Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-06-2009, 19:08   #1

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Bristol 32

Hola,

So if you guys have read my tales of engine woe, you know my situation.

Assuming I get an offer on Icefire and go through with selling her, there are some boats for sale in Charleston that look tempting.

One of them is a Bristol 32. The craigslist add asked $17k I think. That seems like a decent price to me, but I don't know the comps. I also don't know the boat.

Any opinions on this one? She sure looks nice. How's she handle? Well built? Tough?

Curious,
Alexei

Old 09-06-2009, 20:21   #2

Boat: Tartan 40
I knew a very experienced sailor who swears by his Bristol 32 as a very rugged and seaworthy design. Certainly a beautiful boat for someone who enjoys the classics. I have seen him out in heavy and light conditions handling it well.

Interestingly, it is considerably slower than my boat (Luders 33), which is a similar design but has slightly more beam and waterline length. Also its accomodations and cockpit seem smaller than my boat's, despite only 1 foot less in length.

Both of our boats heel more than modern designs because of narrower beam- not uncommon to heel about 25-30 degrees upwind in good breeze. Partly because of narrow beam and tapered sterns, and attached rudders, our boats never have a problem with spinning out while sailing upwind in gusty conditions.

Old 09-06-2009, 20:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Actually the boats heel easily because of the slack bilges, the white wine glass shape of the hull. Beam does have something to do with stability but it's more the hull design. They are designed this way to cut down on wetted surface. Initial stability is less than a flat bottomed fin keeler but ultimate stability is way better. Also motion is much easier and you probably will have a proper bilge sump.

I seriously looked at the Bristol 32 but found it to be a bit small for me. That's a personal thing, however. There have been B32s sell for close to $10,000. Don't know the real condition but broker said it was in good condition. Might look at the Pearson 35, Tartan 34, Seabreeze 35, Bristol 35, and Luders 33 to get a larger selection and possibly better pricing. There was Seabreeze just on ebay asking $17,000, IIRC, just back from the Carribean so a lot of cruising gear. I'm not knocking the B32, just giving some other boats that may fit your needs. In any case, make a rediculous offer on anything that strikes your fancy. It's a buyer's market.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
Old 09-06-2009, 20:39   #4

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
In any case, make a rediculous offer on anything that strikes your fancy. It's a buyer's market.
True. I just hope people forget that with my boat.
Old 10-06-2009, 19:37   #5

Boat: Bristol 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei View Post
Hola,

So if you guys have read my tales of engine woe, you know my situation.

Assuming I get an offer on Icefire and go through with selling her, there are some boats for sale in Charleston that look tempting.

One of them is a Bristol 32. The craigslist add asked $17k I think. That seems like a decent price to me, but I don't know the comps. I also don't know the boat.

Any opinions on this one? She sure looks nice. How's she handle? Well built? Tough?

Curious,
Alexei
The Bistol 32 is a first generation Bristol, built from the mid 1960's. The boat was designed by the Ted Hood design team. The B32 is a sweet sailing boat, very easy in a seaway, very safe offshore, but as with most boats built at that time to CCA rules, she is small by modern standards. Her beam of 9 and a half feet contributes to her initial tenderness, but makes her a stonger offshore boat, and gives her windward abilities that a more modern boat would only wish for, I have owned a Bristol 29, also a first gen Bristol for over 20 years and have great respect for older Bristols. They have their quirks like all boats, but Bristols are strongly built boats, all designed by some of this country's most talented marine architects.

The most well know B32, Kestrel, was sailed singlehanded from New England to Britain, including center punching a fishing boat with very little damage to her bow.

Good luck with your search,
Old 17-09-2009, 18:24   #6

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
But, WHY do Bristol 32's not sell quickly and when they do sell so cheap?
10,000 ish.
I think they are beautifull boats and occasionally consider purchasing one but don't understand.

Doesn't anyone want them?
Why?
Old 17-09-2009, 18:38   #7

Boat: Pearson 39 Yawl "ZigZag"
They are very small for a 32 footer. Similar design to my Alberg30. Sweet but narrow.
Old 17-09-2009, 21:10   #8

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
I just looked at one. As redcobra said, they are very small inside for a 32. Alot of 25 to 27s feel as big inside as the B32. Beautiful boat though. For the price you proably couln't get a more seaworthy vessel.
Old 17-09-2009, 22:20   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The reason that I didn't consider one is the interior was so cramped. I'm not a fan of floating condo's but they were just too cramped for my taste.
Aloha
Peter Ogilvie
Pa'akai O'o, Pearson 35 #108
Too many Landrovers, some even run.
Old 18-09-2009, 05:25   #10

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Any links to someone crossing an ocean on a bristol 32?
Any circumnavigations?
Old 18-09-2009, 07:28   #11

B 32 link

Here is the website detailing the B32 Kestrel which was sailed across the Atlantic.

S/V Kestrel - The Boat
Old 18-09-2009, 07:40   #12

I think the B32 has plenty of room for long distance cruising. It all depends on how much stuff you wish to bring along, how many crew, etc. For singlehanding or for a couple, the boat is ideal IMO. First gen Bristols can carry a lot, stay balanced and still sail fast. The also sail to windward like a scalded cat.
Old 18-09-2009, 08:32   #13

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Howdy David and Alexei,
BTW David we were successful in getting our B34 home to Texas.

Alexei:
The Bristols are wonderful and built like a tank. Yep they are a bit small inside and have their own quirks, but excellent boats to be sure! Didi you say you were going to be in Annapolis or general area or was that someone else? There are a LOT of Bristols in the Northeast. We got ours for $5700 but was in need of a lot of TLC. The B34 is a Herreshof design. Not real roomy but a bit better than the 32. Here is a B34 that's real reasonable and probably in good shape. Needs a little cleaning tho...

1971 Bristol Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 08:34   #14

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
BTW David, your refit website has been invaluable to us. Thx!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 09:40   #15

Fish,

So glad to hear you stuck with your B34 and got her home! Good luck with your "projects" and plans for her. Feel free to post any questions, comments and project status on the Bristol forum;

http://bristol29forum.lefora.com/forum/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: