Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 15:52   #1

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Brightwork Awaits Me

When I return to Oak Harbor this spring, brightwork awaits me. What I would like an opinion on is: has anybody used Epifanes Varnish? In the past I've used polyurethane spar vartnish. The longevity is so so but I had an acquaintance who extolled the virtues of Epifanes. What say you??
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 16:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Brightwork awaits me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
When I return to Oak Harbor this spring, brightwork awaits me. What I would like an opinion on is: has anybody used Epifanes Varnish? In the past I've used polyurethane spar vartnish. The longevity is so so but I had an acquaintance who extolled the virtues of Epifanes. What say you??
Check out the practical sailor varnish longevity tests....

Here is one of them: Exterior Wood Finish Test Two-year Update - Practical Sailor Article
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 16:23   #3

I used Epiphanes up here in the PNW once. It's pretty good, but no better than varathane. I liked it alot better than the interlux schooner varnish and one other one. One thing I learned up here; Once I only got 3 coats of varnish on before the grey drizzle set in. I never got any more on that winter. The rain will wear completely through 3 coats in spots in one winter. I believe that product was a spar varnish which is softer and more flexible. They say if you get 7 coaats on and then follow with 3 every year (minimums) you'll be ok.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 00:46   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We are believers of cetol. Due to the enormous amount outside bright work, we like a finish that only needs a new coat every 6 months in the tropics, every year in more temperate zones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-03-2014, 11:32   #5

On our Hans Christian 38 we started with bare wood and built up a base of 3 coats of regular cetol and 2 coats of cetol gloss. Then we apply one coat of cetol gloss every year in San Francisco. In Mexico we had to do a coat of gloss twice a year. We got lots of compliments on our brightwork and the key in my opinion is using cetol gloss on top.

The thing I love about cetol is that if you let it go too long you can usually just sand and build it back up with some regular cetol topped with gloss without having to go back to bare wood. With all the varnish I've used once you let it go too long you have to go back to bare wood. On our Hans Christian going back to bare wood was about 60 hours of work.

Cetol has much better coloring than it did in the 90's when it had a very bright orange look to it. You can still tell the difference from varnish up close but like a haircut, if it looks great from a few feet away it's good enough for me!

Todd
thuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 16:23   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Brightwork Awaits Me

My bright work was an eyesore. I finally bit the bullet this past fall and brought it down to the wood. I laid down three coats of Cetol Light and topped it with two coats of Cetol Gloss. I still have a bit more to do once spring arrives.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote