Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 21:58   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Bristol 39 Opinions?

I'm looking at a 69 Bristol 39. I can't find much info on these boats. I know, as a general rule, that Bristols are good cruising boats. But I don't know much about these in particular. The one I'm looking at has a new engine (only 135hrs) and a number of other upgrades. So are these good boats or not?
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 22:19   #2

Re: Bristol 39 Opinions?

I've been on a few and really enjoyed them.. From my personal experience with those is that they seem very solid and well made. Since you stated that the engine is new with upgrades, sounds even better!! Good luck with the deal.. Hopefully, actual owners will chime in..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 22:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I almost bought a '69 a few years back. Still kicking myself for getting cute on the offer and losing it. Typical CCA design with smallish interior and large cockpit. Very good sailors, have won the Bermuda race a couple of times. The last time not long ago. Older boat so check out thoroughly. The boat I looked at had cruised from the East Coast and circumnavigated the Pacific.

Did I mention it will be best looking boat in any anchorage.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 18:55   #4

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Talking Re: Bristol 39 Opinions?

It is very solidly built. There is a lot of storage on them because there are no quarter berths and there are dozens of drawers. The v-berth is large with a huge hatch overhead for good ventilation. many owners have added a hatch in the salon. The headroom is over 6'3 and the deck is easy to move around on. The engine is accessible, the stuffing box is not.

There is a google users group for the Bristols, with some good info on there. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bristol39-40.

I know of the one that you are talking about, I have been eyeing it myself, but timing is wrong for me, have to repaint the blue non-skid and alot of varnishing..LOL...
Old 03-09-2013, 20:45   #5

Yeah, the blue deck HAS to go. Lol. Not to mention that the 70s want their yellow cushions back.
Old 03-09-2013, 21:15   #6

Kevin, before you paint out the blue decks you might do a little research. Many years ago I read a report that said a light blue gave you the combination of the least heat absorbtion and the least glare to your eyes of all the colors tested. I can attest to the blue decks being easier on bare feet than green decks or the very hot grey decks. You may not like the asthetics, but a few degrees cooler down below in the tropics can make a nice difference. Just a thought. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 21:26   #7

Hmmm. I'll definitely consider it. Have to do some research first though. Because they are really hideous on that boat.
Old 03-09-2013, 23:42   #8

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
There are 2 yahoo groups and 1 google group for Bristols. Great boats. I had a small one a while back and they are built like tanks. Have to agree though on color choices. It looks like the Easter bunny got seasick!!

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle