Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 08:15   #1

Boat: Seidelmann 299
budget number on a survey

being a newby i am asking yall to forgive my questions. How much does a survey cost on say a 35' c and c?
fenceguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:07   #2
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenceguy2
being a newby i am asking yall to forgive my questions. How much does a survey cost on say a 35' c and c?
$500-$1000 - probably $800.

It depends somewhat on the detail you ask for, etc...

If you budget $1000, that's a number you'll never exceed.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:58   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just spent $875 for a survey on a 35' catamaran ($25/foot), plus $45/lab test on the oil in each engine and each saildrive (so $180 total), and $280 for the haulout so the surveyor could inspect the boat below the waterline. The $280, by the way, was for up to one hour in the slings. If he needed more time than that (he didn't), the price would have gone up. Additionally, he had a standard $75 travel charge that he waived for me (long story).

This was in Ft. Lauderdale, and I've paid as much as $1500 for the same thing in New York (Brooklyn); $1000 for the survey and sea trial of a 38' catamaran, plus $500 for the haulout, and, after the fact, the surveyor asked for an additional $200 because he felt it was a "bigger job" than he had originally figured. Did I give it to him? Don't be absurd!

Both times I received an excellent, thorough survey, and considered the cost a minor thing compared to the total prices of the two vessels. Any competent surveyor should be able to come up with at least a few things that are wrong with a boat, because there are no perfect boats, and in negotiating a final price with the seller post-survey, you will generally recoup more than the cost of the survey/haulout and you will have a much better picture of what needs to be done to the boat to bring it up to your standards. You may even have learned things that convince you that the vessel in question isn't worth it at any price, so an expensive survey can save you many times its cost.

A monohull survey will generally run less than a multihull, and where you are having the survey performed will have a lot to do with it, as well. Only use a surveyor affiliated with SAMS or NAMS, and try to find a surveyor on your own, starting with recommendations from those you trust. Your broker may recommend the best surveyor in your area, but how will you know that?

Good luck with your purchase.

TaoJones
Old 11-05-2007, 12:46   #4

Boat: Seidelmann 299
thanks for the info guys.

anyone know of a good surveyor in beaufort, NC.
fenceguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 17:48   #5

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
This guy is in New Bern, but I am sure he would make the short drive. I think he is top rate.

Eberle Marine Surveys, New Bern, NC (252) 633-4280

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 20:01   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
When we were buying our boat, our marine insurance company was very keen on recommending particular surveyors to us. We followed their recommendations and got a very thorough survey (took 10 hours and was the equivalent of an alien anal probe - the seller was sweating bullets). This was for a 40' catamaran in late 2003 and the cost was $19/ft +$120 travel in St. Lucie Florida.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 22:34   #7

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenceguy2
Yo Fence,

there are several ways to approach inspections of an older sailboat. Once a buyer and seller have agreed on a price, it is customary to do a sea trial, where the operation of all equipment, machinery, electronics and controls, including sailing hardware are checked. During this sea trial it often makes good sense to have along a mechanic to check the engine and its' related equipment. Before incurring this expense it might be wise to have a qualified diver do a quick check for blisters/ rot/ corrosion/ damage. A separate rigging survey might be considered appropriate.

Assuming each of these areas checks out in their turn, then one can consider it safe to incur the much larger expense of a haul/launch/hull survey. Even here, much of a surveyor's work can be done in the slip, before haulout, if practical.

Once the boat is hauled out for the out-of-water part of the survey, it is best to be prepared to immediately have certain of the survey recommendations corrected while the boat is already out of the water.

Anywhere along this path which I have described can be found possible deal-breakers. It is up to buyer and seller to overcome these obstacles in some fair manner. Each of the professionals you have engaged will attempt to estimate the boat's condition and repairs needed. All this must be considered along with the vessel's age and intended purpose.

Most 20-year-old boats need a complete refit. Some need repowering. Any one of these could have a major problem such as leaking fuel tanks, delaminated bulkheads or corroded keel bolts. It is these expensive-to-repair issues that you are paying a pro to discover before it is suddenly your problem. Hire the best you can find.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 23:56   #8

Just had a survey on my 36' catamaran that was required by my insurance co. since my last survey was done 10 yrs. ago. The suveyor recomended a pressure test be done on my fuel tank because of problems with etanol. Is this a standard recommendation, and whats involved with a pressure test? Is it expensive?
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote