Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 09:55   #16

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985
Re: Bristol 45.5, thoughts and experences?

We looked hard at the 45.5 before settling on a 47.7 which had been kept in great condition by prior owner. Keel (with no bolting) and board are a great feature as is weight and design of hull for sailing. Our view is that Bristols of these lengths and weights should be sailed and seem to really respond at 18-20 knots of breeze. Very stable in seaway. Hood in-mast furling has worked well. That being said, look closely at the fuel and water tanks and figure out how much you want to spend annually on the brightwork, engine and generator.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_John View Post
I looking for a live aboard cruiser for the Florida Keys and Bahamas.
Any thoughts on the Bristol 45.5 Center Cockpit, Keel/center board, sloop?
Thanks in advance for any advice on the Bristol.
John
I just posted some information about a Bristol 40 that may appeal to Bristol fans.

This is a boat at a very low price due to a death in the owner's family. Located in USVI. Lots of photos, low hours on engine, equipped for cruising (gear lists in post).

Look for my post #265 in this thread.
Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds - Page 18 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:26   #18

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by evbeck View Post
We looked hard at the 45.5 before settling on a 47.7 which had been kept in great condition by prior owner. Keel (with no bolting) and board are a great feature as is weight and design of hull for sailing. Our view is that Bristols of these lengths and weights should be sailed and seem to really respond at 18-20 knots of breeze. Very stable in seaway. Hood in-mast furling has worked well. That being said, look closely at the fuel and water tanks and figure out how much you want to spend annually on the brightwork, engine and generator.

Yes , you mean they have an encapsulated keel . Very difficult and time consuming way to build a keel . The larger Bristols 40 and up were built in two half hull sections and the joined together , each section had its own space for the ballast inside the keel to be poured , lead . That's how they got the centreboard between the cheeks of the keel . Also allowed for a very large inward turned flange at the deck joint . This was not glued, it was sealed with butyl tape and they bolted every 4 inches . The tape at my joint is as soft as the day they built the boat and not a leak or a squeak from it . Not sure if you could get a boat built like that today . I met Clint Pearson , Dieter Empacher and Halsey Herreshoff at the Bristol 50 reunion in Rhode Island this past summer . These folks took great pride in there boats and people still love them . It was amazing to see so many Bristols on the water at the same time .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I just posted some information about a Bristol 40 that may appeal to Bristol fans.

This is a boat at a very low price due to a death in the owner's family. Located in USVI. Lots of photos, low hours on engine, equipped for cruising (gear lists in post).

Look for my post #265 in this thread.
Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds - Page 18 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Damn. If I was anywhere near there I would buy that boat today.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:40   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Damn. If I was anywhere near there I would buy that boat today.
I know the feeling!

A Bristol 40 for $17,500 is a stimulating concept.

Gets the juices flowing!
Old 01-11-2016, 16:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I know the feeling!

A Bristol 40 for $17,500 is a stimulating concept.

Gets the juices flowing!
I've applied for a job that will transfer me to St Thomas. But the earliest I'll be there is July/August, if it was a little closer I would jump on that, that's a lot of well-built boat for the money. That's an insane amount of well-built boat for the money.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:15   #22

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Capt John:
Cant speak specifically to the 45.5, but I have owned a 1978 Bristol 35.5 centerboard x 2.5 yrs.... she is stoutly built - deck is solid w/ no soft spots-pulled chainplates and they were as new...replaced standing/running rigging, mainsail, alternator, water pump on this Westerbeke w30, original engine rebuilt once in 1993..narrow beam (10'10") by modern standards and moderately heavy (displacement 15,000 lbs). Had her out 2 wkends ago in small craft advisories, 3-5ft (not breaking) and 15-20knots w/ gusts to 30. With 1/3 of genoa deployed consistently hit 5-6knots, close hauled. As noted earlier, Bristols will go anywhere, typically skipper is the weak link as am I. I love sailing this boat..Would check out Bristol owners site on yahoo for 45.5 owners/thots. Good luck in your hunt..For comparison, was looking at Sabres and Tartans same vintage...Bristol is more heavily built. thnks Dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:45   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CORRECTION:
Earlier I posted a link to a long post with photos about SVERIGE a Bristol 40 for sale. That boat is in CHARLESTON SC and NOT in St. Johns USVI.

The original sale post on Facebook only said "St. Johns" so I asked the owner of the boat to clarify which one. Here is his response today:
"Charleston South Carolina, St John's Yacht Harbor Marina E dock, slip E 33"

Unfortunately I am unable to go back to my original post on that boat to correct the location.
Old 02-11-2016, 13:10   #24

I own a 1980 Bristol 45.5 (aft cockpit) and can attest to the quality of the construction and design. The boat is 34000lbs and is excellent in heavy weather. She also sails quite well. Light air requires an appropriate head sail.

Comments on the tanks are correct. Mine have been replaced. The centerboard arrangement is quite good. I especially appreciate the 5ft draft when on the Chesapeake. The hull is very sound and, like others have said, has no leaks. Maintenance of the brightwork is an effort. But well rewarded by the classic appearance and the compliments received in many harbors.

After ten years, mine is for sail, but I know you want a center cockpit. Contact me if you have any questions I can help with.
goodnumbers64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 06:33   #25

hi goodnumbers64:
I currently have a offer in on a Bristol 45.5 aft cockpit 1990.The owner is gone through the new year and I do not expect to hear from them until they return. The boat is well equipped the fuel tanks replaced Bristol condition. The boat was locally sail until the last 4 years when the current owners did extensive sailing. I offer 80% of asking do not know if they will accept. The boat is in Oxford MD I am in the San Francisco Bay Area plan to sail the boat home if the sail goes through. Can you email a link to your boat jonbuilder@comcast.net
jonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 08:31   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Hey anyone want to put an offer in on my Bristol 45.5 , I am thinking of a 56.6 Bristol . But she needs about 200,000$ worth of refit .

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc