Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-03-2013, 08:35   #16

Boat: 38' French Cat
Great idea 3 warm people on board, perfect reason to tell the wife we need another scantily clad female on board help with the cooking and waxing etc (hey im doing all the mechanical and heavy lifting)
Think im switching to boat us.

Old 20-03-2013, 08:39   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Ranger 25 Tug
Re: BoatUS wants 3 people on board while cruising in Mexico?

Gosh, I think that it's wonderful that Boats R Us and virtually every other insurer around require 3 POBs for extended navigation. That leaves the other 99% of the voyagers, who cruise as couples, for us in our Jackline program.

Old 20-03-2013, 08:40   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Great idea 3 warm people on board, perfect reason to tell the wife we need another scantily clad female on board help with the cooking and waxing etc (hey im doing all the mechanical and heavy lifting)
Think im switching to boat us.
I'm pretty sure with the premium package with BoatUS they will supply your choice of a scantily clad crew member.
Old 20-03-2013, 08:44   #19

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Your point does not compute very well. Requiring three warm bodies onboard? What if all three have as much experience as your relative in your example? Three times zero is still zero.

As someone who does a lot of solo sailing I would point out that extra hands and eyes, even with little or no experience can be a big help. Sure I can set the auto pilot dead into the wind when raising the main sail but I often still need to run back to the wheel and make small corrections to keep the battens in the big square top from fouling in the lazy jacks or topping lift. I have had girls (not trying to be sexist here, there are lots of girls who know how to sail better than I do) with no sailing experience who are able to head the boat into the wind and make minor adjustments much better than any auto pilot. Same goes for things like going below to get a long sleeve shirt or weather gear">foul weather gear so I don't have to leave the wheel.

Not saying I do not enjoy single handing, just that extra hands often make sailing a lot easier; even if those hands are not experienced.
Old 20-03-2013, 08:54   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Jared1048, welcome to the forum.

So, is it all clear to you now
Old 20-03-2013, 09:18   #21
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I'm pretty sure with the premium package with BoatUS they will supply your choice of a scantily clad crew member.
damn now I will have to reconsider my carrier
Old 20-03-2013, 09:18   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I certainly would not want a policy that had any such qualifier. Even if one plans to have 3 on board, things can come up at the last minute. What is someone gets sick and you do an easy leg with just two people, and all of a sudden your insurance is no longer valid?

As a U.S. citizen two insurance brokerage companies I'd contact for coverage outside of U.S. are IMIS and Atlas.
Old 20-03-2013, 09:18   #23

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Boat US is in the business to make money while providing a service. Their policy requirement for 3 persons aboard for trips to Mexico really tells the consumer they're really not interested in providing that coverage unless certain criteria are met. The third person criteria is certainly absurd when the cruising couple or singlehander has extensive experience and an excellent track record for safety. So, as other respondants have mentioned, look for a company who IS in the business of providing insurance for international cruising or self insure if you have enough money to adequately cover and/all possible disasters. An added thought: in today's litigation happy world where lawsuits represent a lottery rather than a remedy for a grievance, one really rolls the dice in a very unfavourable way if a worst case scenario develops where one could potentially lose everything they have and more. Are you willing to risk everything to save a few dollars? Good luck and good sailing.
Old 20-03-2013, 09:34   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not saying I do not enjoy single handing, just that extra hands often make sailing a lot easier; even if those hands are not experienced.
Used to do deliveries and was always looking for crew, any crew. Did at least two trips with crew who had never before been on a sailboat.

Instructions to the crew:

1. Don't fall asleep on watch.
2. When you are on watch look all around the boat every few minutes.
3. Call me if you see or hear anything!!!
4. Call me if you think you see or hear anything or think you might see or hear anything.
5. When in doubt call me.
6. If I'm asleep, wake me up.
7. Don't think twice, call me anytime for anything or nothing.
8. If you aren't certain if you should call me, then call me.

Worked just fine
Old 20-03-2013, 09:34   #25

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
An added thought: in today's litigation happy world where lawsuits represent a lottery rather than a remedy for a grievance, one really rolls the dice in a very unfavourable way if a worst case scenario develops where one could potentially lose everything they have and more. Are you willing to risk everything to save a few dollars? Good luck and good sailing.
And this is why I carry just liability insurance on two boats and OBTW, we have a family umbrella policy just in case someone wants to play the lottery with us.

I view these insurances as a hedge against loosing everything.
Old 20-03-2013, 09:47   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I certainly would not want a policy that had any such qualifier. Even if one plans to have 3 on board, things can come up at the last minute. What is someone gets sick and you do an easy leg with just two people, and all of a sudden your insurance is no longer valid?

As a U.S. citizen two insurance brokerage companies I'd contact for coverage outside of U.S. are IMIS and Atlas.
Old 20-03-2013, 10:11   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not sure if still true, but I had a boat insured by All state years ago and they covered coastal waters to 75 miles out! Essentially you could sail from Seattle to San Diego and be covered by cheap regular pleasure boat insurance.
I've found Boat US to be one of the most expensive out there everytime I've gone through the quoting exercise....
When you think about it, any powerboater who wants to go salmon fishing out of say... Westport, must have insurance that covers them offshore cheaply.... The question is how far offshore.
Regarding Boat US towing insurance.... which one do you buy? I had it in Florida 3 years ago, I wont go into why, but I ran out of diesel on the Waterway. I was told it was going to cost me $600 for a tow one mile to a fuel dock.... even though I had their towing insurance... so the question is, do you have to buy only the very top end offering to ge any useful coverage at all? I think I had the tier 2 coverage.... I guess I find it pretty misleading in what they sell....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:26   #28

It's a free market, meaning you should feel free to shop for exactly the type of coverage you want, under the conditions you want, for the price you're willing to pay.

Boats US is pretty good in their market niche, but this might be getting outside of it.
Old 20-03-2013, 10:27   #29
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Regarding Boat US towing insurance.... which one do you buy? I had it in Florida 3 years ago, I wont go into why, but I ran out of diesel on the Waterway. I was told it was going to cost me $600 for a tow one mile to a fuel dock.... even though I had their towing insurance... so the question is, do you have to buy only the very top end offering to ge any useful coverage at all? I think I had the tier 2 coverage.... I guess I find it pretty misleading in what they sell....
On my first boat in the first 3 days, I went aground and ran out of fuel. The things a newbie learns

I have the Boat US Towing insurance, but I do have one of the upgraded polices even though my regular insurance has towing ($500 deductible). But the regular policy has a fuel delivery where they would bring you some fuel out.

One really has to read their policy, it isn't like they write it to protect you from them.
Old 20-03-2013, 10:29   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

I'll agree with the sentiment about BogUS. They quoted me nearly double a year for a policy that covered a value at one third of my auto and home carrier. My auto/homeowner carrier added a LOT of extras too, no deductible for total loss, $500 for less than total loss and more with a vanishing deductible. They also took into account my boating resume, prior ownership and that lowered the rate. Then dropped it more for rejoining the Power Squadron. Hint - they have a green creature as a mascot.

The only caveat was a general condition survey and they are sending me what is required for that today and were clear that it was making sure it was not wrecked and heavily modified from the factory.

For those that have homeowners and auto check with them.

Tags
cruising, Mexico

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: