Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 11:33   #16

Re: book of boat brands and models

All of these may be a bit dated but if you're looking at a used boat would be helpful. One I this is called Mauch's Sailboats Guide and it has 4 or more volumes. Not sure how updated it is. Another one is "A field guide to sailboats" by R. M. Sherwood. My 2nd edition is 20 years old, not sure if they have newer editions. Another one which came in handy was Practical Sailor's "Complete Book of boat buying", also oldie but lots of pertinent info in 2 volumes, especially stuff you would not get in an industry ad-driven magazine blurb review.

Of the 3 Mauch probably has more boats listed but not very detailed, just overall info and specs. The PS one is more detailed and the Field Guide is in between.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:34   #17

Practical Sailor published a multi volume series that is as close as anything I know of to being what hubby has asked for. Titled Practical Boat Buying, by Belvoir Publications. I have Volumes 1 & 2, both published 1999, so obviously not quite up to date. Vol 1 covers boats 20' to 34', and Vol 2, 34' to 64'. Gives summary specs and about two pages of commentary for each boat covered, along with some information on price history on the new and used markets. Doesn't cover every boat made, but each volume covers about 80 of the better known manufacturers and models. At the end, gives a few useful chapters on how to buy a boat, pitfalls in the process, maintenance and a tiny bit on gear and safety. Through a booksellers mistake, I have two copies of Volume 2. If you're interested in becoming the owner of one of them, PM me.
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:54   #18

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post
Bikers & Boaters, gotta do what we can for each other. Wish ya well in your search for the "one". Here are some to salivate over, Full List of Sailboats
Thank you, great site! I will be looking at this site myself.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:12   #19

"Mauch's Sailboat Guide, Specifications, interiors, illustrations on over 400 new and used sailboats"
There are 3 or 4 volumes each with hundreds of boats per volume so there are a 1000 or so altogether.
ISBN NUMBER 0-9642621-2-6
Web site was Mauch's Sailboat Guide
Hope this helps.
Will
wmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model