Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2017, 13:30   #1

Boat: 1990 Nonsuch 30
Bottom painter near Anacortes WA

Hi there, I just purchased my first sailboat (a Nonsuch 26) and it's currently hauled out at Lopez Island, near Anacortes. Unfortunately the yard said they didn't think a new coat would hold unless it was stripped, and they didn't have the proper tools to do that. So now they want to relaunch the boat and I'd have to take it elsewhere.

I'm wondering if anyone in this area knows an insured painter who would be able to handle this job while it's still hauled. Also based on the photo I've attached, does it indeed look like work is needed beyond a simple sand and new coat?

Thanks
-Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170207_111639.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	141473  
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 13:38   #2

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Bottom painter near Anacortes WA

Unfortunately I can not provide info about the paint job, but off-topic ... Anacortes is beautiful! Enjoy sailing the Sound. Check out Jones Island State Park. Stay out of Deception Pass
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 13:45   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

just grab a sander and get started. a Nonsuch 26 isn't that big a hull
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 14:05   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Anacortes should be the place to find someone to do it for you if any. If not tackle it yourself cause the yard will most likely pay a labourer to strip and paint it anyways. Looks like multiple layers of paint not bonding. This could probably wait until your next haul or when you have time, then you can properly strip and fair it out (but that could just be multiple layers of paint, hard to tell from picture). Give it a good cleaning and drop it back in IMO
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 20:25   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, all that paint needs to come off, and if you hire it done, you'll be astounded at how many $100/hrs. it will take someone else to do it for you. Now is the time for you to tackle it. You can try sanding it, but be sure to stop as soon as you get to the gelcoat. If you can recognize its first coat of primer, stop there, and remove the primer with stripper, so as to not gouge the hull's gelcoat. Once stripped, and cleaned, you can start with your paint coats.

Find out what others are using in your area that works for the same kind of usage you anticipate. Prime with the recommended primer for your chosen paint.

Good luck with it.

Doing this kind of work for yourself will save you a lot of money over the years, if you really like sailing. Later on, if you become physically unable to do it, that's another question, altogether, and there's no shame in hiring help. Doing it now will help you to evaluate whether someone's going to do a good job, yourself having made notes of how long it took you, [if the estimate is only for 2 hrs. labor you'll know it can't be done by hand in that time], and you will know better exactly what you are paying for.

It is the preparation that takes the most time, after that, you can do other jobs while the layers of paints dry. It's a great time to lubricate through hulls, replace zincs, use Prop Speed on the prop, or install a new one. Also a good time to renew old hoses, repack the packing gland, and so on, like your heat exchanger and that cracked mixing elbow. If the boat is to be insured, have the company send their guy while you are on the hard, to avoid paying for another haulout. Just check everything while still in the slings or railway (while she is floating on her lines) just before you back out into the water.

"Start as you wish to continue."

However, if you are not ready to do all your haulout jobs yet, or do not have enough time, let the yard slap on some paint, and it will probably tide you over till you can do it all. Imho, it's a waste of funds to have to do it that way.

Ann
Old 18-02-2017, 08:27   #6

BUMS (aka bottomsupmarineservice) in Port Townsend. 360-301-5921.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 08:56   #7

Boat: Alden 44

Give Jensen's Shipyard in Friday Harbor a call. They have been rated very friendly to DIY, and also do bottom painting. They are close to you and could advise on you elbow problem too. Alisa at 360.378.4343
GregW1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 10:12   #8

Boat: Islander 37

Iam a fan of port Townsend lets you do as much of prep you can stay on boat during work. fair winds
patrick brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 10:28   #9

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Well if you can hold off until Spring I will be doing the same thing myself in Sky Line Marina a DYS yard. Maybe we can work out a joint project. Or sail over to BC there are a lot of good yards there and a bit cheaper. I do what I can myself then let the Canadians help with the hard stuff. The Canadian mechanics seem to be better trained and great people. Don't worry about Trump as the Canadians are North Americans also. A lot of us seem to have forgotten that.

Deception Pass, just watch the tides and enter, flood or ebb on slack water or within 1/2 of slack and you should not have any problem. Just keep your wits about you maybe a person up forward to watch for dead heads. I have SAILED through with the wind at my back, full spinnaker and solo. That was a blast. The first time I went through with the ebb I followed another sailboat, a local and he took me through the canoe passage on the North end. That was a blast also as there is a huge covered rock just on the West side. No problem just a few whirlpools to deal with both sides. Enter those on the side flowing out and they will keep you safe and out of the vortex. Then Sail on!
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 16:12   #10

Boat: Fraser 42 ft Center cockpit sloop

I'm currently hauled out in Anacortes and needing to do a bottom job come spring. My yard does not allow DYS and reading the earlier recommendation for Skyline, they don't allow you to live aboard while working on your boat, restricted to their working hours??? and a lot of detailed environmental expense that may not be quite so extensive in Canada or elsewhere.

I don't expect to ignore environmental good practices anywhere I go but so far think Port Townsend or Port Angeles seem to be a lot more boater friendly. Will update when I find out more. Shop for a vacum sander beforehand because the last minute cost will always be much higher in small towns, ditto visqueen and sanding discs and your bottom paint. Avoiding Laydays is always a good idea also. They add up fast. Remember: "not all the pirates are in Somalia" some of them run boatyards!
Hyrdflyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint