Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2008, 13:22   #1

Boat: catalina 1985 30 -Hello over there
Bought a Boat with No Experience?

i just bought a 1985 30 foot catalina in New york
i know have the challenge of bringing it south with little experience
i was hoping for tips or someone in new york that could teach me how to sail
that is in brooklyn new york, will pay for your time

any help is welcome
beetlejuice30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 13:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Congratulations on your new boat and welcome to the forum!

Get some sailing lessons from a good sailing school. That really is the best way of gaining some knowledge and experience, which will help you stay alive. Don't even think about taking off over the horizon just yet.

Be sure to hire a marine surveyor to have a look for any potential problems before getting underway.

Consider hiring a professional delivery captain with lots of experience to deliver your boat to your southern destination with you coming along for the ride in order to learn from a professional and gain a little experience.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 13:47   #3

where would i find a good delivery captain
i have had a survey done i need to replace water impeller and fuel filter boat is in good condition new sails new universal diesel engine
i have all charts, chips, tools, needed i hope
Old 23-10-2008, 13:48   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
David's advice is good stuff. Take the lessons, and get in some sailing. What you are about to do isn't like driving a car. There are times you just can't pullover to fix the flat

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ice-20095.html

Take a couple of hours, and read this thread. It is some really good insight to what can happen with little, or no experience. I am not trying to discourage you, but sailing isn't always a slick magazine cover....take the lessons, and best wishes in getting south.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 13:52   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice30 View Post
where would i find a good delivery captain
i have had a survey done i need to replace water impeller and fuel filter boat is in good condition new sails new universal diesel engine
i have all charts, chips, tools, needed i hope
Call around to some of the yacht clubs and the boat yards in your area. They know who the good captains are. Check in the local boating magazines and ask the captains for their sailing resume and references. Have the captain you are considering take you sailing for at least a few hours to see if you get along, even if you have to pay him a little something for his time.

When the delivery captain comes on board, ask him if your boat is in suitable condition for a delivery.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 14:26   #6

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Congratulations on your purchase. Those Catalina 30's are just fantastic boats. Sounds like it is in good condition too. Nothing to add that hasn't been provided earlier. Just get next to someone with some real experience and learn everything. If you haven't yet been in a high wind situation, you will defintitely want a mentor who can keep you and your boat safe - and also show you how much she can take if sailed sensibly.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 14:33   #7

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Hiring a delivery skipper to sail from NY to FL will be more expensive than putting it on a truck. The skipper will want at least one experienced crew, which is an extra charge.

If you live in FL, my advice is to put the boat on a truck. Then hire someone to sail the boat with you from the launching ramp to your mooring or dock. Then take lessons.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 14:33   #8

any one wont to be my mentor got a week in a beach condo in cape canaveral Florida for trade or cash
Old 23-10-2008, 14:34   #9

Form NY TO norfork Virgina
Old 23-10-2008, 14:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice30 View Post
Form NY TO norfork Virgina
Well that's a little more reasonable, but I bet the truck is still cheaper.

I've hired a professional to sail my boat with me from Maine to Rhode Island next spring, and I've been sailing for 40+ years. But never in a boat with a diesel engine or electronics of any sort.

I view it as a playing lesson.
Old 23-10-2008, 15:11   #11

what is a good shipping company and do they take the mast down or is that extra
Old 23-10-2008, 15:21   #12

Others here may be able to recommend a reputable shipper. You can get a quote over the web. I'm not sure who is responsible for lowering the mast, but someone has to do it.
Old 26-10-2008, 05:09   #13
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Most shipping outfits provide the truck and the labor to fasten it securely to the truck. You have to pay a boatyard to get the boat ready for shipment and get it on the truck via travelift or crane. And then you pay a yard at destination to take it off and recommission it.

If it was me, I wouldn't want to pass up the chance of taking a trip like that. Even if the cost was double, you'll be getting experience making a trip with a professional. If you were planning to do it by yourself (and there are many who post in here proposing to do just that, with no experience), I would be responding with dire warnings (as would others). People have no idea what's involved and don't know what needs to be done to prepare a boat for a 500 mile trip.

But since you want to hire a captain, that solves two problems. The captain will be there for you if things get interesting, and a captain won't do the trip if the boat isn't ready. Unless trucking the boat is significantly cheaper and the money is an issue for you, I'd say go for the cruise. When will you have a chance like that again? You'll learn what a real trip is like. Then you'll have a good understanding of what you need to learn from sailing instruction. I think it'll make you a better student.

Just weigh the options and decide what makes most sense for you.

-dan

Edit: "fasten securely to the trailer"? As opposed to fastening insecurely? What I was thinking when I typed that was, most boat transport companies do the blocking, etc so the boat can be carried. But that's something you should clarify when talking to them. Make sure you know what's included. The rate they quote could possibly depend on you having a cradle for the boat. Most, however, include the blocking in their price. As a matter of fact, many have special trailers just for sailboats, with adjustable supports to make the job easier.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 05:33   #14

Boat: nebe cape 28
yep take the trip on the boat it will be great learning for you along the way. Do your home work picking a skipper.
Old 26-10-2008, 08:04   #15

Boat: Watkins 27
What I would do.
I would find me a ASA school down south, fly down, take their combine course. ASA 101, 103, and 104. The course in Corpus Christi is around $1400.00 then come back home. Outfit my boat and sail south. There is always someone looking to crew south. I see them all the time on forums.

This would give you the experience to handle your boat. Cheaper in the long run than a delivery captain. They run $250 and up per day along with the cost of a crew member plus air fare back up north. A delivery captain will want to get the trip over. You might just want to enjoy the trip down and do some sight seeing along the way. From what I understand it is a wonderful trip.

Fair winds and have fun. Wish it was me doing the trip.

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote