Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-02-2015, 18:25   #1

Boat: Bristol 35
book of boat brands and models

Hubby has requested I get his a book of boats- like one of his books on guns. He wants a book that has specifics for different brands and models- length, draft, displacement, type of keel etc. I have queried the internet, searched on this forum and have not come across such a book. Does anyone know of such a book?

Old 08-02-2015, 18:32   #2

Boat: Hylas 49, 25 ft O'day Fixed Keel
Re: book of boat brands and models

We recently purchased our last boat. I have a number of those type books we used to find our boat. I would cut you a great deal if you are interested in them. I can send you titles if you are interested in them.

Old 08-02-2015, 18:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezonBD View Post
We recently purchased our last boat. I have a number of those type books we used to find our boat. I would cut you a great deal if you are interested in them. I can send you titles if you are interested in them.
I sent you a PM. I am interested.
Old 08-02-2015, 19:26   #4

SAILBOATDATA.COM might be a help. Click on each boat and further info about that boat is given. Tim
Old 09-02-2015, 04:35   #5

Boat: Comet 41s

I assume he means contemporary boats? boats in production?

Some boat magazines do that about once a year, I mean European ones. The only one he can get on line with that is a French one. I will point him to the last 3 editions of that type of stuff. Most of the boats there are still on the market and he would get a pretty good idea of what is on offer at the market. Lots of sail tests too.

He can download it here:

Voile Magazine | Buy Single Issues | Revistas e livros digitais do Zinio

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:02   #6

Thanks, Sailboatdata is a good source but I need a book- a physical book(s).
Hubby is computer "adverse" so I need to find real live hold in your hand books for him. What are good sailboat magazines that I subscribe to for him- I think he would like that as well. English and spanish would work.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Hubby has requested I get his a book of boats- like one of his books on guns. He wants a book that has specifics for different brands and models- length, draft, displacement, type of keel etc. I have queried the internet, searched on this forum and have not come across such a book. Does anyone know of such a book?
SAILING A SERIOUS OCEAN by John Kretschmer. Especially "25 Sailboats for a Serious Ocean" starting on pg. 59 (Full discloser: In my youth, starting on retirement at age 65, I sailed the first boat recommended solo across the N. and S. Atlantics. Also have met and sailed with the author). This is one of the best, most educational, most compact and most enjoyable I have ever read for any sailor.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:50   #8

Quote:
Thanks, Sailboatdata is a good source but I need a book- a physical book(s).
Hubby is computer "adverse" so I need to find real live hold in your hand books for him. What are good sailboat magazines that I subscribe to for him- I think he would like that as well. English and spanish would work.
That book does not exist. Sorry, but that's the reality.

Most folks would recommend going to the internet, 'cuz that's where the information is. Sorry again, but if your husband can't/won't/chooses not to do so, then the burden is on you.

There are production boats that are still in production. There are many popular ones that are no longer being made. Some recently ceased production, some many years ago. For example, our builder stopped making my boat maybe five years ago. Their website "hides" those older boats in an "Archives Brochure" section of their website.

You might have to bite the bullet and recognize you have a daunting task ahead of yourself, OR you could simply explain the reality to him.

Good luck.

Maybe YOU could write the book. In many cases throughout life, if there isn't a certain product, there hasn't been a perceived need for it.

Perhaps you could also narrow down your criteria: ALL boats is incredibly too large a request-narrow it down to more obtainable results: different sizes, types (offshore, coastal???), still being built, age, etc.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:56   #9

Boat: Alajuela 38

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=sailboats

On amazon...lots and lots of books
You do not ask a tame seagull why it needs to disappear from time to time toward the open sea. It goes, thatís all. People who do not know that a sailboat is a living creature will never understand anything about boats and the sea.
NoShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post
Thank you, I did a few searchs and ordered a couple books. Your list is more comprehensive and I've added a couple of those as well.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
That book does not exist. Sorry, but that's the reality.

Most folks would recommend going to the internet, 'cuz that's where the information is. Sorry again, but if your husband can't/won't/chooses not to do so, then the burden is on you.

There are production boats that are still in production. There are many popular ones that are no longer being made. Some recently ceased production, some many years ago. For example, our builder stopped making my boat maybe five years ago. Their website "hides" those older boats in an "Archives Brochure" section of their website.

You might have to bite the bullet and recognize you have a daunting task ahead of yourself, OR you could simply explain the reality to him.

Good luck.

Maybe YOU could write the book. In many cases throughout life, if there isn't a certain product, there hasn't been a perceived need for it.

Perhaps you could also narrow down your criteria: ALL boats is incredibly too large a request-narrow it down to more obtainable results: different sizes, types (offshore, coastal???), still being built, age, etc.
I should have said monohull sailboat book but I thought I'd posted in the monohull thread- sorry. As for the other info it will all depend on the boat- age doesn't matter as long as it's sound and good.

I've yet to determine difference between offshore and coastal- is it off shore if you do passages under a week long? or is coastal only if you never do any overnight passages? I've told hubby no we aren't going to alaska- that's a different type of boat and I"m not storing cold weather clothes. Other than than we're open. We know we want draft under 6' for Caribbean sailing. Think we want full keel but yet to be decided. Hubs is a reading kind of guy that will research and think and look and think. Since he's now semi retired spending his days hunting and fishing I've tasked him with doing a lot of the readi I was trying to do in the evenings and weekends.
He is very computer literate- he's an engineer- but he prefers real books so I want to keep him happy
Me write a book- no thanks- I am learning as I go.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:46   #12

Boat: Alajuela 38

Quote:
Thank you, I did a few searchs and ordered a couple books. Your list is more comprehensive and I've added a couple of those as well.
Bikers & Boaters, gotta do what we can for each other. Wish ya well in your search for the "one". Here are some to salivate over, Full List of Sailboats
You do not ask a tame seagull why it needs to disappear from time to time toward the open sea. It goes, thatís all. People who do not know that a sailboat is a living creature will never understand anything about boats and the sea.
NoShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:02   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

For the drool factor - The World's Best Sailboats: A Survey by Ferenc Mate. Great photagraphy and decent technical information. The marine business is such a diversely structured world-wise endeavor in constant change that you will never find a Sears Roebuck catalogue. So rev up the Amazon account and get going.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-02-2015, 12:07   #14

Quote:
Hubs is a reading kind of guy that will research and think and look and think.............
He is very computer literate- he's an engineer- but he prefers real books so I want to keep him happy
Me, too!

You have a LOT of options and now some good input.

You might want to do a search on this forum on "bluewater" which will begin (but never end) the discussions about that definition, and will also alert you to some boats that may not be in the books you can find.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:11   #15

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

http://www.amazon.com/Seaworthy-Offs...rds=john+vigor

Amazon.com: Twenty Affordable Sailboats To Take You Anywhere eBook: Gregg Nestor, John Vigor, John Vigor: Kindle Store

http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Small-S...rds=john+vigor

Try these from an illustrious author who posts on this forum.

Tags
model

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: