Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-10-2009, 15:46   #1
cruiser

Brokers and Thieves

A friend recently bought a boat from Discovery Harbour Boat Brokers in Campbell River BC. When she got her boat home, the battery charger was missing. When she asked George the broker where it was, he got very defensive. He had the other key. The locks hadn't been broken.
Thus, when buying a boat , it is a good idea to check the equipment list and make sure everything is still there, before handing over the cheque. Then change the locks immediately.
And don't do buisines with a broker with a reputation for sleaziness.

Old 20-10-2009, 16:12   #2

Boat: Cascade
Not too nice Discovery Harbour you say

Old 20-10-2009, 16:39   #3

Boat: 27ft catalina
there are many brokers on the island here with the same practices. one in particular out of cowichan bay advertises boats with all the goodies but when you go look at the boat they dont seem to be there unaware to the owner. they also like to misrepresent the facts now dont you is..ya..sa....
Old 20-10-2009, 17:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
These kind of threads, although unpleasant, are necessary. Bought mine from SAS yachts in Seattle. Judy was very good, and everything was either on the yacht or in her office ready for me to pick up.
Old 20-10-2009, 17:34   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Mine had everything on it too.
Quite a bit of easily removed items.

On pick up day he brought a couple more things - teak plugs, two snatch blocks, and more I can't remember - so much stuff on the boat.
Old 20-10-2009, 18:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
The broker we bought ours from is no longer in business. We had a couple of agreed upon items mysteriously not on the boat.
Old 20-10-2009, 18:07   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Two way street

I bought my boat from a widow who had included a 3 year old Tohatsu dingy outboard (used for one season) in the list of gear being sold with the boat. At the closing I asked where the outboard was she said she had let a family friend borrow it for the last two years but she would ask for it back if I wanted it. She had been generous with items her husband had stashed in her basement and in her garage which had not appeared on the list of gear to be transferred with the boat so I told her I would consider it a nice gift for the family friend and she should tell him it was something her husband would have wanted. She was relieved and I felt better for having made the gesture.
Old 21-10-2009, 01:40   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
She was relieved and I felt better for having made the gesture.
Jim, nice touch. We bought April Lass from an old couple who had to give up sailing due to health problems. They left everything on board and I mean everything so we could choose what we wanted to keep. John even mentioned he had left his binoculars on board. I picked them up, thanked him, then gave them back saying we already had several pairs and that perhaps he should keep them in the car for when he was down the coast so he could look out to sea. He seemed very grateful for this and let us stay on the expensive dockside pontoon for 2 months for free.

Two years on we still send postcards to them on our travels and they write every Xmas.

I think the difference is being able to meet the previous owners so the deal is between real people and the brokers become clerical staff sorting out paperwork and nothing more.

We know of one broker with an excellent collection of electronic charts for almost any plotter on the market. they remove them for safe keeping but unfortunately items never seem to go back on the boat after the sale.

Pete
Old 21-10-2009, 02:56   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I bought mine "as seen"; having been to inspect it several times, there was actually a confusion of sorts in the end what "as seen" actually entails. I should have made an equipment list/photos.. hindsight hey..
Old 21-10-2009, 05:42   #10
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
I just fine it hard to believe brokers and yards stealing stuff from people's boats, AND that they are known to do this! Why aren't these being report to the police, that's what you would if they took stuff from your house.
Old 21-10-2009, 06:11   #11

Boat: Currently boatless
After being out of town for 1 1/2 years we came back to our boat unannounced that we had left with a broker. There was a ton of stuff missing including stuff that was locked in the cabin. We sailed the boat back to our previous dock where it would be safe and sound and loved. We had no proof as to who did it or whether it happened before or after he moved it to his place. We have decided to hold on to her for now and will hopefully spend the winter in Florida and the Islands on her.
Old 21-10-2009, 06:53   #12

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Prior to buying my present boat I received a very comprehensive list of everything included in the sale. On the day, prior to me handing over the money and receiving the 'Bill of sale' the Broker took me through the boat, ticking off items as we went. When it came around to the navigation equipment there was supposed to be a full, world wide set of Mega-wide cartridges. With them nowhere to be found the broker was on to the seller immediately. It turned out that the seller had 'decided he'd like to keep them, but I could buy them for extra'. The broker just about forced him to hand them over, threatening breach of contract and goodness knows what. When we got to the engine room, all the spares (about £45,000 worth) supposedly included were also missing. The broker just asked me if I could postpone for two days and complete then. I don't know what he did but two days later everything was there. I did notice that a couple of laptops had appeared in the pilot house that I hadn't noted previously. Not ALL brokers are bad and a good broker tells you exactly what you are buying.
Old 21-10-2009, 07:33   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
The broker just asked me if I could postpone for two days and complete then. I don't know what he did but two days later everything was there.
A good broker inspires confidence and deserves naming!

I was very happy with Multihull World in UK
Old 21-10-2009, 08:48   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
Prior to buying my present boat I received a very comprehensive list of everything included in the sale. On the day, prior to me handing over the money and receiving the 'Bill of sale' the Broker took me through the boat, ticking off items as we went. When it came around to the navigation equipment there was supposed to be a full, world wide set of Mega-wide cartridges. With them nowhere to be found the broker was on to the seller immediately. It turned out that the seller had 'decided he'd like to keep them, but I could buy them for extra'. The broker just about forced him to hand them over, threatening breach of contract and goodness knows what. When we got to the engine room, all the spares (about £45,000 worth) supposedly included were also missing. The broker just asked me if I could postpone for two days and complete then. I don't know what he did but two days later everything was there. I did notice that a couple of laptops had appeared in the pilot house that I hadn't noted previously. Not ALL brokers are bad and a good broker tells you exactly what you are buying.
I think folks might like to know who that broker is/was. I'd list with him/her.
Old 21-10-2009, 09:25   #15

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
I think folks might like to know who that broker is/was. I'd list with him/her.
I'll check with him, he's in Spain, though a Brit. There may be reasons why he wouldn't want it known that he can be hard on a seller.

Paige

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: