Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 13:27   #1

Boat: Catalina 25 Tall Rig
Bow Spirit c25t

hello everyone,
I am thinking of building a bow spirit for my c25t, but have read a lot that it would be a big pain to make it function with the rigging so it would end up being a pretty anchor holder. anyway, i was wondering if you guys could help me come up with ways to design/build it. i really like the look of the older boats with the bow spirit and lots of wood. Thanks.

pictures would be awesome.
laxaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 14:49   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: bow spirit c25t

Aloha,
You've got a great little sloop there that was designed to perform best without a bowsprit. If you want the sprit to be functional to get you forestay out further to hang a sail onto then you'll need the following in addition to the aluminum or wood sprit itself; bobstay fitting at the waterline, cransiron for the end of the sprit, whisker stay fittings on the hull and a longer forestay. Each of the whisker stays will have to have a turnbuckle and a couple of toggles along with the wire. The bobstay wire will be an extra size up from your forestay so will have to be a larger turnbuckle and toggles as well. If you want it to look good you'll need a new bow pulpit to reach the end of your sprit.
To see what you might be getting into go down to any marina with large boats and you can see them upfront and personal. Not certain what you might have in your area to see but it would be worth a trip to a large body of water just to get a look.
Check out some of the older boat building books at your public library and they'll have some ideas and thoughts.
If you check the photo in my personal photo you can see a young lady perched on the bowsprit of my old boat.
kind regards,
Old 01-05-2011, 15:22   #3

Boat: Catalina 25 Tall Rig
Re: bow spirit c25t

i think what im looking for is more of a cosmetic project. Mainly just to hold the anchor and make the boat a little better looking to me. Thats about it.
laxaholic is offline   Reply With Quote