loose fixtures
etc., etc., etc.

or are these 4 boats essentially the same build quality?