Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-07-2016, 06:11   #1

Buccaneer 270

Preparing for negative comments...

I found a Bayliner Buccaneer 270 for sale on Craigslist.

http://mobile.craigslist.org/boa/5656198655.html

Things I like about it:
Cheap, in fair shape, comes with trailer, roomy enough to spend a few days at a time without having to poop under my pillow.

Things I'm worried about:
Buccaneer, football, bathtub, only good for drifting with the wind, why are there so many windows, and the other comments that probably come with owning a Winnebago with a bed sheet on top.

But, I think I can get past those things.

So, give it to me straight. What do you think about it? Purely coastal stuff. I'm located in new Orleans. The idea is to park it on land and launch it when I get time off for exploring the coast. Then haul her out again. My schedule is irregular and I think this plan makes sense.
Anyone have experience with these tubs?

Thanks,
Duncan

Old 12-07-2016, 07:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Buccaneer 270

The Buccaneer to put it politely, is not known for heavy duty, solid construction. There's a reason it's cheap.

That being said, if you check it out carefully, especially the rigging and hull integrity, are very careful with when and where you sail, mainly regarding how much wind and waves you hit, then it could be used as a (near) coastal cruiser.

Don't forget that storms, strong winds and big waves are not limited to far out at sea so don't assume coastal is inherently safe. You might have heard about the case a few weeks ago of a father and three kids making a short, coastal trip in Florida where they were hit with some rough weather, the boat sank and all were lost.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:23   #3

POS

RUN

I saw the title of your post and knew what I was going to say before I read the thread.

Really, nothin' personal, but those things could kill you.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 06:17   #4

Skip,
Thanks for that, I appreciate your advice.

Stu,
I probably deserved that.

What is it that makes people have such knee jerk reactions about these boats? Genuinely curious. Is there any literature about their faults? I can't seem to find much info on them at all, but there seem to be a good number of them around. Why is this boat inherently a deathtrap?

Anyone who has been on/sailed one have any thoughts?

Thanks guys,
Duncan
Old 13-07-2016, 06:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Never sailed on one but looked at a couple when I was a yacht broker. They are built so lightly it's amazing. Rigging on the ones I looked at would be too small for a boat 1/3 smaller than the Buccaneer. The chainplates looked tiny. The mounting of the chainplates was inadequate to say the least.

The hull and deck were very thin layups. Just overall very lightly and cheaply built.

On paper it does look like a lot of boat with a lot of amenities but there are so many great deals on small boats I'm certain if you look around for a while you can find something a lot better.

If you just can't resist I recommend great caution. If sailing and the wind picks up even a little, reef deeply or drop the sails. Don't go outside the bay on anything but the best days and watch the weather. Gulf of Mexico thunderstorms can pop up quickly and produce very strong winds and steep, choppy waves that could easily overwhelm a Buccaneer.
Old 13-07-2016, 14:45   #6

Well, I guess it just takes a little convincing. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. The search continues. How do you feel about MacGregor's? There's a 25 for sale in Pensacola. Seems nice but a bit more pricey.
https://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/5655042695.html
It's never easy.
Duncan
Old 13-07-2016, 16:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In general my opinion is a MacGregor is a slightly better built boat than a Buccaneer but still a very light weight boat. I did once meet a guy that sailed a MacGregor 25 from FL to the VI but he was a pretty experienced sailor and took a long, careful time to make the trip.

If I recall correctly there were two versions of the MacGregor 25. The older was a sailboat, the newer was a power boat/sailboat. It would sail more or less but also you could mount a large outboard and go 25-30 mph.

Correction, googled and I think that was only the 26.

If you're looking for a smaller, less expensive but well built sailboat try a Catalina 27, or a Columbia, Cal, Pearson, Tartan, Ericson. Many more but these are a few that come to mind.
Old 13-07-2016, 16:58   #8

Boat: Island Packet 32 Cbreeze

I had a good friend that bought one brand new (Buccaneer 27) back in the late 70's or early 80's. He sailed it all over the northern GOM until his time ran out a few years back. Never did anybody get more fun out of a boat than he did. I sailed many times with him (including week long trips). Leaking ports were his only real problems. He was in the KISS camp but I was always amazed how well she sailed and how much fun he had. Ain't a pretty ship, but it served him very well.
Old 13-07-2016, 22:28   #9

Boat: Catalina 27

Many will knock the Buccaneers or have strong opinions without ever having sailed one. They are not everyone's cup of tea, but - AS WITH ANY SAILBOAT - if sailed within the limits of the boat AND the sailor, they are as much fun as any other boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: