Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2012, 12:55   #1

Bow Thruster

I have posted this question before and really didn't get anywhere. So I'm trying again. I have a hydraulic lamborgini bow thruster. it no workie. Does anyone know anything about them? I need the hydraulic pump, controls, hoses as it seems everything has been removed on the past. Maybe it was removed because it was ineffective? that just occurred to me....
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 13:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Bow Thruster

You might find it cheaper and simpler to rip it out and replace it with an electric one. Hydraulic is generally better, but you might be looking at vast expense to reconstruct the old one you have. Electric is good enough, straightforward, cheap.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 13:36   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Lamborgini didn't make the bow thruster, they made the hydraulic motor that drives the bow thruster.
IMHO your best bet is to remove the lambo motor and find a hydraulic shop to match a parker or similar brand motor to it, then have them spec and supply you with an electric or PTO pump, hosing, shuttle valve.....etc....to make the system complete. Drive the thing off of the generator and call it done.

Or as another option, if you're into DIY type stuff. Go to a golfcart supplier and fit an electric motor in the hydraulic motor's place. Or buy a three phase AC electric motor and fit a single phase -> three phase ac speed controller to it.

My point in all of this rambling is that what you have is just one step above nothing, so you may as well start at zero and get something reliable put together.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 13:58   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

not sure, certainly in Eurup Lambo are a fairly big hydraulics company, ( they are a big tractor company), don't know about their distribution in the states.

changing the whole bow thruster is a big job as the tube opening could be wrong.

Most precision hydraulic shops should be able to fix your hydraulic motor, talk to your local fishermen. or else replace with similar like parker ( mooting bases are generally standardized)

BTW how do you know its not working, it could be any component in the hydraulics, from pump through to motor.
Dave
Old 21-05-2012, 13:59   #5

Thanks Sail monkey, now that is some good information. I like to think I am a bit of a diy type and that gives me some options. So I can remove the drive motor and take it to a hydraulic shop and go from there. I like that approach. I've thought about going electric but that involved switching the entire thing out, which required a new tunnel, haul out ect. This gives me some ideas. From what I've been able to gather I need a pump that operates at about 3000 psi and around 7 gal per min. I would prefer hydraulic so I have longer use times. Nothing happens fast on this boat.
Old 21-05-2012, 14:01   #6

Dave,
The only part of the system that I have is the installed thruster the rest of the system is MIA!
Old 21-05-2012, 14:08   #7

oops hit the send button early. so it might work perfectly I just dont know until I install the rest of the system and fire it up. sizing all the other parts is the issue. I think I have a plan now. step 1 remove hydraulic motor from thruster(didn't really know I could do that until now). step 2 take to hydraulic shop. step 3 should become clearer after that.
Old 21-05-2012, 14:15   #8
Nearly an old salt

Do you actually have the rest of the system, is that working

Dave
Old 21-05-2012, 14:16   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow
Do you actually have the rest of the system, is that working

Dave
He has nothing but the motor on the tunnel
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 14:44   #10
Nearly an old salt

If so dump it and buy electric and new tube etc. The pump alone will be more than an electric thruster
Old 21-05-2012, 14:55   #11
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Not necessarily. Plenty of hydraulic pumps for tractors etc. on auction sites and not expensive. I would first check if the hydraulic motor runs or can be made to run inexpensively. There is a lot to say for not having to make long runs of heavy thick wire to the bow, or not having to place an extra battery there.

Besides, the OP's boat is 60ft. It is a job for a 24V high power electric thruster, or.. a hydraulic one.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 14:58   #12
Nearly an old salt

By the time you assemble a reliable power pack usually electrically driven pumps or off the engine, ( which can be an engineering nightmare) , it works out very expensive. Good old electric motors, much cheaper rewind em anywhere.
Old 21-05-2012, 16:38   #13

I do have the mounting bracket in front of the motor and an extra pully on the fly wheel. I also have an electric windlass up front with one battery already on a hundred watt charger. I guess my biggest issue with going electric was that I thought I needed to go with a named system. but if you think I can go generic and fit a motor to the existing head and not have to change out the tunnel or haul the boat then I may explore that option as well.
Old 21-05-2012, 17:05   #14
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
I do have the mounting bracket in front of the motor and an extra pully on the fly wheel. I also have an electric windlass up front with one battery already on a hundred watt charger. I guess my biggest issue with going electric was that I thought I needed to go with a named system. but if you think I can go generic and fit a motor to the existing head and not have to change out the tunnel or haul the boat then I may explore that option as well.

No in general I meant hydraulic motors can be interchangeable , The electric ones are unlikely to fit, but nothing a good machine shop couldn't fix. Certainly unless you have all the hydraulic power pack stuff already, electric is going to be much cheaper and easier to maintain. companies like Sleipner make suitable motors.
Old 21-05-2012, 17:58   #15

Boat: grampian 26
Lightbulb Re: Bow Thruster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post

Have you considered how much more elecrtical power you will need to run the thing? To redo the hydraulics you are looking at a pump, motor, lines and some kind of control valve. My suggestion is; price it both ways and then decide.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote