Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 14:31   #16

Boat: Seawind1160
Re: Boom vang recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
9. Topping lift doesn't use up sheave that could be spare halyard.
Mine doesn't use up a sheave. Fixed at top it's adjustment is in the boom.
Old Thread but great lateral thinking. Never come across it before and I suspect its rarely done.

Reduces complexity and weight at the top of mast for no reduction in functionality that I can see. So why so uncommon?

On a similar vein I have also wondered why halyard locks (reasonably failsafe ones) are not more often used - needing only lighter line to haul up (plus in case of foresail a tensioning device vicinity of deck level). Halves the halyard mast compression load -a win win.

This sort of tidbit idea would be great if all collected together on some sort of (moderated?) dedicated thread.
philocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 15:23   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by otya View Post
Old Thread but great lateral thinking. Never come across it before and I suspect its rarely done.

Reduces complexity and weight at the top of mast for no reduction in functionality that I can see. So why so uncommon?

On a similar vein I have also wondered why halyard locks (reasonably failsafe ones) are not more often used - needing only lighter line to haul up (plus in case of foresail a tensioning device vicinity of deck level). Halves the halyard mast compression load -a win win.

This sort of tidbit idea would be great if all collected together on some sort of (moderated?) dedicated thread.
Hmmm.... my experience is that the opposite is more rare.... most all my big boats had the fixed top style with two part adjustment at the boom. In fact 2 out of 4 were actually wire topping lifts from the top to near the boom...maybe it's a small boat/big boat thing?
Lighter line on a halyard would just be harder on the hands IMO. I guess I dont understand "halyard Lock"... you mean a stopper on the mast..? Trying to figure how the compression on the mast is less....? If the mast is used to haul the sail up... there's compression on it....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 16:39   #18

I prefer twin main halyards. One can be used for a topping lift. Had the sanding wire topper on one boat. Didn't like it slapping on the sail.

Standing dedicated toppers are good if there is not a rigid vang.

Halyard locks are found on fancy race boats. They tend to be unreliable. Or they simply (?) hoist a foredeck guy up to spike it open.

The halyard lock halves the load because there is no halyard pulling down on the masthead. Just the sail's head load. But mast loading is not a typical problem for cruisers.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 18:13   #19

Boat: Seawind1160

Well i stand corrected, not that I've ever really looked specifically on other boats but both my Adams40 and previously a Dunk 35' had the topping lift turning sheave on the top of mast not fixed at top.

0ne advantage of the t lift on the mast type is it can replace the main halyard should you lose the primary one, all other potential halyards awkwardly face forwards. So not really swayed either way - a bit like the anchor debates.

Getting off topic now but any normal halyard load doubles its load as compression on mast as both the up and down portions are under same tension . A Halyard lock or stopper system only has the down tension with sail in use and usually lighter load when hauling. Admittedly halyards have much less tension than standing rigging so perhaps of limited benefit anyway and certainly not for a retrofit.
philocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 20:11   #20

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Considered Vang Master till I realized their tech support was not going to call me back after two months. Now considering a Garhauer.
Brezent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 05:49   #21

Boat: Adams 28, 8.7m

I have a Barton Boom Strut with a regular vang and cannot see that any other system would be better. Total easy control, compared to previous, gas struts, topping lifts etc.
Patrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 20:18   #22

Boat: Van De Stadt 42' steel

I have a hydraulic boom vang on a 43' Van De Stadt.

The boom vang will support the weight of the boom, eliminating the need for a topping lift.

Cool ah...

I'm not sure if it even works as I'm yet to sail her.

In few weeks time I hope to finally set sail...
cruizn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:56   #23

I've got the Vang and the topping lift, but since I usually single hand everything, i rarely if ever touch either. In this is because topping lift is fixed at the mast and the vang is controlled from the cockpit, which makes adjusting it cumbersome since i can't adjust one and the other at the same time, but have to move about.

I understand that using vang in heavy wind can be beneficial to flatten the sail, but to be honest I also haven't had much need to play with it since I'm able to get hull speed without adjusting it.

I still consider myself to be a novice and know that I could sail better with more practice and more refined sailing technique
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boom vang