Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2008, 15:07   #31

Boat: Buchan 37, Turn Point
There is another coming here for the Swiftsure, I am going to try to get on it as crew.
vicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 16:53   #32

Boat: 1968 Buchan '37 - Kiwi
That would be great. I hear they won a few Swiftsures back in the day, maybe it's time for a revival!
Old 16-06-2008, 22:08   #33

Buchan 37 for sale

I saw this old thread and thought that someone might be interested or know someone who would be interested in my Buchan 37 that is for sale. It has the factory decks, Pisces diesel engine, a pretty comfortable interior and is located in the CA Bay Area. I own two boats and really need to sell it soon. It needs work but isn't too bad. I'm asking $14,500. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will email pictures and details.

Thanks,

Nick
ssnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 14:13   #34

Boat: 1969 Buchan 37, and a Sparrow 12 named Jaundice
Nick,
We recently bought a Buchan 37 in San Diego, and would love to see pictures of yours if you don't mind sharing with the "merely curious"--we are looking for re-build ideas.
Thanks!
wildhitsuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 15:32   #35

I think you may already have pictures of this boat. The guy who I bought it from said that he had been talking to some people from Alaska around the time I bought it. Could that be you?

Either way, I don't mind sending pictures. What parts are you interested in?
ssnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 17:26   #36

Rossair's sister here

I am Rossair's sister, and I'm working on our Buchan 37 (Big Mir). It is on a buoy on Lake Washington.
Today I painted parts of the new bulkheads; hopefully they will get less moldy this winter than last winter.
I am also taping fore-aft stringers to the hull before the water temperature gets too low. Once that's done, we will build back out the galley, bunks, hanging locker and head. Also make a more sound-proof box around the engine. I am also revarnishing the tiller and making new spreaders. Here is a photo of Ross working on the starboard stringer, and also a photo from before we replaced all the bulkheads, showing the template we made of doorskin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misc sept 2008 007.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	5100   Click image for larger version

Name:	big mir haulout 010.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	5101  

Big Mir Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 18:18   #37

Buchan 37

I've got a BUCHAN 37 - in Sausalito, CA. Thanks for all the great info.

My throttle lever is stuck, (but not the transmission lever). There's a little knob below the throttle quadrant that almost seems like it could have a locking pin inside, but there's no obvious button. Could there be a locking pin that got stuck in the locked position ? thanks
jsoceanlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 08:38   #38
cruiser

I spent many a joyous hour racing on Buchan 40's and the very first Buchan 37, with Bill Sr., when I was in high school.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 20:25   #39

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
I have a Buchan 37 moored in Kingston Wa. Her name is Maelstrom, built for Earl Miller back in 1966. I'm her 4th owner and very pleased to have a legendary peice of NW sailing history.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 07:55   #40
cruiser

I raced with Bill Buchan Sr. with is wife and one other guy as crew. Basically you had to be ready to do everything and old Bill did not cotton to whiners. He had thumbs as big as bananas. I think we had four small winches on the boat and we end for ended the pole jibing. It was a good way to learn to sail and you learned fast.

Racing Thunder, the prototype of the B 37, we won ten races in a row. We had a good crew and a good boat.

It was a very different time. We sailed very hard with what today would be considered "crude" gear. I am very thankful it is part of my life experience.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 21:05   #41

I have read some about Bill Sr. and his ability to get his point across. I met John B. 20 some years ago when I was in the cabinate business. I built and installed kitchens and such in a number of Buchan homes. That was before I knew anything about his sailing history. At that time I was boatless as my new wife and newer daughter forced the sale of my old whale boat conversion (circa Bill Garden). It was really time anyway as I didn't have the time or resorces to keep a wooden boat mantained. Nice old gaff rigger though, still miss it sometimes.

I bought Maelstrom a couple of years ago from an older gent who lost his wife and most of his intrest in the boat so it had sat unused for about 6 years. Needless to say I have been playing catch up ever since with just about everything. First year we removed the 40 year build up of bottom paint down to fiberglass and did the West systems thing, then installed a 22" x 40" hatch in the cockpit sole. That my friend, was opening Pandora's Box. All the things that looked mearly suspicious while peering over the engine with a flash light took on a whole new kind of horror when exposed to the light of day. So this past winter I pulled the old '59 Graymarine 4-112 and did a complete rebuild. I also did the Paragon gear as it was slipping at anything over 1/4 throttle. Next is deck and hull paint, the teak, then wireing....... it never ends, but I don't have to tell you that.

She sails very well and fast. I don't race but there is always that kind of smugness that can only come from going faster than the other guy without the apperance of trying. The second owner, a rigger named Dennis Kerconen(?) remasted her, took the rudder off the keel and fitted a spade rudder farther aft making her very nimble indeed. She can practicaly pivot around the keel in place, very handy for close quarters.

Well sorry for the long winded rant, I guess I'm just very proud of the old girl, I'll try and post some pics when I figure out how.

Best fishes.
Old 07-05-2009, 19:13   #42

Boat: Buchan 37, Distance
Wanna Race this Summer

I've got a 1965 Buchan 37 on Lake Union. She was originally hull number seven and originally named Thrust. I'm her third owner and have had her for 8 years now. Through this I've met a few other owners and race against a couple of other Buchan's in the Tuesday Duck Dodge. However if anyone wanted to get together on the sound for a race I'm sure I could round up the other Lake Union boats and possibly some Shilshole boats for a bit of a rendevous. Friday night sailfest in August is my first idea but if any of you have other thoughts let me know.

Kevin Dolan
Distance - 9614
Distance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 19:38   #43

Racing Buchans

Hey Kevin,

I have read your distance blog before when looking for information about the B 37's, nice boat! I don't race personaly but I know a few who do so that could materialize, just not with me in comand. What is this Friday sailfest thing and where does it take place, would love to see some other Buchans and maybe get some questions answered as there isn't a lot of information published about these boats.

Fred
Old 08-05-2009, 07:16   #44

Boat: Buchan 37, Distance
Friday night sailfest is an event CYC at Shilshole hosts. It is intended to get non-racers out racing, so nobody needs a rating, or registration. It is just show up and go.

With regards to info, a few years ago I crewed for Lon Robinson, he is the most knowledgable person on the boats as he is an original owner and the guy who actually went in the mold and took the lines for the boat when his (9618) boat Gamin was built. I'm not sure how Lonnie is doing these days as I haven't talked to him in a while, but he is a good source.

I've also got some original info on the boats but it mostly conserns how to tweek them for racing perfomance.

Kevin
Distance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 07:59   #45

Boat: Buchan 37 - Gratitude
New owner of a Buchan 37

Hi all,

We just purchased a Buchan 37 last week. I am really psyched that this forum exists.

Our Boat is hull # 19. From what I understand, it raced in San Diego for 29 years under the name of Blue Blazes.

There is quite a bit of deck work to be done (many penetrations). I've begun tearing the cabin top apart to get out the rotted coring and hope to start re-fiberglassing by this weekend.

I was wondering if anyone has done any work re-sealing the deck-to-hull joint? The previous owner said that she noticed some water drips by this joint at midships. I can see the bolts coming through in the cabin in the aft quarter berth, but don't see them in the main part of the cabin (I'm guessing their glassed over in this part of the boat?). I am planning on removing the teak toerail this weekend to take a look at it, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated if you've done this on yours.

Does anyone have any drawings, diagrams, owners manual, etc.? I've been doing a lot of research to find more information, but to no avail.

Best,
JB

gratitude at sea
jarrodbailey is offline   Reply With Quote