Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2013, 20:17   #1

Boat: none ... yet!
Brewer 44 - Rigging Obstacle?

My hubby and I are looking seriously at purchasing a Brewer 44. He flew down to look at one in SC last month and took some video footage. The only real complaint he had was that going forward seemed like a hassle - having to go around the standing rigging. I haven't been able to find any complaints about this online or on this forum.

We're considering flying down to look at another one for sale in San Diego, but are wondering if the rigging is really a big deal or not.

Anyone sailed the Brewer 44 and have an opinion on that one way or the other?

Old 11-10-2013, 20:42   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Brewer 44 - Rigging Obstacle?

The thing that really irks me about the design is the passage way to the aft cabin is ridiculously convoluted and low in headroom, with a nav/work area that you can't even stand up in. I suppose if you're both under 5' tall it would be fine. The first time you see it you'll really wonder what the hell the designer was thinking.

Yes the shrouds come down right in the middle of the deck, but that only ever struck me as a minor inconvenience. Over all very nice build quality and a decent sailor, but there are other center cockpits in that price range that I would take over it, like the Hylas 47.

If you're taking it back to Alaska and that is where it will live, I'd seriously consider whether you want/need a shoal draft centerboard boat. One more thing to break, at a cost to performance.

As an aside, I was on and in a Brewer 44 of a completely different ilk a few days ago:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1995...s#.Uli7UBZpAy4

I'm not usually one for pilot houses, but this boat was amazing. More interior room than I have ever seen on a 44', with more character and saltiness than you can shake a stick at. Immaculate, fitted to the 9's. Incredible boat and a steal at its price.

Old 11-10-2013, 23:01   #3

Boat: none ... yet!

Thanks for the reply Suijin. My husband is average height, but didn't seem concerned with the headroom in the passageway. Of course, he was just doing an informal inspection and not underway trying to navigate.

We also like the looks of the Hylas, but they tend to run a bit more. These Brewer 44s are also a bit higher than we were hoping to spend and may also take a look at the 12.8 and 42s. We're planning to start with Island hopping, in weather far warmer than up in our parts... so a shoal draft would be ideal.

It's good to hear that the shrouds aren't a big concern, that was the main issue we were hoping to get advice on.
Old 27-11-2013, 03:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenr View Post
Thanks for the reply Suijin. My husband is average height, but didn't seem concerned with the headroom in the passageway. Of course, he was just doing an informal inspection and not underway trying to navigate. We also like the looks of the Hylas, but they tend to run a bit more. These Brewer 44s are also a bit higher than we were hoping to spend and may also take a look at the 12.8 and 42s. We're planning to start with Island hopping, in weather far warmer than up in our parts... so a shoal draft would be ideal. It's good to hear that the shrouds aren't a big concern, that was the main issue we were hoping to get advice on.
So, which one did you end up buying? For how much?
Old 27-11-2013, 08:37   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

As an aside, I was on and in a Brewer 44 of a completely different ilk a few days ago:

1995 Brewer Custom Ted Brewer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'm not usually one for pilot houses, but this boat was amazing. More interior room than I have ever seen on a 44', with more character and saltiness than you can shake a stick at. Immaculate, fitted to the 9's. Incredible boat and a steal at its price.
Wow, you weren't kidding. In my experience, about three in a hundred sailors would know what they are seeing and would like it when presented with that ad...

...and two of them would be attempting to mortgage their houses by lunchtime!
Old 27-11-2013, 09:14   #6

As far as the rigging goes , ain't no problem . When its rougher than hell and you have to go forward , then you will appreciate every little thing that gives you a handhold . When its calm , then jts easy to get around cause you ain't bouncing all over !
The Brewer 44 is very much like another Brewer design , any one remember which one ? Senior moment !
Old 27-11-2013, 10:22   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Alaska 43? They were on my short list at one point. I really like almost everything Brewer and Wallstrom drew.
Old 27-11-2013, 10:28   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yeah, I like Ted's work a lot. Can't afford much of it.

Super guy too.
Old 27-11-2013, 12:48   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Nice stout vessel, well laid out and really not that expensive for what it is.
One person asked why I added wear patches to the knees on my foulies, I told them they last longer when your crawling up the deck on your hands and knees. try testing the shroud access that way. Head down so you don't get a face full of water.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:21   #10

Did any one compare brewer 44 vs. Kelley Peterson 44? Similar price range.. Pro/Cons?

Tags
Brewer, rigging

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: