Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 01:01   #16

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Boy am I confused and lost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
It's simply an observation.
There are certainly more reasons owners of the so called expensive brand names like PSC love their boats... maybe they are just really great boats.

The OP illustrated this point in his question he had owned several boats but the one he pines after is the PSC 34.

I can relate to him because none of my other boats were in anywhere the same league in terms of build quality, design and downright beauty.

I think he is going to be happy on the Southern Cross. I think if he buys the Tartan after owning a PSC he is always going to be "seeing" flaws real or imagined.

Sent from my Ideos using Tapatalk 2
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:43   #17

These two are very unconfused.
They know.
snaggletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 20:19   #18

Boat: Tartan 37c

You know... I love this stuff, all the back and forth and opinions and cantankerous replies! Truly, makes me smile and I really do appreciate the feed back. I am down to a Southern Cross 31 (due to draft and significantly less cost) and the Tartan 37 (hoping it surveys out alright). How can I be torn between two such different boats? a bit nuts...I am located in near Deltaville Va and would have to bring the Tartan all the way to the Keys..long trip under power I imagine if I go icw.... other SC 31 is in florida. easy run down one coast and up the other. Thanks everyone for the fun posts.. more in a day when I have final thoughts!
etbdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 22:10   #19

On our recent run down the East Coast we kept bumping into a late 20 something guy named Jared on SC 31. Met him in Charleston and kept bumping in to him all the way down to Marathon.

He did the whole trip outside, probably because he could not afford the fuel to motor it. He left Charleston with us when we jumped down to Brunswick, GA. The only boats that left that afternoon were a Westsail 32, a huge BVI flagged yacht, him and us. Speaks to the confidence those strong boats lend you.

Jared was a great sailor and that boat looked good and was fast. But oh was it small. Takes special cruising couple to do that. Sure your wife is on board with that?

Maybe the Tartan is better if it gets and keeps your wife on board.

We hauled out in Deltaville last year. Great little maritime town. Have you walked the yards there to see if there is a boat locally for sale that might meet your needs?

Old 06-02-2014, 05:48   #20

Boat: Tartan 37c

Poured over the yards here first. Close call on a Cape Dory 33, but condition was not equal to price over $ 55k. You are right, wife buys boat from inside out and likes the Tartan size better. I am more neutral, as costa are just so much less on a little boat. Wish I could still have my old PSC 34 and get the 4'1 draft!
etbdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:59   #21

There's a Cape Dory 36 listed for 65K in yachtworld. Don't know the condition, but it's in Deltaville, so it may be worth a look.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:08   #22

The Tartan is a pretty decent boat and has a history of offshore passage making. You could do a lot worse than a Tartan 37.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:47   #23

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

I see a Southern Cross 35 for $55k (asking) - and it looks well kept & sweet!

That would be my choice... Looks like a solid ride!

1982 Southern Cross 35 Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvTikiNotion
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 16:32   #24

We almost bought a Tartan 37 before we bought our PSC 34 but we got our offer in too late.

I don't think they hold up as well over time but if you buy one in great shape then it might be just OK. I think it is more important to keep wifey happy than get your dream boat.

We bought the PSC 34 because wifey instantly fell in love with it. There was an Alberg for less than half the price I might have been happy with. But in the end wifey is still on the boat and thats what matters.

Old 06-02-2014, 17:53   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

As the list of "must haves" on the wifes list increased the size went up, eventually ending in a 47' CC, is it more than I would prefer to mainatin? Sure it is, but she'a all in with cruising for an extended period on it so it all works out in the end.
If the queen ain't happy, nobodies happy.
I used to listen to my inner voice, now I have an outer voice to listen to, I've gotten smarter with age.
Listen carefully to the wife's suggestions.
My wife is also a social person, many stops to do, as well as an SSB to maintain contacts. There have to be compromises in both directions if smooth sailing is the goal.
I also like the PSC.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 19:32   #26

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkayak View Post
At some point in time PSC moved from California to North Carolina. Consequently, there are many nice PSC 34's and 37's to see in an around Beaufort, (Bo-Fort) NC. It's worth a trip down I-95.
That's a very recent move and I don't think they have actually made many in NC. The used ones you see in the market were most likely made in CA.
Old 06-02-2014, 21:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
We almost bought a Tartan 37 before we bought our PSC 34 but we got our offer in too late.

I don't think they hold up as well over time but if you buy one in great shape then it might be just OK. I think it is more important to keep wifey happy than get your dream boat.

We bought the PSC 34 because wifey instantly fell in love with it. There was an Alberg for less than half the price I might have been happy with. But in the end wifey is still on the boat and thats what matters.

Now that you've approved both of the two boats that the OP asked about, could you tell us again how you feel about the PSC 34?

Old 06-02-2014, 21:44   #28

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbdjr View Post
....My favorite past boat of the 12 I have owned....
12!

I am SO glad you posted this. I am feeling MUCH better about my boat history now. Thank you!

Matt.

P.S. I know nothing about the boats you are considering except that I am biased towards the Pacific Seacraft because they remind me so much of our dear old Swanson. So one ill informed vote for the PSC. Whatever you buy, may it bring a much longer period of boat-satisfaction than it appears some of the others have achieved.
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 21:59   #29

Remember a few posts ago when I mentioned the possibility that people are biased towards their own boats, or boats similar to their own boats?

Old 06-02-2014, 22:40   #30

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Remember a few posts ago when I mentioned the possibility that people are biased towards their own boats, or boats similar to their own boats?

Guilty as charged.
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost