Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 16:40   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Bristol 29.9

There are a couple nearby I'm considering.

Any comments from present or prior owners would be appreciated.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:15   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Bristol 29.9

Got 2-foot-it is? Good luck! A new boat is always exciting.
Old 23-09-2015, 23:06   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Thomm, going from memory about a friend's 29.9, it had a V-drive tranny, and the stuffing box was located below the engine. They complained that in order to tighten the packing they had to undo the motor mounts and lift the engine up. Dunno if the o nes you are looking at are the same, but that would be a deal breaker for me.

Jim
Old 24-09-2015, 03:13   #4

Ok thanks!
Old 24-09-2015, 07:32   #5

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
There are a couple nearby I'm considering.

Any comments from present or prior owners would be appreciated.
We bought one last month (our prior boat was a Bristol 24). She needs some work, so after we brought her back we hauled her right away to get a jump on things before the cold weather sets in.

Given that she's so new to us I'm afraid I don't have much personal input, but from all of the research we did we knew she was the right boat for us. I will say that the engine access was a huge plus. Mr. cthoops is 6'4" and he can climb into the starboard lazarette to check the oil as opposed to blindly trying to reach around from the front.

If you haven't already, check out the Bristol boat owners yahoo group. We solicited opinions when we were thinking of moving up to the 29.9 and received several positive comments.

Good luck.
Old 28-09-2015, 16:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
We bought one last month (our prior boat was a Bristol 24). She needs some work, so after we brought her back we hauled her right away to get a jump on things before the cold weather sets in.

Given that she's so new to us I'm afraid I don't have much personal input, but from all of the research we did we knew she was the right boat for us. I will say that the engine access was a huge plus. Mr. cthoops is 6'4" and he can climb into the starboard lazarette to check the oil as opposed to blindly trying to reach around from the front.

If you haven't already, check out the Bristol boat owners yahoo group. We solicited opinions when we were thinking of moving up to the 29.9 and received several positive comments.

Good luck.
Thanks! I hope you enjoy your new boat.

I still have a problem though with wheel steering boats. The way the steering wheel is so far aft.

I guess I've just gotten used to the tiller steering on all my past sailboats which is sort of holding me back on the Bristol 29.9 and the Bristol 32. The 32 also has a really short waterline of like 22' which isn't a good thing
Old 28-09-2015, 16:50   #7

Boat: Luders 36

Quote:

The 32 also has a really short waterline of like 22' which isn't a good thing

We have a Luders 36 which only has a 25' waterline. It was the way they were designed for rating at the time. When they heal over the overhangs get into the water and stretch the water line out to nearly LOA. She is surprisingly fast, at least in the ad hoc races we do with other unsuspecting newer boats of similar LOA.

Summary: not sure you can say it isn't a good thing.

Off topic: Q: how many boats does it take to race? A: Two, but only one needs to know.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 16:54   #8

Boat: Luders 36

Quote:

I guess I've just gotten used to the tiller steering on all my past sailboats which is sort of holding me back on the Bristol 29.9 and the Bristol 32.

We just pulled the binnacle out of our Luders 36 and went with a tiller. It is how all of the original drawings we can find were configured. It is a fantastic change. Opens up the cockpit, folds out of the way during during cocktail hour entertaining. Real feedback. Not sure what your rehab plans are but you might consider it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 03:32   #9

[QUOTE=Jman;1925233]We have a Luders 36 which only has a 25' waterline. It was the way they were designed for rating at the time. When they heal over the overhangs get into the water and stretch the water line out to nearly LOA. She is surprisingly fast, at least in the ad hoc races we do with other unsuspecting newer boats of similar LOA.

Summary: not sure you can say it isn't a good thing.

Off topic: Q: how many boats does it take to race? A: Two, but only one needs to know. /QUOTE]

My boat is very similar with an almost 20' waterline on a 27' boat, but with the Bristol 32 I was thinking 22' of water line is quite short.

Those Bristol 32's look nice though but I'm thinking my next boat should be 30'-33' long about with at least a 24.5' - 27' waterline. A little more pointing ability would be nice in certain situations.
Old 29-09-2015, 03:36   #10

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:

I still have a problem though with wheel steering boats. The way the steering wheel is so far aft.

I guess I've just gotten used to the tiller steering on all my past sailboats which is sort of holding me back on the Bristol 29.9 and the Bristol 32. The 32 also has a really short waterline of like 22' which isn't a good thing
I know what you mean about being used to tiller steering. Until we bought this boat I had never sailed with a wheel. It felt like it took about 20 minutes before I stopped turning the wheel in the opposite direction of where I actually wanted to go!

Actually, for me, I prefer the position of the wheel at the far aft compared to some of the other boats we saw where the wheel was further forward. It seems to be less obtrusive in this position which is nicer for hanging out in the cockpit.

In my perfect world I'd have a tiller, but that's not going to happen.
Old 29-09-2015, 03:56   #11

Well, if I could get used to the wheel and lack of room getting around it on the Bristol 29.9, they have a lot longer waterline than many of the other keel boats that size I have looked at.

The 29.9 is totally different and has a PHRF of around 183 which isn't bad. The Contessa 32 has a PHRF of 180 or so.

The 29.9 has a waterline of 24' also and draws about 4'4" which is good for this area and further North on the Chesapeake Bay for getting into some nice anchorages

BRISTOL 29.9 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Here's the boat I'm consider. He will have to throttle back on the price a bit but the interior looks to be very clean and appears to have stayed dry over the years, and it has an autopilot:

1979 Bristol 29.9 Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com