Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 02:08   #1

Boat: kayak
Bombigher - Shpountz is a good idea?

Hi Everybody!

Great to join Your forum, I'm the original landlubber. Decided to sat sail, bound to somewhere, round the Globe.
My dreams are advanced (days by day ) - thinking about the sailing (and liveaboard).
My first question is:
What do you think about Bombigher Shpountz (especially Shpountz 38-40 or 40-44)? Are they good enough to the long distance offshore cruising, how easy to handling them?
The Shpountzs, classic yacht design
I'm a bit too romantic personality - and the Daniel Bombigher's sailboats are fitting to my dreams...
Has any reality a Shpountz for an escaped landlubber?

Thanks for every advices!
Landlubber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 14:23   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Bombigher - Shpountz is a good idea?

I have never sailed on a Shpountz but I have been in one, once, after helping the owners to dock her. She is still for sale in Brest, France: Shpountz 38/40 Amateur +professionnels VOILIERS Dériveur
At 150000€, this isn't really expensive, considering how much wood has been used.

However, I don't like the rake of both masts: this means that the mainsail and the foresail want to come back amidships if the wind isn't strong enough to push them outside.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 17:11   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Well, a boat is just a boat. The question is if YOU have what it takes. Skills, experience, passion.

There will be two masts, gaff rig, foresails on a longish bowsprit, barn rudder and what looks like a lifting centerboard. I think such a set up may imply plenty of work to keep her going.

And if yours is wood, expect relatively high number of maintenance hours.

They look pretty, I have seen two of them, I think. I might like them for a live-aboard and when sailing in a specific location. I would not like one for an extensive voyage. Then again, I will not be sailing your boat.

Why exactly this design then?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:03   #4

Thanks the quick answer!
No doubt for me, the main question is always captain, the screw.
I tried to read about the sialing of these kind of boats, but I found not so much (and do not know, are they unbasied).
Planète-Shpountz
I red something like that:
http://www.classic-yacht-design.com/...-40/44-40.html
The Shpountz "44-40" is above all a passage making sailing ship. She is a real marine home ...She is a yacht in her beauty and her function, but she has the power and strength of a real sailing trader. She is a generous sailing ship. She can navigate without limits, in all latitudes, non-stop! and she balks at no sea and no wind! She is not even afraid of cyclones! During one of my 2-year voyages I never saw a wave break on the deck once and I never had my bottom wet in the cockpit unless it was raining! ...
Her cruising speed is 8 knots to 12 knots maximum. The "44-40" is specially suited to the trade winds, ocean passages and big waves. She is very well balanced under sail, in both versions (with fixed keel or centerboard) and easy to handle even by a couple alone! She can be sailed with the tips of the fingers. It is true that she needs a certain amount of learning, such as reducing sails as the wind freshens: it's simply a question of dropping the top sails and then the sails at the ends and keeping the canvas in the center.

In other topics I red, that only one person can easily handling her (Shpountz 38-40/40-44).

One of my goals by this post is the question:
IS THIS TRUE?

On pictures and short videos these boats look great - LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!
https://www.facebook.com/LePelicanSa...912375/?type=1

But can they work as well - anytime, anywhere?

Thanks for Your advices!
Old 11-03-2015, 03:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Landlubber.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:26   #6

These are definitely NOT going to be easy boats to handle. At least, not when compared to a simple, modern sloop rig. I would not even try to sail one alone. In fact, I would probably want a crew of at least 3-4 to handle the larger ones.

Frankly, while I think they are very pretty boats, and would enjoy sailing on them, I would never recommend a boat like this for anyone but a very experienced sailor.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 13:49   #7

Landlubber,
Be careful: the author of "classic-yacht-design.com" is selling plans to build Shpoutnzes. Then, he has only praise for these boats.

The couple of middle-aged owners I met in Brest said it was OK to sail with only 2 people. They made good use of the engine. They didn't mention their annual budget for maintenance.

Before dreaming too much, I suggest you get some experience sailing on gaff-rigged yachts: they don't sail well to windward and the performance degrades when the wind increases, hoisting the sails require some muscle... But they are beautiful!

Alain
Old 12-03-2015, 00:20   #8

Hydra:

Merci pour le conseil, Alain!

That's why I decided to interview proficient sailors about these boats. No doubt, they looks fantastic. But are they really capable for crossing oceans in various conditions?
I tried to investigate on the web after them - but unfortunately found not so much useful and reliable information.
All the travelouges, pictures, videos made in sunny coast, while mooring in a peaceful bay - nowhere a real report (eg. videos) during gales, troubles...

Your right, these gaff riged schooners are indicated just for skilled sailors (so not for me - yet).

My goal was to measure, does worth to start building a Shpountz, while I start sailing lectures. Now I'm realizing - NO!

However I am looking forward curiously for Shpountz owners reports.
Because they are beautiful!

Thanks again!
Old 18-01-2016, 05:25   #9

Post Re: Bombigher - Shpountz is a good idea?

Hello,

it is almost one year since this thread is inactive and I don't know whether you have already started your project. However, if you are still interested in gaff rigged schooners, the summary at the link below could be useful:

What's The Ideal Sailing Rig?

By reading it you can learn why the typical schooner masts are raked and other useful bits.
It is authored by a gaff rigged boat designer but his own boat is a gaff rigged schooner. So if there is any bias, I believe it is a well-meant bias .
Anyway, the schooner has a fractional rig and, if properly dimensioned, it's not for sure that it will be more difficult to handle than a sloop rig, quite the contrary.

Cheers!
TopT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 13:15   #10

To all people who think that windward performance isn't important when voyaging, I suggest reading Roger Taylor's book "Voyages of a Simple Sailor". He tells how he was "embayed" in a gale on a brig that couldn't escape a lee shore.

Alain
Old 19-01-2016, 13:39   #11
cruiser

Performance to weather is vital.

Even John Alden (a real artist, in my opinion) eventually left the gaff-rigged schooner behind. And when he did, he left many wonderful vessels behind him!

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:51   #12

Thanks, I will look for this link! FWFS!
Old 04-07-2016, 15:00   #13

Boat: Shpountz 38/40

Hello

Is a Shpountz á good idea ?
That the best choice that I've made in my life.
I've á Shpountz since more than 4 years and i enjoy everyday on it.
For sure you can sail it alone. I crossed the Biscay 2 times alone.
I've sailed alone from Sanary to Blankenberge (2000 miles) in 20 days.
This is not á boat...but á real home where you feel always secure.
This are realy strong boats. I went on the rocks and with an other one I would not be here...
If you find a good one 150 000 is not much...

Greetings
Francois
Old 05-07-2016, 03:35   #14

Boat: no boat any more

"...If you find a good one 150 000 is not much......"

never mind age, building material, equipment, condition or length...
(some advice!!!)
first rule: only believe the bad things someone says about his own boat!!!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:02   #15

Boat: Shpountz 38/40

Hello

For sure you have to look at the boat...
And for advice is like all other boats... My only advice is that you should feel confortably when you step in the first time.
I've seen maybe 20 Shpountz before If ound mine. But the first time I've put my feet on it I knew that this would be my boat.

Francois