I finally brought it back to Miami
. I reinforced the tip on the mast with epoxy
and unidirectional carbon fiber. I changed the forestay. I did this while moored by lowering the furler
into a dingy followed by a paddle board and a second dingy at the end. It never touched the water
and took it to shore to be measured and that way was able to change the 5/16" cable and reusing the stay locks. In reverse back to the sailboat.
I departed on Saturday afternoon being tower by a friend out the inlet and off I went. I wasn't aware a northeastern was just starting to roll in. When I had cleared the coastline it was already night time. I tacked using only one which we the right side was stuck. I tried reefing the jib
using the same winch
which proved the be an error as the lines tangled and by the time I sorted things out the jib had a v shaped tear on the luff side. I decided to ease the pressure reefed the jib and carried on. The following seas and thunderstorms were about everywhere and for my little experience sailing it was a bit worrying. I then noticed the lines were desintegrating, the outer core
was gone on the left sideline so I managed to change lines for good ones while on way by reefing the jib. Luckily the wind
had eased after the first set of storms. I went on sailing with a torn reefed jib until the wind
had eased enough that I decided to take a nap because l was exhausted. At 4 am a huge tug boat trolling a gigantic barge woke me up and rolled by me so close. I ate a little and carried on. The wind started picking up on Sunday and the front was alive with 20 mile wind and 9 ft following seas, but the Bounty never lost
course. It felt really safe and by now my confidence in it had been reassured. I made it to Miami
Monday afternoon. When I reached Haulover I decided to open the full jib and my speed increased to 7 mph. I had a reading of 9 mph at one point, I guess with the help of the following waves. This boat really felt as a roadster as Don said. I couldn't be happier with it and now I know what I needs to be improved to make it safer and more comfortable.